Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion V - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
That assumes Gryz will be the one Seattle takes. They could for sure, but who knows what they will want and need? There are so many variables in the mix here, especially several months out ahead of the draft. And then again, Seattle could be bought off to take a certain player without it costing an arm and a leg. I'd rather roll with Hanifin (should he come) and Grizz on the left this season than lose Grizz and make the same type of hole we just filled with Hanifin. Let the draft take care of itself.

They'd be nuts not to take Grizz, even if he doesn't fit in with their plans they take him and then flip him. He'll be the best asset the Bruins will have available. What are you going to give them to dissuade them from taking Grizz? It has to be an asset as good or better than Grizz otherwise they'd be nuts to take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Right , so shouldn't you then trade Grizz clearing the Cap space and getting back assets before you lose him to Seattle.

See, my line of thinking is that you’re going to lose a pretty good player in all this. So just bite the bullet and lose one of them.

If you trade Grzelcyk, what’s the return? Futures? That doesn’t help too much now which is where the Bruins still are. If you trade him for a legit piece, what if that piece needs protecting? You’re still in the same boat.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
They'd be nuts not to take Grizz, even if he doesn't fit in with their plans they take him and then flip him. He'll be the best asset the Bruins will have available. What are you going to give them to dissuade them from taking Grizz? It has to be an asset as good or better than Grizz otherwise they'd be nuts to take it.

just one example

lauzon + 1st/2nd
Grzelyck

which would you rather have? I’m leaning towards the former.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
just one example

lauzon + 1st/2nd
Grzelyck

which would you rather have? I’m leaning towards the former.

No brainer for me , I'll keep Lauzon and the picks.

I'd try to trade Grizz in a package deal for a top pairing D. I don't see Grizz as a top pairing D for an entire season especially one that is going to played at the pace this season will. Then Seattle can choose some one like Lauzon and I don't have to throw in a 1st as well.

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
You think a full year of Ritchie and Lauzon, getting Miller back, Frederic and Zboril making the team makes them softer? The only tough player vacating the roster is Chara, who while tougher than 99 percent of the league today, his playing days are coming to a close.
You didn't have those guys in your lineup. Yeah, they'll be much tougher if they go that route. Problem is our coach seems to hate any form of physical play. I think you're selling Chara short at 99%. I'd say it's 100 still. :nod:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I’ve always liked him

he turned 25 this month !!!! Have him in great condition and have skating coach work on his first couple of steps

put him on third line LW and power play and he will do great

he’s a excellent athlete beyond hockey

I can’t believe people want to toss him in the trash

I’d love to see Neely work with him as well

other then Gordie Howe the vintage healthy Cam Neely was the ultimate combo of skills and toughness

If I’m Neely I’m having Ritchie as a pet project

if Ritchie is a 15+ third liner that’s a major plus - I think he can be better than that

Third line third wheel with Coyle & Smith is fine - that line 650-675 lbs

Danton Heinen types unless they are good enough to play in top 6 I don’t want them on my bottom 6

Cant believe at 24 years old some are so quick to pronounce him a bust
I'd like Cam to brush his teeth and tuck him in at night if it will help. I loved the trade at the time and still do. I agree that he is a third liner (with Coyle and Bennett, btw)

Reactions: DKH

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You didn't have those guys in your lineup. Yeah, they'll be much tougher if they go that route. Problem is our coach seems to hate any form of physical play. I think you're selling Chara short at 99%. I'd say it's 100 still. :nod:

I think a lot of the players that we all want to see in the lineup internally from Providence have a lot to prove before penciling them in as everyday players. I think there's going to be quite a few revolving doors at certain positions until the cream rises ( if it even does ).

Reactions: Ritmo

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I think a lot of the players that we all want to see in the lineup internally from Providence have a lot to prove before penciling them in as everyday players. I think there's going to be quite a few revolving doors at certain positions until the cream rises ( if it even does ).
You’d think after 5 or 6 years of not having one they’d have drafted another top 6 winger to play with Krejci by accident by now. At this point the odds of it not happening seem greater

Reactions: PlayMakers

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I would make the deal for Hanifin . I would protect Hanifin, McAvoy, Carlo after that I could give a shit who gets claimed by Seattle. But a deal with a Calgary isn’t happening so it’s a moot point.

Reactions: JOKER 192

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Noticed some jersey number swaps for a few of the players according to Bruins website. Sorry if mention somewhere else I didn't see. I think the Bruins are counting on them this year.
Jeremy Lauzon will wear #55
Jack Studnicka will wear #23
Trent Frederic will wear #11
Craig Smith will wear #22
Greg McKegg will wear #18

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Kase and a small add.
That won’t get it done. Maybe Kase and one of the bruins young D and a second rd pk . Just being truthful with myself that probably won’t do it either. It would start with Debrusk or Grizz. If it’s Debrusk , I would sign Hoffman ASAP. If it was Grizz I would bring back Chara so I could cover myself . I don’t even think that would work cap wise but something along them lines.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
No brainer for me , I'll keep Lauzon and the picks.

I'd try to trade Grizz in a package deal for a top pairing D. I don't see Grizz as a top pairing D for an entire season especially one that is going to played at the pace this season will. Then Seattle can choose some one like Lauzon and I don't have to throw in a 1st as well.
I only lose Grizz if they got Hanifin . If one of JL, Clifton,UV play lights out they will lose one of them. With Grizz you know what you got. That is why making Debrusk the centerpiece of the deal and squeezing Hoffman in is a deal for the future and now. How bout this , break up the first line and move PB on the second line with him. If Marchand and Pasta aren’t ready for the season it will be like that anyway. It’s what a little over a 50 game season anyway .They need a fast start.. every game will be important

Reactions: JOKER 192

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Clifton and Urho don't need to be protected.

Clifton needs protecting, Vaak does not.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that you HAVE TO EXPOSE 1 defenceman that has played in 40 games during the 2020/2021 season or 70 games over 2019/2020 and 2020/2021.

Right now only Carlo, McAvoy and Gryz meet that.

Clifton needs to play 31, while Moore, Lauzon, Kampfer, Zboril and Miller need to play 40 to meet exposure requirements. They can still be chosen by Seattle, but one has to be made available that meets the criteria.

Unless the NHL, Seattle and the PA reach an agreement to somehow prorate everything, that's what you are dealing with.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Clifton needs protecting, Vaak does not.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that you HAVE TO EXPOSE 1 defenceman that has played in 40 games during the 2020/2021 season or 70 games over 2019/2020 and 2020/2021.

Right now only Carlo, McAvoy and Gryz meet that.

Clifton needs to play 31, while Moore, Lauzon, Kampfer, Zboril and Miller need to play 40 to meet exposure requirements. They can still be chosen by Seattle, but one has to be made available that meets the criteria.

Unless the NHL, Seattle and the PA reach an agreement to somehow prorate everything, that's what you are dealing with.

And if Chara comes back on a one year deal it’s all good, right?

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
And if Chara comes back on a one year deal it’s all good, right?
Assuming nothing changes then yes, all is good. Unless Chara officially retires before the draft.

Technically a player is still under contract for the draft, even ufa's to be and would require to be protected such as Krejci. If not, Seattle would get an exclusive 3 day window in which only they could talk to them. But even if the Bruins gave Chara a NMC, he would meet criteria because a team does not have to protect a player with a NMC on an expiring contract.

Reactions: PepeBostones

arider1990

Dec 9, 2018
I went back and looked at the lines that the Bruins had for game 2 of last season which not only did they have the most points, they also had the most wins. Tell me which lineup looks better to you.
2019-2020
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kuhlman
Heinen - Coyle - Ritchie
Wagner - Kuraly - Backes
Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Grzelcyk - Clifton
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Kase
Bjork - Coyle - Smith
Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner
Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Zboril - Carlo
Lauzon - Miller

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I just want hockey to start so we can see what the Bruins have ? I still expect them to make a few trades before the start or at the very least within a month of starting. There is simply to many if's at present.

Root

Feb 22, 2010

People are jumping the gun on Gryz. The Bruins have used him as a third pairing defenseman to this point, so how would Seattle be nuts not to take him? I like Gryz but we are going to find out a lot about him this year with Krug and Chara (most likely?) gone. There is a lot left to be determined on the player.

Personally, I think Lauzon jumps him in importance by the end of the season. I'm higher on Lauzon than most, and I'm putting more stock in what I saw in Lauzon before the bubble than during the bubble.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
People are jumping the gun on Gryz. The Bruins have used him as a third pairing defenseman to this point, so how would Seattle be nuts not to take him? I like Gryz but we are going to find out a lot about him this year with Krug and Chara (most likely?) gone. There is a lot left to be determined on the player.

Personally, I think Lauzon jumps him in importance by the end of the season. I'm higher on Lauzon than most, and I'm putting more stock in what I saw in Lauzon before the bubble than during the bubble.
I like Gryz and see his value and importance but I agree with you on Lauzon. I think he puts together a season where Sweeney and the brass will have to have very detailed conversations about which D is the 3rd one they protect. I don’t see them going the 4-4-1 protection option.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
That won’t get it done. Maybe Kase and one of the bruins young D and a second rd pk . Just being truthful with myself that probably won’t do it either. It would start with Debrusk or Grizz. If it’s Debrusk , I would sign Hoffman ASAP. If it was Grizz I would bring back Chara so I could cover myself . I don’t even think that would work cap wise but something along them lines.
What about Gryz + Kase + Kuhlman + 3rd rd pick for Hanifin + Bennett ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad