Transfer: 2019 Winter Transfer Rumors and Discussion Part III

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Ramsey signs 4 yr deal worth 400k a week.

Reminder that he is a bench player for Arsenal.
I wouldn't classify him as bad because he has been a bench player for us. Ramsey should do very well with the talent he will be surrounded with at Juve...until he pulls his hamstring and is out three weeks losing any good form he was building up the previous month.

God I wish I was a better footballer.
I remember watching a documentary about lower league football and you can still make a very decent living, around 80k (pounds) per year being in the 3rd or 4th division.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I wouldn't classify him as bad because he has been a bench player for us. Ramsey should do very well with the talent he will be surrounded with at Juve...until he pulls his hamstring and is out three weeks losing any good form he was building up the previous month.

I remember watching a documentary about lower league football and you can still make a very decent living, around 80k (pounds) per year being in the 3rd or 4th division.
In my head I'm convinced I could be a 4th division keeper. But I have no idea if that's true or not. Part of me wishes I grew up in England so I could have found out.

United

Mar 3, 2018

I remember watching a documentary about lower league footballers and you can still make a very decent living, around 80k (pounds) per year being in the 3rd or 4th division.

There was a documentary a few years ago in which there was a crazy stat which showed that a lot of players (mostly English players playing in lower English divisions) those who made a lot of money during their career quickly became broke after they were finished playing because of their lifestyle that they struggled to change after retirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
There was a documentary a few years ago in which there was a crazy stat which showed that a lot of players (mostly English players playing in lower English divisions) those made a lot of money during their career quickly became broke after they were finished playing because of their lifestyle that they struggled to change after retirement.
Yep, it's not like they are developing skills for the regular job market. There can only be so many coaches and scouts.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I do wonder how it's structured. There may be clauses to cut that amount significantly if he's out injured (pure spec, for all I know teams might not even be allowed to do that in football, though a standard "bonus per game played" should be possible)

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Isn't Juventus also paying Emre Can pretty high wages? You can afford higher wages when you sign frees, no?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Money is money. Pay less in fees pay more in wages. Juventus can’t afford both so they end up with good, but not great players on high salaries.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The board are super cheap. I was mighty surprised when they splurged for Cristiano.

That is what they seem to do though. They splashed the money on Higuain as well (too much in my opinion).

Fair play to Juventus staying competitive though. Financially they can’t match the two Spanish giants, BM, Utd and whatever teams being bought by someone from Russia or the Middle East. On the pitch they have matched them the last years. Don’t think that will last, but they have now created a niche for themselves being attractive to free agents. Maybe they can do a Chelsea stockpiling them for then to sell the ones that are not good enough at a small profit?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Money is money. Pay less in fees pay more in wages. Juventus can’t afford both so they end up with good, but not great players on high salaries.
Why didn't they just sign Rabiot who is better than Ramsey.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Good question. They might still do? Or Rabiot is set on something “bigger”?

That said I believe Ramsey is quite underrated. He has shown with Wales that he can carry a team pretty much in terms of his play making (obviously with Bale). If he can reach that kind of level consistently with Juventus he’ll be a fantastic player for them.

Reactions: Cassano

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
That is what they seem to do though. They splashed the money on Higuain as well (too much in my opinion).

Fair play to Juventus staying competitive though. Financially they can’t match the two Spanish giants, BM, Utd and whatever teams being bought by someone from Russia or the Middle East. On the pitch they have matched them the last years. Don’t think that will last, but they have now created a niche for themselves being attractive to free agents. Maybe they can do a Chelsea stockpiling them for then to sell the ones that are not good enough at a small profit?

That one shocked me even more because it was Higuain and for that price. They did have the money because they just sold Pogba.

I hope they can compete with the big teams financial wise one day.

I asked myself the same question. I am not saying Ramsey is a bad player it's his injury history that leaves me questioning why they signed him.

There's no question, Juventus are allergic to buying midfielders unless they are free.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That one shocked me even more because it was Higuain and for that price. They did have the money because they just sold Pogba.

I hope they can compete with the big teams financial wise one day.

Correct. Just such a stupid thing to do though - just because you got cash you have to use it right away? Wasn´t as bad as Andy Carroll of course, but I still think Juventus could have spent that money better. Spurs did the same after Bale. Even though it has to be said it kind of worked out well in the end as one of the players they bought were Eriksen. And they did get a lot of the money back on the other failed buys, but generally speaking they just lowered their standard because they suddenly had cash.

I hope you are right. I love it when Italy got strong teams. European football is not the same when Italy is down. However, Juventus is now generating less revenue than a team like Tottenham. I´m not sure how then can close the gap to the really big teams? I think it at least requires Serie A in general to become bigger. Not sure how likely that is. I think longer term the Bundesliga is more likely to catch up the PL than any other league due to the strength of the German economy and German firms (for sponsorships). Can Juventus build a brand like RM and Barcelona? Unfortunately I doubt it. I think Serie A had something brilliant going 20 years ago or something, but that the golden era is unfortunately likely gone (even if Brexit and other things might change things in England a bit).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00