Boston Bruins 2020-2021 Roster Discussion V - STAY ON TOPIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
The thought of Chara playing for another team makes me sick to my stomach. This team can’t act like they haven’t relied on him heavily these last two seasons. Sure, he’s no longer a #1 but he played against top lines all year for a presidents trophy winning team. If management can’t see he’s worth whatever money we have left to offer then I simply can’t deal.
Laine would be a big interest. Stamkos is not coming here, Tampa isn’t dealing with the bruins. The Chara situation if he comes back or not I’m fine either way. The thing I don’t understand is I keep hearing the bruins have all these great young D on the roster or in the pipeline. I think it’s about time they start playing them or trading some. They just can’t keep holding off another year.

Reactions: bbfan419

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
The other thought I would not move Studnicka in a deal for Hanifin any other prospect I would. I would for Laine or a young goal scorer like him. Not necessarily him but like him.

My deal would look like this.. It would involve Calgary and the Bruins because I think they match up well. This is just IMO .

Calgary: Beecher, Bjork, Kase, UV
Boston : Hanifin , Bennett

It’s a win now and for the future move for bruins. The flames get young players they keep with them or latter can flip if they don’t want them. The money works salary wise .. I think lol

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I hope the Bruins are in the market for Stamkos! He's one of the very few players in the league that is worth the money. I would give up half our organization to get him.
I would love Stamkos with the Bruins, but not sure how much I would give up for him due to contract and more importantly his health. If he is 100% healthy and ready to play, yes he is someone I would target for the B's.

Reactions: BAD BOY

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The other thought I would not move Studnicka in a deal for Hanifin any other prospect I would. I would for Laine or a young goal scorer like him. Not necessarily him but like him.

My deal would look like this.. It would involve Calgary and the Bruins because I think they match up well. This is just IMO .

It’s a win now and for the future move for bruins. The flames get young players they keep with them or latter can flip if they don’t want them. The money works salary wise .. I think lol
I would do this deal, even though hate giving up Beecher and UV. I think Kase can be a 20 goal guy, Bjork not sure he may just be what he is a solid 4th line type player.

Reactions: BAD BOY

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I would do this deal, even though hate giving up Beecher and UV. I think Kase can be a 20 goal guy, Bjork not sure he may just be what he is a solid 4th line type player.

Bjork is a player I hope ,that has gotten stronger during the off season . I feel if he has put on some muscle and gets a chance , he can be a 20+ goal scorer in a full season. IMO the area he must improve most is being stronger on the puck, if he can he will be a solid middle winger, if not he will be out of the NHL at the end of his contract.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
1. McAvoy
2. Carlo
4. Gryzz
5. Lauzon
6. Moore/Miller/Clifton
unknown: Vaak/Zboril

McAvoy is a clear cut #1 guy. Everyone thinks of "bubble" Carlo when calling him a #3 or even a #4 but I thought for many stretches the last two years, he was our most consistent guy. He's a #2, anchors the second pair for sure.

Gryz to me can easily play in the top 4. He's better defensively than Krug and easily a better skater. I like him with Carlo on the second pair

That leaves a hole on the left side with McAvoy. Lauzon has looked like he belongs in the NHL but belonging in the NHL and playing against the best of the best every night are different things. I like his jam in regards to protecting McAvoy but I'm really hoping we have a Zboril/Vaak complete surprise in 2021.

Marshy-Bergy-Smith
1. I'd like to see what Craig Smith could do with these two. I actually think he's a real good fit.
Bjork-Krejci-Pasta
2.If Bjork can't crack it with Krejci and the rocket richard trophy winner, we dump him.............but I think the kid can pot 20-25 with these two
Debrusk-Coyle-Kase
3. Lotta speed and Coyle is nasty down low, love this line
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kuraly
4. Mix of skill, toughness, speed
Wagner/Lindholm

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
The thought of Chara playing for another team makes me sick to my stomach. This team can’t act like they haven’t relied on him heavily these last two seasons. Sure, he’s no longer a #1 but he played against top lines all year for a presidents trophy winning team. If management can’t see he’s worth whatever money we have left to offer then I simply can’t deal.

Chara was in the top 5 +/- Dman 2019 2020 one spot below Hedman and one spot above McAvoy last year.

I want Chara back...

Reactions: 4ORRBRUIN

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
1. McAvoy
2. Carlo
4. Gryzz
5. Lauzon
6. Moore/Miller/Clifton

McAvoy is a clear cut #1 guy. Everyone thinks of "bubble" Carlo when calling him a #3 or even a #4 but I thought for many stretches the last two years, he was our most consistent guy. He's a #2, anchors the second pair for sure.

Gryz to me can easily play in the top 4. He's better defensively than Krug and easily a better skater. I like him with Carlo on the second pair

That leaves a hole on the left side with McAvoy. Lauzon has looked like he belongs in the NHL but belonging in the NHL and playing against the best of the best every night are different things. I like his jam in regards to protecting McAvoy but I'm really hoping we have a Zboril/Vaak complete surprise in 2021.

Marshy-Bergy-Smith
1. I'd like to see what Craig Smith could do with these two. I actually think he's a real good fit.
Bjork-Krejci-Pasta
2.If Bjork can't crack it with Krejci and the rocket richard trophy winner, we dump him.............but I think the kid can pot 20-25 with these two
Debrusk-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kuraly
Wagner/Lindholm

This was a perfect post until I read "Ritchie"....

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
This was a perfect post until I read "Ritchie"....
Bedsides the fact that I would love Ryan Reaves here watching your head explode as Sweeney deals a young prospect for a 30+, huge, physical winger would get 2021 off to a great start. :sarcasm:

(I would love Reaves on the fourth line with Kuraly and Frederic)

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bedsides the fact that I would love Ryan Reaves here watching your head explode as Sweeney deals a young prospect for a 30+, huge, physical winger would get 2021 off to a great start. :sarcasm:

Not a bad option for the 4th line...
Talent Analysis

Reaves is a textbook role player. He isn’t a flashy skater or nifty stickhandler; instead he focuses on aspects of the game like physical play and grinding it out in the corners. He has good size and strength, as well as an athletic background. His father played with Winnipeg in the Canadian Football League. Reaves possesses a good work ethic and attitude, and is the type of player who can lead by example.

Reactions: Fenian24

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
So as everybody is making trades up saying "Sweeney can't give up another first" does that include this years? I know scouts look at previous seasons and project a few years down the line but with most of the CHL having shortened seasons, seasons that will not reflect players potential based on rule changes, etc is this years first really worth that much?

Reactions: sarge88

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So as everybody is making trades up saying "Sweeney can't give up another first" does that include this years? I know scouts look at previous seasons and project a few years down the line but with most of the CHL having shortened seasons, seasons that will not reflect players potential based on rule changes, etc is this years first really worth that much?

Good question - Probably a good year to give up a first not being able to see the full capability of younger players skillset in a shortened mangled up covid plagued season.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I know we disagree every blue moon lol however I just want to stress I have no issues with big physical players but they need to come with some ability especially skating as a strength...i hate watching players chase the play and unfortunately that's what they ended up with in Backes. Everyone wants a Tom Wilson. Would love him on the bruins. I just don't want to see slow lumbering ineffective players on the ice (also know as Peter Cehlarik).

What the bruins need is a young Shawn Thorton...can skate, strong effective puck pursuit, create scoring chances, play some pk, and can pot a few himself...

Reactions: Fenian24

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Not a bad option for the 4th line...
Talent Analysis

Reaves is a textbook role player. He isn’t a flashy skater or nifty stickhandler; instead he focuses on aspects of the game like physical play and grinding it out in the corners. He has good size and strength, as well as an athletic background. His father played with Winnipeg in the Canadian Football League. Reaves possesses a good work ethic and attitude, and is the type of player who can lead by example.
I see Frederic in that role but younger

Reactions: Blowfish

Root

Feb 22, 2010
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Coyle-Smith
Ritchie-Krejci-Kase/Studnicka
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Zboril/Chara-Miller/Clifton

Rask
Halak

Sign Chara. Shortened season, lots of back to backs, hopefully he is okay being the #6/#7 and being a mentor to the young guys.

For as much shit as Chara got for his play in the bubble I think a big part of the problem was Krug did not play at the same level that he did during the 2019 playoff run and, for as much as the Bruins love Gryz, they clearly don't completely trust him in a top 4 role against the best teams. The result was Chara being the only left side defenseman they trusted in a defensive role and he took on a lot of hard minutes. For me, a solid top-4 left shot defenseman was and remains our biggest need. Hopefully a young kid steps up, I think Lauzon will be good. Chara is a good guy to keep around and a no brainer as it stands right now.

Nick Ritchie just turned 25 and has averaged over 30 points per season in his career. Two seasons ago he was at over half a point per game. Clearly he needs to get in shape but the Bruins need to work with him and give him chances. There is a talented/unique player there. Obviously, if he comes in completely out of shape then that changes things, but if he's ready to go I want to see him get an extended look because he has proven he can produce at a better clip than Bjork and Kuhlman.

Studnicka, Frederic and Lauzon...I love these three players. Bruins need to keep all three, they are talented and all high character/leaders.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I hope the Bruins are in the market for Stamkos! He's one of the very few players in the league that is worth the money. I would give up half our organization to get him.

I can't see Tampa trading a top star to one of their rivals for the Eastern Conference crown.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Coyle-Smith
Ritchie-Krejci-Kase/Studnicka
Frederic-Kuraly-Wagner

Lauzon-McAvoy
Gryz-Carlo
Zboril/Chara-Miller/Clifton

Rask
Halak

Sign Chara. Shortened season, lots of back to backs, hopefully he is okay being the #6/#7 and being a mentor to the young guys.

For as much shit as Chara got for his play in the bubble I think a big part of the problem was Krug did not play at the same level that he did during the 2019 playoff run and, for as much as the Bruins love Gryz, they clearly don't completely trust him in a top 4 role against the best teams. The result was Chara being the only left side defenseman they trusted in a defensive role and he took on a lot of hard minutes. For me, a solid top-4 left shot defenseman was and remains our biggest need. Hopefully a young kid steps up, I think Lauzon will be good. Chara is a good guy to keep around and a no brainer as it stands right now.

Nick Ritchie just turned 25 and has averaged over 30 points per season in his career. Two seasons ago he was at over half a point per game. Clearly he needs to get in shape but the Bruins need to work with him and give him chances. There is a talented/unique player there. Obviously, if he comes in completely out of shape then that changes things, but if he's ready to go I want to see him get an extended look because he has proven he can produce at a better clip than Bjork and Kuhlman.

Studnicka, Frederic and Lauzon...I love these three players. Bruins need to keep all three, they are talented and all high character/leaders.

It sure would solve a lot if he could step in, its just whether you want a kid who only played 19 games last year matching up against top lines as the #1LD. Yes, maybe he can handle it. Or maybe its too much and you kill his confidence.

Root

Feb 22, 2010
It sure would solve a lot if he could step in, its just whether you want a kid who only played 19 games last year matching up against top lines as the #1LD. Yes, maybe he can handle it. Or maybe its too much and you kill his confidence.

I agree, it is far from ideal. But looking at what they have right now I think he might be the best option. In an ideal word they would trade for a top 4 left defenseman and everyone would slot back where they should be...

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I can't see Tampa trading a top star to one of their rivals for the Eastern Conference crown.
Also, consider that Stamkos has a no-trade. Why, after winning a SC and settling in a very desirable area, would he want to uproot his family where there is no financial advantage (indeed a disadvantage) in doing so?

Last edited:

goalieman40

Feb 27, 2006
New Hampshire
Marshy-Bergy-Smith
Bjork-Krejci-Pasta
Debrusk-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kuraly
Wagner/Lindholm

i like this, even just to give it a try early in the season. I think they need to test out shuffling the lines. Chicago used to do it all the time with Toews and Kane - split them up, reunite, split..

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

Love to have Laine, an outstanding goal scorer, on this team and would give a lot to get him. But how can it be a "win for the future" for the Bruins if he's only signed for one more year? I realize there will be cap money available, but there's no guarantee he'll re-sign.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
1. McAvoy
2. Carlo
4. Gryzz
5. Lauzon
6. Moore/Miller/Clifton

Marshy-Bergy-Smith
Bjork-Krejci-Pasta
Debrusk-Coyle-Kase
Ritchie-Studnicka-Kuraly
Wagner/Lindholm
like it except for Bjork. I just dont see what others see. obviously im not a scout, but I hope Sweeney was right in giving him a 3 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad