Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
We should trade Larkin as well. If we get for him 1st rounders for next 3 years we can win cup in about 10 years from now

It truly baffles me that people are getting so butt hurt at the idea of trading a 4th line center for a first or second round pick.

Do I have to clarify, thats not a knock on Glendening. I like him a lot as a player, and I said I wouldn’t give him away or even trade him for a low end pick, but when you are a re-building team, if you are given a first or second for a 29 year old 4th liner, you do it.

Nobody is saying that we should trade Larkin for picks. You hold on to guys like Mantha, AA, Hronek, Bertuzzi, chowolski etc. You only trade them if it’s a “hockey trade”.

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
He is not worth a first so now what?
How about don’t trade him to your rival for a fair deal for both. He may be worth a 2nd round pick, but not to Toronto. If Toronto wants him, only a first will do. It seems pretty obvious to me. Trade him to someone else if your that desperate to move him. Honestly, I’d rather have Glendening than AA. If AA wasn’t one of the fastest players in the league, he wouldn’t be in the league. He’s meh at everything else and IMO doesn’t play winning hockey. Sure he can be a flash in the pan every once in awhile, but he has no hockey IQ, doesn’t play defense, and is average or below average at everything besides speed.

Reactions: Larkin1578

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It truly baffles me that people are getting so butt hurt at the idea of trading a 4th line center for a first or second round pick.

Do I have to clarify, thats not a knock on Glendening. I like him a lot as a player, and I said I wouldn’t give him away or even trade him for a low end pick, but when you are a re-building team, if you are given a first or second for a 29 year old 4th liner, you do it.

Nobody is saying that we should trade Larkin for picks. You hold on to guys like Mantha, AA, Hronek, Bertuzzi, chowolski etc. You only trade them if it’s a “hockey trade”.
Not sure about Mantha. Not sure about progress from Cholowski or Bert or Hronek. I only sure about AA

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
How about don’t trade him to your rival for a fair deal for both. He may be worth a 2nd round pick, but not to Toronto. If Toronto wants him, only a first will do. It seems pretty obvious to me. Trade him to someone else if your that desperate to move him. Honestly, I’d rather have Glendening than AA. If AA wasn’t one of the fastest players in the league, he wouldn’t be in the league. He’s meh at everything else and IMO doesn’t play winning hockey. Sure he can be a flash in the pan every once in awhile, but he has no hockey IQ, doesn’t play defense, and is average or below average at everything besides speed.
Toronto is not a rival at this point. We are probably the worst team in the NHL. And I don't know how old you are but they actually helped us win a cup in 1997 giving us Larry Murphy at the deadline.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Would anyone out there be upset to see Mantha get moved?

I know I wouldn't...
At this point not really what is he a lazy forwards version of big rig. has size wont use it has a good shot wont use it. Or is this coaching though? being miss used? hard to say, Let him loose in the slot with that shot on the power play.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not sure about Mantha. Not sure about progress from Cholowski or Bert or Hronek. I only sure about AA

Really? What is your expectation of a 20 year old rookie defensman who is playing on one of the worst teams in the league?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
At this point not really what is he a lazy forwards version of big rig. has size wont use it has a good shot wont use it. Or is this coaching though? being miss used? hard to say, Let him loose in the slot with that shot on the power play.
It's more confidence, he needs to change things, maybe play for better coach ,better organization

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Really? What is your expectation of a 20 year old rookie defensman who is playing on one of the worst teams in the league?

After the first 15-20 games he's not been that good. Actually aside from what little offense he's provided, he's been useless. He really should be in the AHL right now learning to make good first decisions in his own zone, gap control, and other techniques to improve his game.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
After the first 15-20 games he's not been that good. Actually aside from what little offense he's provided, he's been useless. He really should be in the AHL right now learning to make good first decisions in his own zone, gap control, and other techniques to improve his game.

Development of a young player is not linear, kids have ups and they have downs. IMO, if you look at where Chowolski is right now on February 11th, 2019, there is no reason to be down on him overall as a player. He's farther long right now, then I thought he would be a year ago.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Development of a young player is not linear, kids have ups and they have downs. IMO, if you look at where Chowolski is right now on February 11th, 2019, there is no reason to be down on him overall as a player. He's farther long right now, then I thought he would be a year ago.

He's not shown any progress on the defensive side of the game. He's playing poorly at the same time he's getting very sheltered minutes. I think like Ras he's in over his head, but unlike Ras, he could be playing in the AHL learning how to play both sides of the puck.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Surprised some are this disappointed in the Ant Man. Since coming back from injury, I agree with FS that his skating is excellent. To me he's doing a good job of taking his time with the puck, keeping his head up, and 9/10 he's making smart crisp passes. The 2nd line has some actual cohesiveness thanks to him. The PP unit is improved as well. Unlike AA he is able to drive a line. He's not scoring but I think the compete level is there and this might be the best I've seen him look.

What are the complaints over AM? That he's not burying the puck?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
He's not shown any progress on the defensive side of the game. He's playing poorly at the same time he's getting very sheltered minutes. I think like Ras he's in over his head, but unlike Ras, he could be playing in the AHL learning how to play both sides of the puck.

You don't think he has shown progress from when he was drafted?

I want to be crystal clear with you, I am not evaluating Chowolski in a bubble here. I am nor simply comparing the kids first 20 games to his most recent 20 games. I get the impression that this is what you are stuck on. I am looking at his development as a player since the day he was drafted, and I am very happy with where he is.

He is a 20 year old kid playing a position that most 20 year old's struggle playing. Going from the WHL to the NHL is a huge jump for a D-man, of course the kid is going to struggle defensively, we're not talking a generational talent here who is going to jump in and look like he's played in the league for years. What he has shown is that he can hang in the league on the offensive side of the puck, he has hockey sense, and he has made huge strides physically in that last couple years, which I'm sure will continue. As he gets more comfortable, develops physically, and keeps gaining experience I have no doubt that the kid will turn into a legit top 4 guy. You have to remember, the kid is only 20.

Should he be playing in the AHL or NHL, that's a completely different conversation that I am not arguing either way.

If my memory serves me right (and I apologize if I am wrong), you have never been high on Chowolski and have always been pretty critical of him so it doesn't surprise me that you are going with this narrative.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You don't think he has shown progress from when he was drafted?

I want to be crystal clear with you, I am not evaluating Chowolski in a bubble here. I am nor simply comparing the kids first 20 games to his most recent 20 games. I get the impression that this is what you are stuck on. I am looking at his development as a player since the day he was drafted, and I am very happy with where he is.

He is a 20 year old kid playing a position that most 20 year old's struggle playing. Going from the WHL to the NHL is a huge jump for a D-man, of course the kid is going to struggle defensively, we're not talking a generational talent here who is going to jump in and look like he's played in the league for years. What he has shown is that he can hang in the league on the offensive side of the puck, he has hockey sense, and he has made huge strides physically in that last couple years, which I'm sure will continue. As he gets more comfortable, develops physically, and keeps gaining experience I have no doubt that the kid will turn into a legit top 4 guy. You have to remember, the kid is only 20.

Should he be playing in the AHL or NHL, that's a completely different conversation that I am not arguing either way.

If my memory serves me right (and I apologize if I am wrong), you have never been high on Chowolski and have always been pretty critical of him so it doesn't surprise me that you are going with this narrative.

Even compared to the defender the Wings should have drafted he doesn't compare well. His ppg is lower, and Arizona is a worse team offensively (I watch them way more than I should living in Phoenix). By all metrics hes just not playing like an NHL defender since about mid November. And honestly, his struggles on his own end of the ice have been worse than what I think should be tolerated by a team for a budding defender. And again, this is with him getting sheltered minutes.

ChrisReevesLegs

Nov 5, 2018
Seattle
Even compared to the defender the Wings should have drafted he doesn't compare well. His ppg is lower, and Arizona is a worse team offensively (I watch them way more than I should living in Phoenix). By all metrics hes just not playing like an NHL defender since about mid November. And honestly, his struggles on his own end of the ice have been worse than what I think should be tolerated by a team for a budding defender. And again, this is with him getting sheltered minutes.

Chychrun is playing as Arizona's 3rd Dman. Cholo is playing as Detroit's 8th Dman. And believe it or not... Arizona is better than Detroit. Way too soon to be judging these boys. Chychrun seems to be more phsyically adapted to the NHL IMO, but I'd bet that Cholo ends up with more points in his career.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I think we are arguing two different things. I understand your point that he is playing poor D right now, but that is not what I am debating. My point is how far he has come since we drafted him, I expect him to struggle year 1 on D.

Reactions: AttilaTheFun

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I feel a lot of people don't know on two seperate occassions AA has gone 11 games without a goal this season. Though I will say his effort level has been more consistent this season than previous ones.

Reactions: Yooper906

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Two weeks until the deadline. Once one or more of Panarin/Duchene/Stone are dealt, that will set the market for the Nyquists of the world.

Tick tock goes the waiting game...

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel a lot of people don't know on two seperate occassions AA has gone 11 games without a goal this season. Though I will say his effort level has been more consistent this season than previous ones.

I mean that's just how goal scoring works game to game

even Ovechkin typically goes a half dozen or so games without a goal a couple times a year and he's about as consistent as it gets

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
I mean that's just how goal scoring works game to game

even Ovechkin typically goes a half dozen or so games without a goal a couple times a year and he's about as consistent as it gets

Pretty sure I just hear Moose give an 'amen' to your post.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think we are arguing two different things. I understand your point that he is playing poor D right now, but that is not what I am debating. My point is how far he has come since we drafted him, I expect him to struggle year 1 on D.

And my point is that he isn't showing he has the tools to become better at defense and playing at the NHL level may not be the best way to build those tools.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Chychrun is playing as Arizona's 3rd Dman. Cholo is playing as Detroit's 8th Dman. And believe it or not... Arizona is better than Detroit. Way too soon to be judging these boys. Chychrun seems to be more phsyically adapted to the NHL IMO, but I'd bet that Cholo ends up with more points in his career.

Larry Murphy had more points than Nick Lidstrom. Does that make him a better player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad