Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Anyway. We seem to agree. I don’t think loaning players out like that will ruin every career. And it doesn’t seem like you think it is a very good idea for developing them either.

Yeah, we mostly agree. Chelsea are not good at developing youth, which is really the main point. The loan system is a revenue generator for us.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Salah, De Bruyne, and Courtois were pretty much unknowns. They were discovered by scouts and convinced to buy when we played against them in Europe. Prices were a bit lower back then, but none of them cost that much, Lukaku was the only one with real competition and a bidding war.

I would disagree on at least Salah and Courtois. I knew very well who Courtois was before Chelsea bought him and I really don’t follow the Belgian league.

Might be worth remembering that when Chelsea paid 9m EUR for him in 2011 the biggest signing Spurs did that summer was Parker for 5m GBP. And that the 10th most expensive signing for any PL team was Henderson at 16m GBP. Courtois wasn’t some unknown kid that got picked up for a small amount. He was a highly regarded player Chelsea paid significant money for. Obviously well done, but not that special in terms of finding a gem.

That is further back in history, but Chelsea won battles for Mikel and the mentioned Lukaku. Chelsea was a place players really wanted to go to. That is the reason why I think that list of successes is shockingly short. Chelsea had the money and the reputation. Still so little to show for. Whatever the reason is. Scouting or development.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I couldn´t tell. I have watched every single minute Foyth has played for Spurs (not Argentina) and I´m still very uncertain about where he ends up. Even more so with Andersen (because I know him even less).

He was amazing for Argentina. He's rated pretty highly there. Will be 3rd choice CB for the copa with a chance of stealing a starting spot.

To me Foyth´s potential is sky high. Obviously he will always be limited by his size, but it is possible to get around that with some additional cleverness. Carvalho at Chelsea was rarely exposed as an example. And he needs to get rid of many of those high profile mistakes. Silly penalties etc. That doesn´t worry me though. Even Titus Bramble more or less cleaned up his game in the end. Everything else he is already very very good. Great awareness (except for those Rio-like moments already mentioned). Exceptionally brave for a young player. Already got those last ditch tackles in him. On the ball he is really not a CB, but more a AM. If he just gets better at knowing when to be daring and when to play it safe he will be a world class CB in possession.

He's pretty smart so, Im confident he cleans up his game which as you accurately state is pretty raw. He's 6'1 which is no tower but it's pretty decent height still. Funny you mention AM when he's on the ball that's how he started his career as. It shows too. I don't know how good he will be but he has loads of potential. Right now the only glaring weakness I see is rash challenges everything else is top notch for his age. Spurs would be smart to give him his chances though as he can be WC.

I really like Foyth. Incredibly "smooth" for a centre-half. Didn't watch his games for Argentina but he was MOTM in his debut.

Here's to hoping that he doesn't have too many Chiriches moments because of his overconfidence.

Like I said he was amazing in that game and he even was injured just before the match and was questionable as a starter

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
But why would he leave powerhouse Roma for midtable Arsenal??
Roma are Midtable too, except they play in a league that is only slightly better than the farmer's league.

I don't really like it. With Monchi in charge, they pretty much dismantled an amazing core of players without getting much in return (Pjanic, Rudiger, Salah, Alisson, etc). This is a big issue considering the team still needs to sell a lot of pieces within the next few transfer windows. At that point, why even get rid of Gazidis/Wenger? They did the same thing for years.

Wwyd when he sells Torreira to Man Utd for 25mil and they win the league with him?

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Roma are Midtable too, except they play in a league that is only slightly better than the farmer's league.

I don't really like it. With Monchi in charge, they pretty much dismantled an amazing core of players without getting much in return (Pjanic, Rudiger, Salah, Alisson, etc). This is a big issue considering the team still needs to sell a lot of pieces within the next few transfer windows. At that point, why even get rid of Gazidis/Wenger? They did the same thing for years.

Wwyd when he sells Torreira to Man Utd for 25mil and they win the league with him?

Didn't he have to sell those players because Roma was in FFP? And then he signed Under, Kluivert and Zanolio to rebuild?

I wouldn't mind if he got rid of the garbage at Arsenal and signed some younger players.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Monchi is not the reason why they sell players lool. He's fantastic at finding talent and he wasn't even on Roma when Pjanic left. The return on Rudiger and Allisson is hardly anything to scoff at.

I guess there's only one league the rest of the footballers are a bunch of farmers.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Didn't he have to sell those players because Roma was in FFP? And then he signed Under, Kluivert and Zanolio to rebuild?

I wouldn't mind if he got rid of the garbage at Arsenal and signed some younger players.

Yes , and no. I could explain it out , but it would likely bore you all.

Cassano doesn't know what he's talking about, though.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Inherited them when 2nd, sold a bunch of world class players and bought crap in return for the most part. Patrik Schick is their record signing for example.

Gonalons, Hector Moreno, Silva, Pastore, Olsen are all crap players they spent a lot of money on.

Jury is out on their 'youth movement' as well.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Inherited them when 2nd

He also inherited an aging core in FFP hell and only had a couple months to clean it up. Sabatini (and by extension Spalletti) went all in that season. They were knocked out by Porto in the CL preliminaries , and decided to not balance the books that winter mercato.

Monchi's hands were tied with Salah and Rudiger. He needed to make money -- and in a hurry. Not to mention they wanted to leave. Specifically in the case of Salah , who felt he had unfinished business in England. (we also can't hope to match Premier League wages)

sold a bunch of world class players

Salah and Alisson are the only "world class" players he's sold. Unless you foolishly include Radja in that classification.

Like I said, Salah leaving was a foregone conclusion before he took the job , and he sold Alisson for a (then) world record fee.

Gonalons, Hector Moreno, Silva, Pastore, Olsen are all crap players they spent a lot of money on.

Gonalons- 5m (will be flipped this summer)
Moreno- 5m (sold for 6m six months later)
Silva- a 6 month loan
Pastore- his biggest mistake , no argument from me
Olsen- 7.5m

In what world is that a lot of money?

Jury is out on their 'youth movement' as well.

The jury is out on them making top 4. The jury isn't out on the youth movement at all.

Cristante
Zaniolo
Kluivert
Lorenzo Pellegrini
Luca Pellegrini
Karsdorp
Under

......all added in 4 transfer windows. People seem to lose sight of this, but he's only been on the job a year and half , and he didn't get to start with anything resembling a clean slate.

Really, the only concerning one is Schick , and it's still too soon to write him off. His transfer is also loaded with performance bonuses/payments to Sampdoria (which it's safe to say, he hasn't hit) We're in a much better position going forward with those pieces than we would be had we of tried to keep that Sabatini core together.

Look at the likes of Radja and Strootman now. He moved them on at the right time.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Pastore isn't crap. He's just never healthy and when he's on the pitch, he's usually coming off injury and about to get injured again.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
That and he's lazy AF.

lol , yeah I'm not a fan. I didn't like the transfer from day 1 , but I was willing to give it a shot.

I understood the rationale because we really struggled to break down packed defenses last season , and Pellegrini was still thought of as a CM (and he hadn't played well yet) , and Zaniolo has just come outta nowhere.

He's been beat out by a 22 and 19 year old , which on one hand, is exactly what we want , but on the other hand , we unfortunately now have an expensive soon-to-be 30 year old on high wages (by our standards) chilling on the bench.

He's really just a worse version of Ozil , in more ways than one.

Incredibly technically gifted, without a doubt, but I think most Roma fans were a little too nostalgic about his days in Palermo.

Fingers crossed China comes in and saves the day , otherwise I dunno how we're getting out from that one.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But he can make world class passes look easy.
You think Messi or Ronaldo aren't lazy defensively?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not at their peak plus those players given their production can afford to be. Pastore has always been lazy even at a young age. Probably leads to many injuries he doesn't keep himself match fit.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018

If Pastore had even a fraction of their production , I'd make an exception for him. Trust me, it's been pretty bad this season. He just gets physically dominated out there.

He's honestly a poor man's Ozil.

You need to have a much better team than Roma's to integrate him into a winning side, imo. We don't dominate games like PSG and he can't just be "a guy" on a stacked side.

He's fun to watch when we're up 2-0 and the game opens up (which almost never happens) , but when we're down 1-0 in Bergamo , the dude just won't dig in at all.

We brought him in to be a key player on a weaker team , and he just hasn't been that guy in a long time.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Messi can be lazy, but generally not that much. Both pressed really well against Sevilla today and Messi's pressing essentially led to him getting a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->