Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Erh, Christophe Galtier is the coach for the second ranked team in L1.
Pepe can play 10 or second striker, but is more of a winger.
AC Milan? He said CL. Not sure Milan is there. I don't think Milan is what Galtier thinks of when he says "le plus haut possible". It clearly means top 5-6 club. Bayern is a possibility since they'll likely buy wingers.
Atletico seems far-fetched IMO.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
About Nicolas Pepe's summer transfer, Christophe Galtier had this to say today :
"Il réalise une grande saison et il va encore progresser. Il doit aller dans un club de Ligue des champions. A mon sens, il n'a pas besoin d'étape intermédiaire pour aller le plus haut possible. Je le vois bien dans une équipe qui joue en rouge".
Basically, it means he'll progress some more and he must play on a team that plays the CL. Doesn't need another step before going to a major club.
Thinks he's going to play in red next year.
So Arsenal won't play the CL (they're heavily interested) and are out.
PSG isn't playing in red most of the time at home. They do play in red away, but I doubt it's what he meant.
So we're left with likely Liverpool or United.... or Lille...

Welcome to Red Star Belgrade

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Erh, Christophe Galtier is the coach for the second ranked team in L1.
Pepe can play 10 or second striker, but is more of a winger.
AC Milan? He said CL. Not sure Milan is there. I don't think Milan is what Galtier thinks of when he says "le plus haut possible". It clearly means top 5-6 club. Bayern is a possibility since they'll likely buy wingers.
Atletico seems far-fetched IMO.
Apparently it was a joke to create fuss and he clearly meant Lille (his own team).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
That one point between united and arsenal is that big of a gap, huh?
Ah, I have no problem with Arsenal reaching the CL, but United are on fire. Again the dynamic is in their favor.
Now, that doesn't mean it won't change, but I think in people's mind right now, United are bound to CL, Arsenal not so much.
Of course anything can change.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Is he still a free agent?

Kid's gunna get paid. Especially after Juve dished out that ludicrous cash for Ramsey.

I think we'll see more and more players taking this approach of just letting their contracts run out. The money is just too good.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It is when you see these two teams play.

Maybe with United's recent form, but on the season, not really.
Ah, I have no problem with Arsenal reaching the CL, but United are on fire. Again the dynamic is in their favor.
Now, that doesn't mean it won't change, but I think in people's mind right now, United are bound to CL, Arsenal not so much.
Of course anything can change.

Fair enough. I just wouldn't rule it out quite yet. Plus, Arsenal is going to win Europa ;)

Reactions: Evilo

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Tottenham 'ready to invest' in player, Spurs offer already 'on the table' for summer move - Sport Witness

I quite like this guy , I think he'd be a nice add for Spurs , and a good succession plan (along with Sanchez) for Spurs at CB.

Succession plan is already there in Foyth, but I like the idea of one more solid player on the assembly line.

I hope Alderweireld stay, but Spurs are lucky having Sanchez and Foyth. So whatever happens it should be OK. Sanchez is finally looking like a top class CB in the making and Foyth got all the potential in the world (still very raw of course).

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Quite the downgrade from Toby...

Sure. I don't think Spurs would ever be in the market for a ready-made replacement.

They need to develop their players , nothing wrong with that. I think this guy could become a really good player.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Succession plan is already there in Foyth, but I like the idea of one more solid player on the assembly line.

I hope Alderweireld stay, but Spurs are lucky having Sanchez and Foyth. So whatever happens it should be OK. Sanchez is finally looking like a top class CB in the making and Foyth got all the potential in the world (still very raw of course).

I actually like this guy more than Foyth , personally. I think he's better right now , and I think he has higher upside.

Big fan of Sanchez , though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not sure why some are so fixated with subjective definitions.
Everyone has opinions. As long as healthy discussion can be had and at the end of the day, as adults, we can accept that not everyone has to share the same opinion...it's all good. Rare as that may sound.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm not sure why some are so fixated with subjective definitions.
Everyone has opinions. As long as healthy discussion can be had and at the end of the day, as adults, we can accept that not everyone has to share the same opinion...it's all good. Rare as that may sound.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yeah. It is not like you react whenever a Liverpool-player is questioned. If you really want to foster a good discussion you might want to argue WHY Sanchez will ever be a top class CB? That could actually be interesting as all fans get a bit blind when it comes to their own players.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I actually like this guy more than Foyth , personally. I think he's better right now , and I think he has higher upside.

Big fan of Sanchez , though.

I couldn´t tell. I have watched every single minute Foyth has played for Spurs (not Argentina) and I´m still very uncertain about where he ends up. Even more so with Andersen (because I know him even less).

To me Foyth´s potential is sky high. Obviously he will always be limited by his size, but it is possible to get around that with some additional cleverness. Carvalho at Chelsea was rarely exposed as an example. And he needs to get rid of many of those high profile mistakes. Silly penalties etc. That doesn´t worry me though. Even Titus Bramble more or less cleaned up his game in the end. Everything else he is already very very good. Great awareness (except for those Rio-like moments already mentioned). Exceptionally brave for a young player. Already got those last ditch tackles in him. On the ball he is really not a CB, but more a AM. If he just gets better at knowing when to be daring and when to play it safe he will be a world class CB in possession.

In any case. Spurs need more CBs than Vertonghen, Sanchez and Foyth if, or I believe rather when, Alderweireld leaves. That player must not be Dier as he is a disaster at CB. And there is nothing to suggest Carter-Vickers will ever be even close to the required quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad