Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Larry Murphy had more points than Nick Lidstrom. Does that make him a better player?

Lol lets pretend Murphy didnt play throughout the 80 so that your point makes some sense.

Your posts about Cholowski are like what people were saying about Jiri Fisher. Not ready defensively and looks bad out there. Its trial by fire for sure but it was working out for Fisher. Cholowski is getting a taste of the NHL and going into this offseason will be able to get himself ready for next year.

The knock on Chychrun has always been that hes physically NHL ready and that he would probably be a number 4 type quickly, but thats his ceiling basically. Hes a man child of course he was more ready to step into the NHL. I would still rather have Cholowski based on what I'veseen. CHychrun is very 'meh'

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Lol lets pretend Murphy didnt play throughout the 80 so that your point makes some sense.

Your posts about Cholowski are like what people were saying about Jiri Fisher. Not ready defensively and looks bad out there. Its trial by fire for sure but it was working out for Fisher. Cholowski is getting a taste of the NHL and going into this offseason will be able to get himself ready for next year.

The knock on Chychrun has always been that hes physically NHL ready and that he would probably be a number 4 type quickly, but thats his ceiling basically. Hes a man child of course he was more ready to step into the NHL. I would still rather have Cholowski based on what I'veseen. CHychrun is very 'meh'

+Hronek, don't forget about that guy in the trade too!

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
And my point is that he isn't showing he has the tools to become better at defense and playing at the NHL level may not be the best way to build those tools.

Yep, I understood your point the first and second time you said it as well. We’re just going in circles at this point.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Pasta out at least 2 weeks for Boston:

https://www.tsn.ca/bruins-pastrnak-...season-after-falling-injuring-thumb-1.1256452

"Sweeney said Pastrnak, the team's leading scorer with 66 points in 56 games this season, will be re-evaluated in two weeks after undergoing succesful surgery on his left thumb. Sweeney said Pastrnak fell while walking to his transportation after a team function and injured his left thumb.

The general manager added that the injury will not impact the team's plans ahead of the Feb. 25 trade deadline."

Yeah, right. If the Bruins start sliding, they might blink first in the Duchene / Stone / Panarin sweepstakes, and finally get the ball rolling on major TDL action.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pasta out at least 2 weeks for Boston:

https://www.tsn.ca/bruins-pastrnak-...season-after-falling-injuring-thumb-1.1256452

"Sweeney said Pastrnak, the team's leading scorer with 66 points in 56 games this season, will be re-evaluated in two weeks after undergoing succesful surgery on his left thumb. Sweeney said Pastrnak fell while walking to his transportation after a team function and injured his left thumb.

The general manager added that the injury will not impact the team's plans ahead of the Feb. 25 trade deadline."

Yeah, right. If the Bruins start sliding, they might blink first in the Duchene / Stone / Panarin sweepstakes, and finally get the ball rolling on major TDL action.

They were believed to be one of the teams we could count on being more aggressive anyway. I have thought for a while one of those three winds up in Boston. That is going to hurt to watch for Toronto, Montreal or whatever team wins the Metro.

Reactions: Sir Savage the 21st

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Oh Helene... Kenny’s mouthpiece lol

The entire article approaches the situation based on the here and now for the current roster, and quotes the players and the coach.

No kidding they want to keep things intact, because they're hard wired to only care about the here and now.

But it's the job of the front office to also look at the big picture. So you don't give anybody away, but if there's a good return on any pending free agents, you take it, then reevaluate bringing guys back in the summer.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
The entire article approaches the situation based on the here and now for the current roster, and quotes the players and the coach.

No kidding they want to keep things intact, because they're hard wired to only care about the here and now.

But it's the job of the front office to also look at the big picture. So you don't give anybody away, but if there's a good return on any pending free agents, you take it, then reevaluate bringing guys back in the summer.
I understand keeping Glendening because he will still be under contract after this season... But ANY time you have a chance to get something for UFAs, you trade them... you can re-sign them in the offseason, but get assets

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Tyler Dellow just wrote an article for the Athletic where he talks about some issues the Leafs are having after faceoffs, defensive zone faceoffs in particular. His big takeaway is that Toronto could use a right handed center and defenseman. I'd make an offer of sending them Glendening and Jensen for either Liljegren or Sandin and a draft pick. I'd basically want an offensively inclined defensive prospect from them to help build out our defensive corps to be good again in 3-5 years when we would theoretically be competitive once again.

Reactions: mantha39

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tyler Dellow just wrote an article for the Athletic where he talks about some issues the Leafs are having after faceoffs, defensive zone faceoffs in particular. His big takeaway is that Toronto could use a right handed center and defenseman. I'd make an offer of sending them Glendening and Jensen for either Liljegren or Sandin and a draft pick. I'd basically want an offensively inclined defensive prospect from them to help build out our defensive corps to be good again in 3-5 years when we would theoretically be competitive once again.

I've read that they dont want to give up Liljegren or Sandin but if youre sending them Jensen AND Glendening I dont know how you do it without getting one of those 2 players. I think they would give up Liljegren before Sandin. I dont love Liljegren but he has solid top 4 upside if he can get there.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
She is a beauty all right

What garbage.

Trade all ufa's for chances at a better tomorrow and should those free agents truly want to play here then they will resign here in July.

If they dont, than they never really wanted to in the first place so who cares.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I don't see the issue resigning Jensen instead of trading him. Dekeyser is the only veteran defenseman signed past next year and Jensen has been great for us. If the value is not there, it could be better to extend him for 2-3 years and see how his game progresses. Look at how Holland extended Tatar and then flipped him for a haul of picks. If Jensen maintains this play until next years deadline, he could be worth significantly more than we may get now.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I seriously doubt he gets close to that. If those are his demands, sure, trade him
Ok, so what's your number then? How much do you offer to pay Jensen before you walk away? Most UFA defensemen get $4+ million a season.

Jensen is a bottom pairing RHD that can play multiple rolls. Doubt he commands that much. But a 2 or 3 year deal around $2.5 million per shouldn't be out of the question.

He'd be dumb to sign that contract. He can get much more than that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I understand keeping Glendening because he will still be under contract after this season... But ANY time you have a chance to get something for UFAs, you trade them... you can re-sign them in the offseason, but get assets

I disagree to an extent. What other teams are selling and what they are asking clearly affects what Holland can sell for. At the same time, if he caves and sells for something noticeably cheaper than what his assets are normally worth (dealing Nyquist just before the TDL for a fourth, for example) then that's going to become a reputation he has to fight every year. Also, frankly, a third or fourth round pick probably just isn't worth it. A second, maybe. But getting a player of Nyquist's value with a second still isn't a good bet.

I'm really hoping we see the Wings get some good value from a couple of their guys in the next couple of weeks. But if guys are not dealt, I'm not going to kill Holland over it. He probably did the right thing, and he probably didn't leave anything significant on the table.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jensen is a bottom pairing RHD that can play multiple rolls. Doubt he commands that much. But a 2 or 3 year deal around $2.5 million per shouldn't be out of the question.

Lol if Jensen signs that he should fire his agent. He isnt a bottom pairing D man by any statistic whatsoever anymore. Hes a legit number 4 guy that plays big minutes, is a great skater and all his underlying stats/advanced stats say he exact same.

This will be his only big contract of his career probably. If he re-signs with the wing for anything less than 4 million before testing free agency hes an idiot. Theres also almost 0 chance that he only signs for 2 years. If he signs for 3 the cap number is going to be higher than you think. I could see Detroit re-signing him, but only because Holland doesnt mind giving out big contracts to guys who he drafted or have been aorund for a while. If he gave Helm what he did, whats he going to give Jensen?

Reactions: Jon Cusack

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Holland really needs to take every chance he can get in the draft. The prospect pool is still pretty middle of the road, with only one very high value prospect. Add to that that Ras is looking more and more like a career middle 6 forward and Cholo is likely a 2nd pairing PMD/PPQB, Detroit still needs a lot of talent. And I am still in the camp Detroit's best option isn't to try to develop a #1 d-man (both because they have no track record of doing it, and that that player would likely emerge out of sink with the forward core), and the only way to do that is to have assets to trade.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Ok, so what's your number then? How much do you offer to pay Jensen before you walk away? Most UFA defensemen get $4+ million a season.

He'd be dumb to sign that contract. He can get much more than that.

Care to list all the 3rd pair UFA d that have signed for over 4 million per year in the last 5 years?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Care to list all the 3rd pair UFA d that have signed for over 4 million per year in the last 5 years?

Hes not a third pair dman in any way whatsoever. Advanced stats, actual usage, everything points to a top 4 D. Not some elite top pairing D, but a legit second pairing guy on most teams in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->