Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion V - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
What's funny is he could produce like he is now (but in Boston) and people would think that's true. Charlie Coyle is a perfect example of that as his production is roughly the same as it was when he was in Minnesota. In his last 3 full seasons w/ Minny he was around a 48pt player. His first full season in Boston he was around a 43pt player.

Team
G
A
PTS
HIT
BLKS
TKA
GVA
Tk/Gv Diff
MIN ('15-'18)
18​
30​
48​
109​
66​
34​
32​
+2​
BOS ('19-'20)
19​
24​
43​
97​
40​
56​
39​
+17​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Not a huge difference, outside of getting exposure in a major market like Boston.

It's a good example, however the only difference in this situation....Minnesota expected more from Coyle because they saw him as a top 6 player. In Boston, he plays on our 3rd line but is just so much more effective because of the support.

I'd expect the same for Hanifin...coming here, he could produce the same amount of points and be that much better.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
It's a good example, however the only difference in this situation....Minnesota expected more from Coyle because they saw him as a top 6 player. In Boston, he plays on our 3rd line but is just so much more effective because of the support.

I'd expect the same for Hanifin...coming here, he could produce the same amount of points and be that much better.
If the Bruins get him for Ryan Donato and a 5th, I don't think anyone will complain about him.

Firsts and top prospects, though? That's paying for someone that isn't Noah Hanifin.

Reactions: bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

The coaching staff also doesn't shift him back and forth from C to RW (for the most part). The guy is a horse when he's constantly moving his feet, which he does a lot more in the middle.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
At the time...wasn't Donato considered a top prospect tho? So I dont believe paying the price for Hanifin is wrong.
He was, prior to the season. So you are correct there.

All we need is for Studnicka to completely fail during an extended audition this season while exhibiting attitude problems and I won't have a gripe about the comparison. Or a deal.

Reactions: Saxon Eric

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

There are fans in this forum that think Coyle can/should be the #2C and they should move Krejci. I agree on Hanifin though, he could have a year that's in line with career average and be viewed as "much better"

Reactions: Blowfish

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
He was, prior to the season. So you are correct there.

All we need is for Studnicka to completely fail during an extended audition this season while exhibiting attitude problems and I won't have a gripe about the comparison. Or a deal.

I personally dont think it would take Stud to acquire him...Bjork has potential...it just all depends what Calgary wants.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Half of them believe Hanifin being a local will magically change him into a good player if he's traded here. I expect them to be shocked like Calagary fans were when Alberta boy Bouwmeester was acquired by the Flames and kind of sucked.

The other half believe he's some guy named Hanafan.

To be fair, he is a good player. If he came to Boston he would be a top 4 D man as things stand and he is better than any of our options on left D except for Gryz who I think is a better all around player at this stage in their careers. Hanifin is a smooth skating big body with some skills and is young enough to emerge into something closer to what his draft status implied. That said, you are not incorrect in saying he is not worth a top package of something like Studnicka and a first. f*** that noise. Where he would fit as the fourth best D man on the Bruins probably a lesser prospect and a 2nd rounder would be fair value. Kase was mentioned, so give him, a minor prospect like Lauko or Hall, and a 2nd rounder and that would be fine.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Defensemen in their mid 20's are such a crapshoot.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hannafin is worth pursuing it's just that for every guy who we expect to improve significantly in his mid-late 20's, there are probably 5 that don't.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Noticed some jersey number swaps for a few of the players according to Bruins website. Sorry if mention somewhere else I didn't see. I think the Bruins are counting on them this year.
Jeremy Lauzon will wear #55
Jack Studnicka will wear #23
Trent Frederic will wear #11
Craig Smith will wear #22
Greg McKegg will wear #18
Guess this means that the B's are done with JFK and Cehlarik.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Okay, I have read a lot of post about Hanifan. Not sure why it makes sense for Calgary..BUT

1st) if Hanifan comes here Studnicka goes the other way.

2) Bennett probably wont be traded but would love to add him.

Long term success probably not best to trade Studnicka. Short term makes sense.

I love what these 2 players would add.

I'll give it a shot

Hanny and Benney
For
Studnicka, Bjork, Moore, 1st, Clifton.

Sign Chara 1yr/1 million

Marchand Bergy Pasta
Debrusk Krecji Smith
Bennett Coyle Kase
Ritchie Kuralry Wags
Kuhlman, Freddy.

Hanifan McAvoy
Gryz Carlo
Chara Lauzon/Miller

Zboril

Didn't do the math but might be over cap by peanuts.

That line up can smack you in the mouth
Keep the 1st and Studnicka out and instead add Gryz or Kase + Frederic or Beecher.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Do you think they go into the year without a captain if Zdeno doesn't sign? I figure they wait until it's 100% confirmed that Z isn't returning (i.e. signing elsewhere or retiring) to sew the C on Bergy's chest even though everyone knows he's the de facto captain.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Do you think they go into the year without a captain if Zdeno doesn't sign? I figure they wait until it's 100% confirmed that Z isn't returning (i.e. signing elsewhere or retiring) to sew the C on Bergy's chest even though everyone knows he's the de facto captain.
Put the C on Bergeron, he's 35 - Let him play out the rest of his career with it on his chest.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I hope the Bruins are in the market for Stamkos! He's one of the very few players in the league that is worth the money. I would give up half our organization to get him.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

Chara definitely makes sense from the Rangers perspective.

They’re young and who better to lead/usher in a professionally culture than him?

Can’t see TB trading anyone to the Bruins...regardless of the temporary division set up this year.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, but I think he's only 30? Truly an elite talent.

Do you think we'll be tougher this year? There's no way Cam can be happy with the passive group from last year. I feel like our coach likes a soft team for some reason.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
The thought of Chara playing for another team makes me sick to my stomach. This team can’t act like they haven’t relied on him heavily these last two seasons. Sure, he’s no longer a #1 but he played against top lines all year for a presidents trophy winning team. If management can’t see he’s worth whatever money we have left to offer then I simply can’t deal.

Reactions: Blowfish
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad