2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sure, just seems early to start. When I read about the maintenance days it seemed more like he would sit out on optional skates, and if something was off he would skip practices. But what do I know, I'm certainly not a trainer or a doctor. I'm sure my issues just stem from there alllllways being something wrong, and I'm all for Murr taking days off, if it means he is healthy for more games. Just getting nervous is all :scared:

I think it's just treating today more like an optional skate, which frankly is fine with me. He knows how to play the right way and has had to learn his own ways of preparing for the season so he doesn't need every day in camp.

I'm just comparing it to my own chronic issues and how that interferes with my training / playing schedule. Last week I played 3 soccer games. I normally only play 2 but I was feeling great so I went to the third, and by the end of the game my neck/back was tightening up again and I've been unable to train since. I should have skipped the third game. I'm nervous about Murray's health too, I'm sure he is as well. My point is just that precaution is not necessarily coming from some new injury or bad feeling.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I hope Murray plays fantastic out of the gate and we trade him shortly thereafter. Nothing personal against him and I wish him well - but we have too many D and I just don't want to have to count on him.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
And Torts camp is excessive anyway. No other team does 2 miles run and 72 laps next day.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
First preseason game and it looks like some NHL D (Werenski-Jones & Kukan-Gavrikov), Korpi, and mostly AHL wingers. Buffalo played last night and went to OT, so we may not see Eichel, Skinner, etc. since it's a back-to-back.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I hope Murray plays fantastic out of the gate and we trade him shortly thereafter. Nothing personal against him and I wish him well - but we have too many D and I just don't want to have to count on him.

For that same reason his trade value is probably super low. That and word hasn't gotten around how good he was last year. I think Murray's trade value is probably the lowest relative to the value he provides the team.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
From Dec. 23 until the end of the season (46 games), Bjorkstrand was one of the most offensively dangerous players in the NHL. His 20 goals were tops on the Blue Jackets and tied for 19th in the NHL with some marquee players — Tampa Bay’s Brayden Point, Calgary’s Johnny Gaudreau, Florida’s Aleksander Barkov, etc.
“It’s not his gifts, and it’s not his goal-scoring,” Tortorella said, explaining what impressed him about Bjorkstrand’s second-half play. “It’s just how hard he worked around the puck, how hard he worked at his positioning, his wall play … everything about his determination within the game, I thought, had a tremendous improvement in the second half.
“He has to find his determination right away (this season), without somebody prodding him … meaning me. I think it’s part of maturity, part of the process for a young player. We all know what he is as far as the skill and how he can shoot the puck, the different angles it comes off his stick. We all know that.
“I think he found a little bit of a recipe, and he’s going to take care of (the slow starts) by himself.”

Blue Jackets counting on The Maestro, Oliver Bjorkstrand, to...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Wasn't sure where to put this (and it really doesn't add anything we don't know, but..)

But don’t forget the Columbus Blue Jackets in all this. They’re 10-11 deep in NHL blueliners and outside of Seth Jones and Zach Werenski, who aren’t going anywhere, it’s anyone’s guess on the remaining lot. There’s Ryan Murray, David Savard, Markus Nutivaara, Scott Harrington, Dean Kukan, Adam Clendening, Vladislav Gavrikov, Gabriel Carlsson and the sense is Andrew Peeke isn’t that far off from making the jump. One of those D could certainly move within the next few weeks. Of that lot, I would think the veterans Murray and Savard would interest most depending on a team’s need on the left (Murray) or right (Savard) side.

One source suggested Thursday that the Florida Panthers covet a shutdown, left-side D. It doesn’t sound like something that has any urgency to it but it is an organizational wish list item for this season. The Panthers have the smooth-skating Keith Yandle and Mike Matheson on the left side but would like to also add a more stay-at-home, shutdown type on the left.

The Winnipeg Jets are a team to watch, already dramatically depleted on the blueline by the offseason losses of Jacob Trouba, Tyler Myers and Ben Chiarot and now the news, first reported by my TSN colleague Bob McKenzie, that Dustin Byfuglien is taking time to reflect on his playing future (wish that guy all the best, one of my favorite players to watch and deal with over the years).

As I tweeted in the aftermath of that, it would make sense that the Jets would be monitoring the Faulk and Ristolainen situations as a fallback in case Byfuglien retires, but there’s also Columbus’ blueline depth that the Jets could reach into if they saw fit.

Speaking of the Jackets …

Colleague Aaron Portzline reminded us earlier this week that Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen has lots of cap space and is believed to be closely monitoring the RFA situation.
Some wonder if Kekalainen would be tempted to offer sheet his countryman Mikko Rantanen but I highly doubt he would. Hey, I’ve been wrong many times, but I think the Jackets GM would look at the massive cap space in Colorado and see that as a losing proposition, the Avs would match in a heartbeat.

Colorado made a long-term offer to Rantanen’s camp earlier this month but since then, not a whole lot of movement. The Avs aren’t going to pay Mitch Marner money even if agent Mike Liut can make a decent argument that his client Rantanen deserves to be in that conversation.

But offer sheeting Colorado makes zero sense. There’s a reason the Avs kept their cap space open this offseason. This was it.

If you’re going to prey on a cap-challenged team, it’s Tampa Bay, Calgary or Winnipeg.

The Jets still haven’t re-signed wingers Patrick Laine or Kyle Connor and certainly, they’re in a more precarious cap situation than Colorado. I think Connor is the first to sign and then we’ll see what happens with Laine, who has always seemed destined for a bridge deal but so far finding the right AAV for that shorter deal has been elusive.

While in Tampa, in his first true test as Lightning GM, Julien BriseBois seems to be holding pretty firm with unsigned RFA center Brayden Point. A source told me on Thursday morning that the two sides remain far apart. Ditto on the Matthew Tkachuk front, which was status quo as of Wednesday.

LeBrun: Why it’s a good time to be shopping for a D-man...

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Wasn't sure where to put this (and it really doesn't add anything we don't know, but..)

LeBrun: Why it’s a good time to be shopping for a D-man...

Pretty much a no brainer a move has to be made . The great thing is we are 10 deep at defense . And it’s the best time of year to have that problem . Teams will circle back after the first few games see what’s working and what needs addressed . I still think Jarmo goes big baller brand , and tries to a big addition . Any defenseman not named Seth Jones could be on the table .

Also, I know it’s early , but Korpi looks like a different goaltender . His movements are controlled , he looks poised and confident. Elvis looks to be the real deal, and will only get better the more he plays . Bemstrom and Texier look like they could be impact players at the nhl level this year . Sonny has looked great. My guess is Jarmo is watching Wennberg these first couple games , and makes a decision based on that . Last night , was not a good night for Wennberg, but we will see .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
How have the youngsters listed on the 4th line looked defensively? That looks like a 4th line that isn't going to get much 5 on 5 playing time and I think that the more consistently you can roll all 4 lines, the better for the entire team.

Assuming they are not matched often against top lines I think that lineup is about as good as you can get with that group of players.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How have the youngsters listed on the 4th line looked defensively? That looks like a 4th line that isn't going to get much 5 on 5 playing time and I think that the more consistently you can roll all 4 lines, the better for the entire team.

Bemstrom has been fine. Milano defensively.... not great. He's also scored every time he's hit the ice, so I think so far it outweighs his absent-mindedness on D. I'd be thrilled to see the Jackets start the year with the Milano-Nash-Bemstrom combo as the 4th line. Nash can really carry as far as responsible play goes, he's so solid. And all three guys can pass well and make plays. It could be a very productive unit.

They weren't together last night - Milano was with Stenlund and Bemstrom was with Wenny and Gus, but oddly enough Bemstrom had his best scoring opportunity off of a pass from Milano late in the third, in possibly their only shift together. That was more than he got all game from Wenny and Gus. I don't think Torts will keep Bemstrom on a unit if he isn't willing to trust them with a good 10 minutes, so that will be key. So far they've earned at least that much, they've been the top scorers in pre-season.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Bemstrom has been fine. Milano defensively.... not great. (snip)

Having not actually watched either game, I was unaware of Bemstrom's abilities on the defensive side. If he's been OK, then it could work. I am imagining that Milano is still a bit of a trainwreck (this is obviously relative to others on the team) on the defensive side of the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Here's the PP lines (Bemstrom has apparently rotated in?):

And some good data-driven suggestions from AlisonL.

I concur with Alison that Werenski and Jones should be together, and that we need more off-wing (one-timer side) looks.

I'd like to see:

-------------- Dubois
Bemstrom - Nyquist - Werenski
-------------- Jones

------------ Anderson
Atkinson - Texier - Bjorkstrand
------------ Murray

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Here's the PP lines (Bemstrom has apparently rotated in?):

And some good data-driven suggestions from AlisonL.

I concur with Alison that Werenski and Jones should be together, and that we need more off-wing (one-timer side) looks.

I'd like to see:

-------------- Dubois
Bemstrom - Nyquist - Werenski
-------------- Jones

------------ Anderson
Atkinson - Texier - Bjorkstrand
------------ Murray

The forwards better be rotating well to cover the point(s) when the d man vacates the center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Having not actually watched either game, I was unaware of Bemstrom's abilities on the defensive side. If he's been OK, then it could work. I am imagining that Milano is still a bit of a trainwreck (this is obviously relative to others on the team) on the defensive side of the ice.

I don't know if I'd say Bemstrom has abilities, it's just that I haven't noticed any mistakes from him yet. Milano has had a couple glaring mistakes.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
I don't know if I'd say Bemstrom has abilities, it's just that I haven't noticed any mistakes from him yet. Milano has had a couple glaring mistakes.

It's a spectrum from "I'd trust you out there on a 5 on 3 at the end of a tie game." to "What do you mean I was supposed to cover that guy?".

While I don't expect the youngsters to be in the first category to start their NHL careers, I hope that they are closer to the middle of both rather than being one of the latter. It partially goes along with my comment about the 1-3-1 power play set-up. If the outside guys of the 3 are aware enough (defensive minded) to cover the point as things rotate, things work better. If they are clueless, then they spend 1/2 the power play skating the puck back up after it gets cleared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad