2019 Training Camp/Preseason Thread

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Had a blast at the practice today. Got there right at 9. Seats full.....no empty spots around the glass. Stood behind the extra net outside of the rink so I had an open view at least. Guess the fans are still looking forward to the hockey season even with the loss of our "superstars".

I really like the look of the defense. Gonna be a tough battle to determine who makes the opening night roster and how many they are going to keep. And although it's early, guys like Peeke and Hjorth look like they have the tools to play in the NHL some day. Extra bonus that they are RD's.

Just a couple of the forwards:

Foligno - It's day one and the captain was running everyone in sight :laugh:. My comment though is that it seemed that he was playing center. Not sure I like that much.

Texier - Couldn't tell where he was playing (center or wing) because he was all over both sides of the ice. I want to believe (hope) that was because he was playing center. Seemed that he was playing with Foligno tho??? Rather see him at center than Foligno. That will play out in time. Can't see Texier not making the team.

Bemstrom - Needs some time to get used to having such little space/time on the small ice surface. He was engaged and you can see the potential.

Fix-Wolansky - I would have a hard time not pulling for this kid to make the team and sooner rather than later. It's a long shot but the kid plays way bigger than his size.

Milano - I have the same angst for Sonny as some have for Wennberg. I want Sonny to be a good player because he has a skill-set that can help the team. He needs to play on one of the top lines. Can't see him playing effectively with guys like Nash or Dubinsky on the bottom lines. Just don't think he will ever pull it all together to make it and stay. Hope I'm wrong.

Goalies: Our most questionable position. Will be fun to watch this play out over the season. Who's going to rise to the top from the contenders. Gonna take some time to find that out. Thought they all held their own in certain spots today.

Torts had them skating hard today. Like what I saw.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Had a blast at the practice today. Got there right at 9. Seats full.....no empty spots around the glass. Stood behind the extra net outside of the rink so I had an open view at least. Guess the fans are still looking forward to the hockey season even with the loss of our "superstars".

I really like the look of the defense. Gonna be a tough battle to determine who makes the opening night roster and how many they are going to keep. And although it's early, guys like Peeke and Hjorth look like they have the tools to play in the NHL some day. Extra bonus that they are RD's.

Just a couple of the forwards:

Foligno - It's day one and the captain was running everyone in sight :laugh:. My comment though is that it seemed that he was playing center. Not sure I like that much.

Texier - Couldn't tell where he was playing (center or wing) because he was all over both sides of the ice. I want to believe (hope) that was because he was playing center. Seemed that he was playing with Foligno tho??? Rather see him at center than Foligno. That will play out in time. Can't see Texier not making the team.

Bemstrom - Needs some time to get used to having such little space/time on the small ice surface. He was engaged and you can see the potential.

Fix-Wolansky - I would have a hard time not pulling for this kid to make the team and sooner rather than later. It's a long shot but the kid plays way bigger than his size.

Milano - I have the same angst for Sonny as some have for Wennberg. I want Sonny to be a good player because he has a skill-set that can help the team. He needs to play on one of the top lines. Can't see him playing effectively with guys like Nash or Dubinsky on the bottom lines. Just don't think he will ever pull it all together to make it and stay. Hope I'm wrong.

Goalies: Our most questionable position. Will be fun to watch this play out over the season. Who's going to rise to the top from the contenders. Gonna take some time to find that out. Thought they all held their own in certain spots today.

Torts had them skating hard today. Like what I saw.

Thanks for the updates, keep them coming!

What made you think Foligno was playing center? I ask just because we've seen before that veterans will take faceoffs for rookie centers, and I'm wondering if that's what what happened here.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I have none of the Fix Wolansky size concerns that some others have. The dude is build ridiculousy solid and pound for pound is likely much stronger than many guys in the NHL. The only thing that would potentially worry me is his feisty nature leading guys to throw "clean hits" with head contact due to his height. Much like Chara does

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

What made you think Foligno was playing center? I ask just because we've seen before that veterans will take faceoffs for rookie centers, and I'm wondering if that's what what happened here.

This was my initial thought but my other thought was why not let him take some faceoffs in a meaningless scrimmage game. They might have been trying to simulate a real game situation....who knows. I plan on going tomorrow and will watch Texier a little closer.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I just watched it. Notes:

Nothing surprising is likely to happen on the backend. Kukan and Harrington look really good with and without the puck, well ahead of Clendening and Carlsson. I didn't notice Gavrikov, who is waiver exempt, but it's hard to imagine him getting sent down.

Peeke has got great tools. I'll just be watching his breakout passing from now on. We've seen that be a make-or-break factor for so many D-men in the league and it didn't look good for Peeke at least in the scrimmage.

Bemstrom might just be rusty with this being his first scrimmage coming off of the face injury. He can dipsy-doodle but managed to dipsy-doodle right into traffic a couple times. And he looks weak in traffic. I didn't think he was going to be NHL ready, so nothing to change that view, but I'll wait until he gets up to speed and plays some PP in preseason.

Fixy / TFW looked like the best player on the ice for any team. Yes he scored a couple, but he also did everything right. Strong backcheck, hard hitting, winning battles, and I was impressed with his puck control and passing. There were a lot of sloppy turnovers in that scrimmage but not from Fixy, he managed the puck well. He's a stocky kid, other than getting elbowed I have no worries about his size in the NHL.

I'm really excited for Wennberg, if he keeps this up. He was assertive again carrying the puck, had a few shots and a goal. The crowd being behind him is a good sign too, he needs a support section.

Nyquist is small and not a physically strong player, he was getting bumped off the puck by just about everyone. We knew that before, but it's something to consider in his usage. I think there's something to the idea in Detroit that he plays better with bigger linemates.

Stenlund had a nice breakaway goal, and he looked faster throughout. Wasn't he a slow guy before? It's a good sign. His hands are great as always, he had a nice assist too. Too many shit turnovers today though, we'll see if that's just a day one thing.

Milano can beat goalies, no surprise there. With him being waiver eligible he just needs some good reasons to show he belongs. And goals are good reasons.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It’s only been about a week counting Traverse City, but it sure looks like Fix-Wolansky is one of the most impressive players out there. I think he can potentially make the team and make an impact very soon. It will be very interesting to see the preseason games this week with as many as 10-12 forwards fighting for the last few spots.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
I just watched it. Notes:
I just wanna add about Robinson, i always said he has hands of stone, but in this scrimmage he looked like he had Savard sitting on each one. Maybe he was just tired from 2 first brutal days of camp.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Went to practice again this morning. Not many people today. Maybe everyone was there yesterday for the free tee-shirt (I didn't get one :().

So to clean up my post from yesterday:

Foligno was playing center yesterday. Texier was playing wing. Foligno could not have been taking faceoffs for Texier because they aren't in the same group :facepalm: I did have question marks on my post so I kinda wondered if I was mistaken. I think the confusion comes from group 2 with so many guys rotating in and out of the center/wing position (Foligno, Nash, Jenner, Stenlund).

As someone mentioned Nutivarra out today. Was a little concerned but Porty reported an illness so sorry he's sick, glad he's not banged up again.

Not much to add today. Group 2 practiced this morning and a couple scrimmage games after that. During the practice they skated, skated and skated more. Torts had them skating in quads around the ice for 25 straight minutes blowing his whistle and barking at them.

It's early and things change in a second but by the practice groups and pairs it seems to me something like this:

Texier-Dubois-Cam
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
????-Jenner/Foligno-Anderson
????-Dubinski/Nash-Nash/????

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard
Gavrikov-Nutivaara
????

Korpi
Elvis

The question marks get interesting because there's a lot of competition for those spots. Forwards: (Milano, Hannikainen, Robinson, Bemstrom, Dano) and to a much lesser extent guys who to me haven't looked out of place but are destined for reassignment (Lilja, Fortier, MacInnis, Korostelev and Fix-Wolansky). Defense: (Harrington, Kukan) and destined for reassignment (Clendening, Peeke, Somerby and Carlsson).

All the young guys that are eligible will be returned to juniors.

And the enigma that it is Gabriel Carlsson. Guy looks like an NHL player in practice. What happens to this guy when the lights get turned on. He's only 22 so maybe he still becomes a good player.

Heard the people in back of me discussing "Treys" genetics and how they told him he can't do anything about that. And hoping he gets to play in a pre-season game. They even talked about driving to Pittsburgh if he gets to play there. Fun stuff for the families.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The question marks get interesting because there's a lot of competition for those spots. Forwards: (Milano, Hannikainen, Robinson, Bemstrom, Dano) and to a much lesser extent guys who to me haven't looked out of place but are destined for reassignment (Lilja, Fortier, MacInnis, Korostelev and Fix-Wolansky).

I'll hopefully be able to watch today's scrimmage when it gets on youtube, but from what I've seen I'm not so sure Fixy is in the latter group. I think it's within in the realm of possibility that he makes the team instead of Bemstrom.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Fixy wasn't expected to have a shot this summer, and Bemstrom was expected to make it. I'm just thinking back to why that is. There's more reasons than this, but a couple that we obviously encounter are that Bemstrom led the SHL in goal scoring last year, and Fixy is small.

Per the standard NHL Equivalencies Bemstrom's scoring from last year works out to 36 pts per 82 games, and Fixy to 39 pts. Even if you weight goals higher, they end up being roughly close in production.

Then when it comes to size I actually am more confident in Fixy's compact build. I think he's more physically ready right now than Bemstrom is.

Here's some quick equivalencies if anyone is curious:

NHLe pts 2018-19
Milano39
TFW39
Bemstrom36
Lilja35
Foudy 29
Dano23
Robinson21
Stenlund17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Torts reads the boards. Hi John. *waves*

I'm really excited for Wennberg, if he keeps this up. He was assertive again carrying the puck, had a few shots and a goal. The crowd being behind him is a good sign too, he needs a support section.

Kole Sherwood has caught John Tortorella's eye, and an NHL...

Tortorella on the Wennberg cheer, and his play: “Absolutely. They’re pulling for him. They’re pulling for him and they’re pissed at me because they think I’m screwing him. I don’t care what people think, all I want … I thought he had a terrific scrimmage. You can see where his concentration is, in keeping the puck. I thought he played really well. Really, in both scrimmages, that line (Gustav Nyquist, Wennberg, Oliver Bjorkstrand) played well. It could be a huge thing for this organization — huge! — if he can find his way.”

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It was a long time ago, but how does TFW compare to Calvart's game coming out of juniors? I don't think he makes the team out of camp but I can see him sticking after a call up and not giving up the spot.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I'll hopefully be able to watch today's scrimmage when it gets on youtube, but from what I've seen I'm not so sure Fixy is in the latter group. I think it's within in the realm of possibility that he makes the team instead of Bemstrom.
I think that’s a reach . Bemstrom would be headed back to Europe again if that’s the case. Someone will have to be much much better them Bemstrom to make the team over him . I think Dano doesn’t make team, Most likely Hani doesn’t wither . Unless Milano is traded , he will be staying up. Texier is a absolute yes , Milano as well , can’t see them losing him to waivers , not someone that scored 15g in limited minutes playing 50 plus games . Bemstrom is probably the third . Who knows though , maybe a trade is made before camp ends . Don’t get me wrong , Fix looked great yesterday and also at Traverse , but he can be sent down to season without losing him

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think that’s a reach . Bemstrom would be headed back to Europe again if that’s the case. Someone will have to be much much better them Bemstrom to make the team over him . I think Dano doesn’t make team, Most likely Hani doesn’t wither . Unless Milano is traded , he will be staying up. Texier is a absolute yes , Milano as well , can’t see them losing him to waivers , not someone that scored 15g in limited minutes playing 50 plus games . Bemstrom is probably the third . Who knows though , maybe a trade is made before camp ends . Don’t get me wrong , Fix looked great yesterday and also at Traverse , but he can be sent down to season without losing him

If Bemstrom is better sure, but if he looks like he can't yet outplay Fixy then there's nothing wrong with sending Bemstrom to Sweden. We don't lose him. He just gets a development year, which is what we would want in that situation. Djurgardens is also possibly the best place for him to learn.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It was a long time ago, but how does TFW compare to Calvart's game coming out of juniors? I don't think he makes the team out of camp but I can see him sticking after a call up and not giving up the spot.

Calvert was closer to Foudy if I remember correctly. Raggedy, fast, decent skill. A harrier. He wasn't a top scorer for most of his junior career, so he got early training in playing a forechecking game.

TFW is more well rounded skill. He isn't as fast but I like every other part of his skill set more. He was the top scorer on his junior team before we even drafted him, and was their best player by a country mile. The physical game we've seen from him lately is not something he usually did in junior, he's just taking to it really well.

Reactions: Jovavic

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
He got hurt thinking about playing hockey...

Portzline tweeted it was a precaution and there is no plan to hold him out of practice or games during the regular season. Maybe that helps him this year, still makes me question his health though.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Portzline tweeted it was a precaution and there is no plan to hold him out of practice or games during the regular season. Maybe that helps him this year, still makes me question his health though.

I recall Murray saying the plan is for him to take more maintenance days this year.

Reactions: thebus88

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
I recall Murray saying the plan is for him to take more maintenance days this year.

Sure, just seems early to start. When I read about the maintenance days it seemed more like he would sit out on optional skates, and if something was off he would skip practices. But what do I know, I'm certainly not a trainer or a doctor. I'm sure my issues just stem from there alllllways being something wrong, and I'm all for Murr taking days off, if it means he is healthy for more games. Just getting nervous is all :scared:

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Sure, just seems early to start. When I read about the maintenance days it seemed more like he would sit out on optional skates, and if something was off he would skip practices. But what do I know, I'm certainly not a trainer or a doctor. I'm sure my issues just stem from there alllllways being something wrong, and I'm all for Murr taking days off, if it means he is healthy for more games. Just getting nervous is all :scared:
I agree.. seems pretty early for that to start.

Probably an illness?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad