Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They would have to

Yeah, if we've all learned anything from Coutinho it is that a team should spend a massive pile of money on specific players in the wake of such a sale.

Buying Rashford would be completely idiotic though, not only that but United are a much bigger club than Tottenham. Would never ever happen.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
OGS almost joined Spurs as a player so maybe he’ll come with Rashford then?

As for paying 120m. No. Rashford got all the potential in the world, but the risk would just be too high. And he wouldn’t really be able to replace Kane due to his style being so different. He would be more of a replacement for Son.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
One can dream, but that is completely unrealistic (unless you are a Liverpool-fan ;)).

I´m expecting Kane to have a Henry-like career. If he leaves it will be at the end of his career - assuming Spurs are not more competitive than they currently are.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, if we've all learned anything from Coutinho it is that a team should spend a massive pile of money on specific players in the wake of such a sale.

Buying Rashford would be completely idiotic though, not only that but United are a much bigger club than Tottenham. Would never ever happen.
Normally I agree, but striker is the one position you don't mess around with

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Normally I agree, but striker is the one position you don't mess around with

What does that mean?

Three of the most expensive transfers to (or within) the PL are Lukaku, Morata and Torres (to Chelsea). Without having studied it in detail I wouldn´t be surprised if paying a lot for forwards/strikers gives you the least bang for the buck. Not saying they all fail of course (Aguero etc.).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What does that mean?

Three of the most expensive transfers to (or within) the PL are Lukaku, Morata and Torres (to Chelsea). Without having studied it in detail I wouldn´t be surprised if paying a lot for forwards/strikers gives you the least bang for the buck. Not saying they all fail of course (Aguero etc.).
I mean there are both cases, but look at how losing Suarez set Liverpool back, and how many failures, especially at big money that they had to try to get in there. It's definitely an area that you need to make a high investment in, but it needs to be the right investment.

The Lukaku/Morata stuff was very weird, with them supposed to be going to the other teams. Chelsea bought Torres because that was Abramovic's son favorite player, and that's when Chelsea had infinity money. A lot of the bigger moves failed because players were bought for the wrong reasons, or the wrong circumstances, but my point is when you lose a big talent at that position, you need to act fast and get the right guy in, not just any guy.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Absolutely agree having a top class player in that position (or at least a forward type like Salah, Bale, Hazard etc. if he isn´t a striker) is important, but if Spurs lose Kane they need to spend that money improving on several other positions because he will never be replaced 1 to 1.

Any team losing a player as good as Suarez was back then will have a set back. Arguably Liverpool have become successful by not directly replacing him. That is obviously a bit random, but still.

I remember reports of Lamela being better than Bale. Ah. Internet message boards :D

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Rashford has been with United since he was 7. They’re supposedly close to a 6 year extension with him. He’s not going to Spurs.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He also inherited an aging core in FFP hell and only had a couple months to clean it up. Sabatini (and by extension Spalletti) went all in that season. They were knocked out by Porto in the CL preliminaries , and decided to not balance the books that winter mercato.

Monchi's hands were tied with Salah and Rudiger. He needed to make money -- and in a hurry. Not to mention they wanted to leave. Specifically in the case of Salah , who felt he had unfinished business in England. (we also can't hope to match Premier League wages)

Salah and Alisson are the only "world class" players he's sold. Unless you foolishly include Radja in that classification.

Like I said, Salah leaving was a foregone conclusion before he took the job , and he sold Alisson for a (then) world record fee.

FFP: Roma clear, Inter partial | Football Italia

At the time they sold Salah and Rudiger, they were FFP compliant. Monchi even said Rudiger was staying and then sold him a few months later for pennies on the dollar. And we know what happened with Salah, who is already one of PL greatest ever players and fastest to 50 league goals.

Selling Alisson was a bad move considering they replaced him with a sieve in Olsen. Even worse when you consider what Kepa was sold for shortly. Pure bad business.

Gonalons- 5m (will be flipped this summer)
Moreno- 5m (sold for 6m six months later)
Silva- a 6 month loan
Pastore- his biggest mistake , no argument from me
Olsen- 7.5m

In what world is that a lot of money?
It is for a club like Roma. Put on the weekly wages and it gets difficult for them. It's the same issue at Arsenal. They sign plugs like El-Neny for moderate fee, but the useless players accumulate and you lose financial flexibility to make transfers/re-sign important players.

The jury is out on them making top 4. The jury isn't out on the youth movement at all.

Cristante
Zaniolo
Kluivert
Lorenzo Pellegrini
Luca Pellegrini
Karsdorp
Under

......all added in 4 transfer windows. People seem to lose sight of this, but he's only been on the job a year and half , and he didn't get to start with anything resembling a clean slate.

Only Pellegrini is among top 10 in their total mins played this season. A lot of them aren't established players, so yes, the jury is definitely out on them still.

Look at the likes of Radja and Strootman now. He moved them on at the right time.

He replaced them with aging Pastore and Nzonzi and they're worse off for it.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
FFP: Roma clear, Inter partial | Football Italia

At the time they sold Salah and Rudiger, they were FFP compliant.

LOL , I love when someone tries to educate me on the club I support. That link doesn't show anything, man. It's talking about Roma being compliant --as in, they had a meeting with UEFA, and they came to agreement-- not as in they had no payments to make. Good grief. Re-read it , or do some damn research on the topic.

They had an FFP payment on June 30th (as in the new fiscal cycle) which was pretty damn high. I lived it , and followed it ... I can assure you I know what the hell I'm talking about.

Monchi even said Rudiger was staying and then sold him a few months later for pennies on the dollar.

Yes, he also said Alisson was staying , he also said Paredes (another FFP causality) was staying , and on and on. Why? Because he knows the media will pounce on it , spread it around , and rival DoF's won't try to purge the club. Sabatini did the exact same thing. Such is life as Roma's DoF.

Also, Rudiger was pennies on the dollar? He was sold for 31.5m in the pre-Neymar market. How in the hell is that "pennies"?

Even this season, that fee would be the 7th highest for defenders. Give me mercy....

Selling Alisson was a bad move considering they replaced him with a sieve in Olsen. Even worse when you consider what Kepa was sold for shortly. Pure bad business.

How is selling a GK for a record fee bad business , again? Yes, Olsen hasn't been great , but that has nothing to do with the sale.

And Kepa was bad business. Chelsea paid way over the odds and had to exercise his bloated release clause because of the mess they put themselves into with Courtois.

How in the hell does that reflect badly on Monchi? It's beyond irrelevant and holds no merit whatsoever. People were stunned over the Kepa fee , and there's literally no way of foreseeing that happening.

It is for a club like Roma. Put on the weekly wages and it gets difficult for them. It's the same issue at Arsenal.

Dude. The names you mentioned (outside of Pastore) totalled up to 17.5m. Yes, Roma isn't supremely wealthy, but no, that's not crippling money. Like I told you, we made a profit on Moreno, and will likely break even on Gonalons.

Pastore is an issue that needs to resolved , you won't get any argument from me on that guy. That said , every manager and DoF has made mistakes , and the rationale was clear if you followed last season.

Only Pellegrini is among top 10 in their total mins played this season. A lot of them aren't established players, so yes, the jury is definitely out on them still.

....what? Minutes played?

Cristante is definitely in the top 10 , I dunno where you found these stats; Under has been injured and would be otherwise; Zaniolo is 19 and has just really broken into the team; Karsdorp is finally healthy after being injured for like a year and a half; Schick plays consistently; Kluivert's 19 in a new league. .... I mean, what kind of gauge is this?

You really have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

He replaced them with aging Pastore and Nzonzi and they're worse off for it.

Nzonzi>Strootman and it ain't even close. I know your "generational DM" Torreira is the gold-standard , though.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Bayern are targeting Dusan Tadic, who's been nothing but spectacular for Ajax. Hard to keep him.

I think only Blind, Maraoui and Schöne are locks to remain in Amsterdam. Neres and van de Beek could as well, but with so many leaving, they will likely decide to stay and show their worth as full time regulars. But that's about 7 holes to fill within our starting eleven.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad