2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's a spectrum from "I'd trust you out there on a 5 on 3 at the end of a tie game." to "What do you mean I was supposed to cover that guy?".

While I don't expect the youngsters to be in the first category to start their NHL careers, I hope that they are closer to the middle of both rather than being one of the latter. It partially goes along with my comment about the 1-3-1 power play set-up. If the outside guys of the 3 are aware enough (defensive minded) to cover the point as things rotate, things work better. If they are clueless, then they spend 1/2 the power play skating the puck back up after it gets cleared.

I wouldn't lump the 1-3-1 PP into it, because I know guys like Sonny don't fail to rotate, the point is just another fun place to score from. It's not about defensive responsibility.

I'm a 35 year old #2C on a men's team that is about half college aged players. When I talk to the hotshot skilled kids that never had to play good D to make a team, and I ask what they want to do and where they want to play, they're thrilled to do any part of the PP. Same with taking faceoffs, for some reason. But backchecking? No. Tight coverage? No.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I like that Torts is doing this. The Jackets HAVE to get off to a fast start. If they go 2-6-2 in the 1st 10 games, forget it. They need to get going 1st minute of 1st game. Toronto/Pittsburgh/Buffalo/Anaheim/Carolina/Dallas/Chicago/Islanders. That isn't exactly Murderer's Row right out of the gate. No reason to not get off to a fast start.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It looks like Porty's got Dano listed in the AHL group and in the main practice group. I mean, he's definitely going to the AHL next week, but it looks like he's still on a regular practice line for now.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m good with those ‘outside looking in’ players. Among them, I like Sherwood and TFW but realistically they’re both AHL players at this point. I’m less a fan of Robinson, but prefer him to Hannikainen, but I expected Torts to favor Hanni among the fourth line/13th forward types.

All that said, if you keep Hanni you’re not playing Dubi and/or assigning Milano or Bemstrom. I’d prefer all three to Hanni.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I’m good with those ‘outside looking in’ players. Among them, I like Sherwood and TFW but realistically they’re both AHL players at this point. I’m less a fan of Robinson, but prefer him to Hannikainen, but I expected Torts to favor Hanni among the fourth line/13th forward types.

All that said, if you keep Hanni you’re not playing Dubi and/or assigning Milano or Bemstrom. I’d prefer all three to Hanni.

I'd put up a strong argument for Hannikainen over Robinson and Dubinsky, but in any case it doesn't appear that that is the choice at hand. Given Robinson's contract he will certainly be in the AHL. And Hanni might join him there even though he has a one-way contract and would have to be exposed to waivers. Dubinsky can't be sent down so he's the most likely 13F. If he was getting minutes with Nash and Bemstrom then I'd suggest he would be on the regular 4th line, but so far Milano - Nash - Bemstrom has gotten all the looks (and has looked good).

I'm loving Sherwood and TFW, they're AHLers but that's only because of the depth of the team and their contract status.

Texier - Dubois - Atkinson
Nyquist - Wennberg - Bjorkstrand
Foligno - Jenner - Anderson
Milano - Nash - Bemstrom
Dubinsky

All signs point to this set of 13. I'd switch up the RWs but all things considered I'm relatively happy with the group.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'd put up a strong argument for Hannikainen over Robinson and Dubinsky, but in any case it doesn't appear that that is the choice at hand. Given Robinson's contract he will certainly be in the AHL. And Hanni might join him there even though he has a one-way contract and would have to be exposed to waivers. Dubinsky can't be sent down so he's the most likely 13F. If he was getting minutes with Nash and Bemstrom then I'd suggest he would be on the regular 4th line, but so far Milano - Nash - Bemstrom has gotten all the looks (and has looked good).

I'm loving Sherwood and TFW, they're AHLers but that's only because of the depth of the team and their contract status.

Milano - Nash - Bemstrom
Dubinsky

All signs point to this set of 13. I'd switch up the RWs but all things considered I'm relatively happy with the group.

Sounds like you and I only differ on Hanni vs Dubi. I could make the case for a Hanni but I wouldn’t be convincing. Dubi in decline is still preferable to Marcus IMO. And to Robinson and Dano and whatever other traditional ‘bottom six’ options.

I have (different) concerns about both Milano and Bemstrom, too, but I’d rather err there at least initially.

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Milano - Nash - Bemstrom...

Something intriguing here IF, IF, IF I say Torts has a bit of patience.

Hoping we see a serious work ethic from that trio and dont doubt that we will.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Milano - Nash - Bemstrom...

Something intriguing here IF, IF, IF I say Torts has a bit of patience.

Hoping we see a serious work ethic from that trio and dont doubt that we will.
I think Bemstrom is better served getting top line play in Cleveland.

Milano - Nash - Stenlund might be better. Stenlund has been playing at RW in the preseason, can better handle the physicality of playing on the 4th line, and can take a faceoff if Nash is thrown out.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I think Bemstrom is better served getting top line play in Cleveland.

Milano - Nash - Stenlund might be better. Stenlund has been playing at RW in the preseason, can better handle the physicality of playing on the 4th line, and can take a faceoff if Nash is thrown out.

Problem is that it’s Columbus or bust for Bemstrom. He’s going back to Sweden if he doesn’t make the club. Stenlund/Sherwood will probably end up being the first injury call ups.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Milano - Nash - Bemstrom
Dubinsky

I have to agree with your 13 at the moment, but I wonder how long it will remain intact.

- Does that 4th line get enough minutes? If not, does this force Bemstrom back to Sweden for one more year of seasoning?

- How long of a leash does Sonny have? I think we all agree that he's doing well offensively but is frustrating to watch in his own zone. How much time does he have before TFW/Sherwood/Stenlund et al. force their way into the lineup?

- Ditto for Wennberg, except for opposite parts of the game. I personally am not excited about the Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand line, I just think it's too one dimensional.

Here's how I'd have them for now:

Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Foligno-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Texier-Jenner-Anderson
Milano-Nash-Bemstrom
Dubinsky

Texier is a beast, but I'm not positive he's the best fit for the top line. I think putting Nyquist there balances things out more evenly. Nyquist seems to play best with at least one bigger guy, and I think what PLD and Cam lack in their toolbox is with the transition game, which Nyquist is good at.

I think that these middle two lines are flexible and they should ideally get the same-ish amount of minutes. I also think that the winger pairs are interchangeable. You could have Texier-Wennberg-Anderson and Foligno-Jenner-Bjorkstrand just as easily. But Wennberg plays well with veterans, and I'd love to see him and Bjorkstrand take off together.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I honestly don't understand why Torts wants Nyquist and Wennberg together, apart from them both being Swedes, which is not a good reason. Particularly with Bjorkstrand at RW, who's another fairly similar player. It didn't make sense to me on paper, and it hasn't looked promising on the ice so far either. I'd be looking to blend that line and the Foligno-Jenner-Anderson line somehow.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I honestly don't understand why Torts wants Nyquist and Wennberg together, apart from them both being Swedes, which is not a good reason. Particularly with Bjorkstrand at RW, who's another fairly similar player. It didn't make sense to me on paper, and it hasn't looked promising on the ice so far either. I'd be looking to blend that line and the Foligno-Jenner-Anderson line somehow.

It's probably the veteran sherpa idea, like with Hartnell and Vanek. I'm fine with that part, but they've got to mix in some muscle. I'm enjoying just seeing Wennberg making little passes again, so maybe Nyquist is helping some. But it seems like Nyquist never has any space out there. Detroit fans say he needs to play with heavy guys who can make space for him, but it's funny that compared to us they didn't have many really big guys in their lineup. Larkin is like a better version of Wennberg, same size, and he was Nyquist's best centerman last year. There is no bigger center in Detroit. Their best trio was probably Bertuzzi - Larkin - Nyquist. That's why I'm curious if Nyquist - Wennberg - Anderson would suffice.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
How about Bemstrom on left wing with his right handed shot?

Texier-Dubois-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand

Or

Texier-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Atkinson

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
I dont get it, Texier in 1st line? How the hell? He is great kid, but what thats it? Here in Finland last season 40+ points in NHL what couple goals? He has great future coming but if we want to be playoff team we just need 1st line to be 1st line.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

The Blue Jackets have assigned forwards Trey Fix-Wolansky, Maxime Fortier, Eric Robinson, Kole Sherwood, Kevin Stenlund and Calvin Thurkauf, as well as defensemen Gabriel Carlsson, Ryan Collins and Michael Prapavessis to the Cleveland Monsters, the club's American Hockey League affiliate. The club has also placed forwards Paul Bittner, Nathan Gerbe and Justin Scott on waivers for purpose of assignment to Cleveland. In addition, the Jackets have released forwards Derek Barach, Brett Gallant, Nikita Korostelev, Stefan Matteau, Bryan Moore and Sam Vigneault and defenseman Anton Karlsson from their pro tryout contracts. The group also is expected to report to the Monsters.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I like his confidence but the deck was stacked against him from the beginning. Now go show it in Cleveland and force them to make room for you. A year ago he was sent to the EHCL so he needs a bigger body of work to get a bigger shot in the NHL.

For sure, but Porty and others (including myself) thought he was pushing for a job. That clearly wasn’t the case

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
By my count that leaves the following roster locks:
F (11): Wennberg, Atkinson, Nyquist, Dubinsky, Dubois, Nash, Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Texier, Foligno, Anderson
D (6): Jones, Harrington, Werenski, Murray, Savard, Nutivaara

and the following bubble guys (italics means they have to clear waivers):
F (7): Lilja, Milano, Dalpe, Hannikainen, MacInnis, Bemstrom, Dano
D (6): Peeke, Clendening, Somerby, Gavrikov, Kukan, Simpson

The article says there are 19 forwards still in camp, which I think is counting Foudy, who they've already confirmed is headed to London once he's medically cleared. So really, those 13 guys are fighting for four spots -- presumably 2F/2D, though that's not a guarantee. We can further narrow it down by assuming Dalpe, MacInnis and Simpson will be sent down once waivers are a little more crowded, so that leaves ten guys for the last four spots. Most of those are the guys we expected to be there, but there's also a couple surprises, Somerby the biggest. I'd basically written him off as a prospect but he had a very good year last year and has looked way more confident, particularly with the puck, than I remember. Seems like the coaches are high on him too, or else he'd have been cut with the rest of the waiver-exempt Cleveland-bound guys today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad