Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Maple Leafs better get used to Glendening on the top line with Matthews and Hyman ahahah

Yooper906

Jul 1, 2016
Michigan
I wouldn’t agree to a trade of Glenny for a 2nd. I may be in the minority, but I believe Glenny, for the role he plays on this team, is one of our best players and plays winning hockey. I think for how much he would help Toronto, a 2nd isn’t good enough in my eyes. He would be a great fit for them. IMO

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
you mean kinda crazy how he has a 105.49 PDO?

yeah i'm sure the teams Goalies will keep saving more than 93% of their shots against while he's on the ice and he'll continue to have the best on ice shooting percent on the team as well,that seems pretty sustainable

Luke Glendening Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Seeing as it's happened for 5 of 6 years? Yeah, I'd say a 93 sv% is pretty sustainable. I mean, 92.8 is literally his career average over 416 games.

Luke Glendening isn't some defensive savant, but there is certainly something to be said for his defensive play that he does in bigger games (like when Detroit used to make the playoffs) get put on the better players from the other team like Tyler Johnson. The Wings should want a better hockey player than him, but LGD gets a raw deal from fans who want to Corsi watch. His Corsi is god awful... but there is something going on with the shot quality the other team gets when he is on the ice.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bertuzzi and Hronek can't be better than Gleny ,they have different responsibilities.

Youre right, Ovechkin on the wings would play a different role than Glendening, so he wouldnt be better either right?

Hronek and Bertuzzi have way more value in the NHL than Glendening does, Hes good at what he does but what he does isnt some ridiculously scarce thing either. Having the chance of taking a younger, better player in the second round is worth the risk of losing out on what Glendening provides. Especially when De La Rose and Ehn both play the exact same role pretty well on the same team.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
oh please no. Unless its overpayment Glendening stays in Detroit.

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like him as a player, but by the time we are contenders, he will be on the wrong side of 30 and will be close to being a UFA. I dont give him away, but I do it for a 1st or a 2nd.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Kinda crazy how he is +9 and only 1 behind the Wings leaders.

Kind of proves the point that possession numbers aren't the most fundamental thing in hockey.

Like, Washington Capitals did lose possession numbers at every playoff series at last season, and did win the Stanley Cup.

It's a goal-scoring game, not a shot distribution game.

Glendening is enough smart to lose the shot distribution as long as he wins the goal-scoring when is on the ice.

There so many different valued shots on the game, that I wouldn't care less about data which doesn't separate them. = Corsi.

Reactions: BinCookin

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Luke Glendening Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Seeing as it's happened for 5 of 6 years? Yeah, I'd say a 93 sv% is pretty sustainable. I mean, 92.8 is literally his career average over 416 games.

Luke Glendening isn't some defensive savant, but there is certainly something to be said for his defensive play that he does in bigger games (like when Detroit used to make the playoffs) get put on the better players from the other team like Tyler Johnson. The Wings should want a better hockey player than him, but LGD gets a raw deal from fans who want to Corsi watch. His Corsi is god awful... but there is something going on with the shot quality the other team gets when he is on the ice.

I know you weren't saying this, but I think it's a bad sign for a team if they're having to do what we were doing with Glendening and shielding our "top" lines by trying to get them out there in positions that required less dominating play. How many teams have won a Cup like that? Maybe Anaheim, when they were running Pahlsson's line out there all of the time. Arguably the wings in 02, but they also had HOFers on every other line.

Also, even if the other team doesn't score while Glendening's line is hemmed in their own zone, I think the endless pressure and own zone time wears on a team, and someone is going to eventually break.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Kind of proves the point that possession numbers aren't the most fundamental thing in hockey.

Like, Washington Capitals did lose possession numbers at every playoff series at last season, and did win the Stanley Cup.

It's a goal-scoring game, not a shot distribution game.

Glendening is enough smart to lose the shot distribution as long as he wins the goal-scoring when is on the ice.

There so many different valued shots on the game, that I wouldn't care less about data which doesn't separate them. = Corsi.
So I guess he was less smart the last couple seasons when he was -14 and -10?

Or maybe plus/minus isn't a super useful stat in isolation either.

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
With Carolina’s recent run, I can’t help but wonder if Gus becomes an option there.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Christopher ehn looks like a solid replacement for luke

I wouldn't say Ehn has the same hockey smarts as Glendening, but I agree he's a workhorse.

Holland needs to get as many draft picks as possible from roster players or upcoming UFA's- there is no excuse otherwise. I hear management repeating that Detroit has 30 picks over the last 3 seasons... and?
We need more. This team is garbage. I don't care about 1st, 3rd, 4th, shit even 7th round. Keep hoarding picks for the next 3 years. It only takes a few lucky hits to be back in the conversation and we could use as many shots as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think Ericsson could become a surprising trade deadline trade bait, if Daley is injured.
I thought the opposite, but maybe with retention he nets a 3rd? I sure hope him & Daley are gone at TDL. That would be the only way I'd be ok with Kronner coming back 1 more year at a ~1M. Cholo-Green, DDK-Hronek, Kronner-Jensen, 5 D who can skate+1 old vet to mentor. If KH doesn't trade for or sign a top 3ish D & loses Jensen, our D will be worse next year if E & Daley come back. Defending is a different story however. We only have 1 halfway decent defender (DDK) & he's usually overmatched b/c of matchups & also a weaker defensive partner.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Keep hoarding picks for the next 3 years.
Holland has stated publicly that he doesn't want to stockpile draft picks beyond this season. He hopes to push for the playoffs next year (lol). If he can't get any good draft picks for this year, he's likely going to trade for young players that can play in the league right now or just re-sign a lot of his UFAs.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Holland has stated publicly that he doesn't want to stockpile draft picks beyond this season. He hopes to push for the playoffs next year (lol). If he can't get any good draft picks for this year, he's likely going to trade for young players that can play in the league right now or just re-sign a lot of his UFAs.
I think it's just a "spaces" & waiting game. If you spend a draft pick on a player, you have some obligation to develop them as best you can. Because of all the picks we have had, there are plenty of players in Juniors, overseas, & college that are coming up and need contracts and we don't have room for all of them. I think packaging picks for higher picks makes sense at this time.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like him as a player, but by the time we are contenders, he will be on the wrong side of 30 and will be close to being a UFA. I dont give him away, but I do it for a 1st or a 2nd.
Yeah, let's just open the floodgates and tell them all to just leave. We don't need players anymore, just draft picks, cause, you know, we are rebuilding. We will just make lines out of numbers on the draft board.

Reactions: lilidk and Henkka

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, let's just open the floodgates and tell them all to just leave. We don't need players anymore, just draft picks, cause, you know, we are rebuilding. We will just make lines out of numbers on the draft board.
Yes. Being open to getting a good return on a 4C is clearly the same as a firesale. The rebuild has failed, and we should move the team to Cleveland.

Or maybe it's ok to deal 2-3 guys each year if there's a good return and they're not part of the next core. Of course that's not as high on the Overreaction Index, but you can't win 'em all.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yes. Being open to getting a good return on a 4C is clearly the same as a firesale. The rebuild has failed, and we should move the team to Cleveland.

Or maybe it's ok to deal 2-3 guys each year if there's a good return and they're not part of the next core. Of course that's not as high on the Overreaction Index, but you can't win 'em all.

Realistically trading Glendening is a favor to him in my opinion. Especially given his fit if it is Toronto. He plays winning hockey and could be deployed massively against Tampa a team he has a history of frustrating. But that is how he gets a big final contract after this one. You play that gritty checking-line forward role on a team that wins something big and you get paid like Jay Beagle. I think it is actually in his best interest to be there. But I wish the Leafs had something I wanted... I just don't see the return, maybe a third team can make it happen but I have no idea what to even ask for from them that they would actually part with.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Last year were a lot of talks about trading Green. What about this year. What is realistically his training value?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Last year were a lot of talks about trading Green. What about this year. What is realistically his training value?

His price is very hefty, easiliy a 1st+.

But his NTC is built on a way that his next selling point would be 2020 deadline.

CLAUSE DETAILS
: No trade clause until Feb 1, 2020, at which point it becomes a Modified NTC where the Player submits a 10 team no trade list

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I wouldn’t agree to a trade of Glenny for a 2nd. I may be in the minority, but I believe Glenny, for the role he plays on this team, is one of our best players and plays winning hockey. I think for how much he would help Toronto, a 2nd isn’t good enough in my eyes. He would be a great fit for them. IMO
He is not worth a first so now what?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

No need to troll, but good try.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We should trade Larkin as well. If we get for him 1st rounders for next 3 years we can win cup in about 10 years from now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad