2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I wonder what happened with Beer-man. For a guy on the bubble, this could cost him.
Most of these immigration issues get resolved within days. I doubt it will have any serious impact on his chances of making the team out of training camp. He's a known quantity role player who probably is needed by the CBJ.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
sokolov the only try out kinda surprising. I thought there would be more

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Isn't Derek Barach technically a tryout? He's only on an AHL deal with Cleveland and technically isn't CBJ property.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm interested to know who the odd man/men are on the blue line. We have 9 NHL level defensemen. I'm sure they'll plan to carry 8 just because but I don't believe any of them are exempt from waivers except Gavrikov but I firmly believe he belongs in the lineup. i'm guessing Kukan ends up being the odd man if a trade isn't made but I think he deserves to be playing too. I like what he brings when he's given the chance.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Isn't Derek Barach technically a tryout? He's only on an AHL deal with Cleveland and technically isn't CBJ property.
all cleveland signed guy are usually at the camp. that's normal there's also the 6th goalie that is a "try-out" but he really is just there to fill in the 6th slot not to earn a contract or anything.

that's why I only mentioned Sokolov

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
My guess is Clendening is the odd man out again, unless someone (read: Murray) gets hurt. Tough on him, because he performed admirably when called on in the playoffs, but it's a real logjam. Even rougher is Doyle Somerby finally having that breakout year, only to likely wind up lower on the depth chart with the additions of Peeke and Gavrikov.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
My guess is Clendening is the odd man out again, unless someone (read: Murray) gets hurt. Tough on him, because he performed admirably when called on in the playoffs, but it's a real logjam. Even rougher is Doyle Somerby finally having that breakout year, only to likely wind up lower on the depth chart with the additions of Peeke and Gavrikov.
I hadn't even considered Clendening in the 9. He's definitely an odd man out. I still think we have a hard time carrying 8 all season and providing enough playing time for everyone unless there are 2 significant injuries that we don't want.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I hadn't even considered Clendening in the 9. He's definitely an odd man out. I still think we have a hard time carrying 8 all season and providing enough playing time for everyone unless there are 2 significant injuries that we don't want.
Assuming Carlsson was your 9th guy, he's waiver-exempt (and needs the playing time more than, say, Harrington) so he's almost certainly ticketed for Cleveland barring an exceptional camp or multiple injuries.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm interested to know who the odd man/men are on the blue line. We have 9 NHL level defensemen. I'm sure they'll plan to carry 8 just because but I don't believe any of them are exempt from waivers except Gavrikov but I firmly believe he belongs in the lineup. i'm guessing Kukan ends up being the odd man if a trade isn't made but I think he deserves to be playing too. I like what he brings when he's given the chance.

I'm also not sure who your #9 is, but whoever it is, Kukan, Gavrikov, and Harrington are ahead of them.

The obvious 5:

Murray - Jones
Werenski - Savard
Nuti

The 3 battlers:

Kukan, Gavrikov, Harrington.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I miscounted the 9. it was actually 8. I had Clendening in the count but didn't realize it. I initially thought it was 9 without him

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Some great storylines heading into this season:
- goalie battle, who takes the reins?
- does Wennberg bounce back?
- how does Nyquist fit int?
- will Dano resurrect his career?
- how does the D shakeout, past the top 4?
- Bjorkstrand, break through season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->