2019 Trade Deadline Feb 25

Would you move the 2019 1st round pick for scoring help?

• Yes

• No

• Only for a player with term left

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think we need Fro for the stretch run. Probably a no go unless Treliving is adding another forward
Makes sense. I’m asking based on the hypothetical fact that you have added a high end forward though. Otherwise they’d probably just trade a pick for Nemeth if he is indeed the target.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Makes sense. I’m asking based on the hypothetical fact that you have added a high end forward though. Otherwise they’d probably just trade a pick for Nemeth if he is indeed the target.

It really depends what the asking price is for Nemeth. If it’s only like a 5th I think Treliving just pays it and keeps Frolik for depth

If, however, he intends on re-signing this hypothetical new forward we are acquiring then maybe. Frolik’s agent has called out the organization for his usage this year as well. He may want out but if he doesn’t I’d rather hang onto him

I personally value Fro higher than Nemeth, mostly because he fills a bigger need. Kylington/Valimaki have both looked great as third pairing LD and Nemeth is more of insurance if he’s added

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Avs fan here. Is Frolik expendable? I know you guys are a little shy on draft picks and are likely using a 1st if you acquire a big name like Duchene/Stone. I doubt Brad wants to use another pick on a depth guy like Nemeth. Would something around Frolik for Nemeth work?

Negative.
Probably a depth prospect or a late round pick (4-6). I might be wrong, by Pat Nemeth doesn't feel like he has crazy value in this league.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
The thing is, his qualifying offer is 3.25, so I’m not actually sure how much sense it makes to be looking at Burakovsky
We definitely wouldn’t qualify him, I’m not sure any team would, given the year he’s had. I suppose, if the price was right and he did great here, we could potentially recoupe the pick. That’s if signing a prove yourself contract was out of the question.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We definitely wouldn’t qualify him, I’m not sure any team would, given the year he’s had. I suppose, if the price was right and he did great here, we could potentially recoupe the pick. That’s if signing a prove yourself contract was out of the question.
I guess the option to outright sign him to an extensions is always there to a dollar figure less than his QO, but the QO being there will probably drive his price up from “fair value.

On the other hand, just not qualifying him gives up the team control that you’d like to have in that situation, and I think we’d be outbid by other teams in that situation.

Like, there’s obviously ways to keep him, but I’m kind of hesitant on what Brad might have to give up because if it’s Bennett that would be a no-go for me

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It doesn't actually seem like Treliving is going hard after one of the big name rentals, just that's he's "there". But we all know Treliving is "there" on everything. So I'm not sure how much this means.

We know Tre's one of the hardest working GMs in the league; in terms of communication and having his finger on the pulse.
The guy's smart. He gets the guy he wants, he never pays out the ass; it could be him watching the market to see if anyone falls through. I'm certain he'd rather trade some lesser assets than his first this year given the opportunity. I'm fairly sure he won't be involved in a bidding war. He doesn't seem like that type of guy.

That all being said. In terms of this boards' pulse. What would be the feeling of:

1) Use a first round pick, end up with Duchene or Panarin
2) Use later picks & other assets, still somewhat valuable (2nd, 3rd rounders and prospect equivalents), end up with Hayes, Zuccarello or Dzingel
3) Use late picks & other assets (5,6,7th and prospects like Rychel, Lazar, etc), end up with guys like Johansson, Brassard, etc?

Like, what would people here prefer?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
That all being said. In terms of this boards' pulse. What would be the feeling of:

2) Use later picks & other assets, still somewhat valuable (2nd, 3rd rounders and prospect equivalents), end up with Hayes, Zuccarello or Dzingel
3) Use late picks & other assets (5,6,7th and prospects like Rychel, Lazar, etc), end up with guys like Johansson, Brassard, etc?

3, 2, and 1 in that order for me personally. I agree with the people who say that this isn't the year for the Flames to go all-in, so to speak. Don't want to expend tons of assets on guys who just want to test the market when they're done.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
So basically we can trade for and sign Mark Stone and then only have Neal start playing in the playoffs every year. Cool
one issue with going into LTIR space is it would guarantee that we'd have deferred rookie bonuses and Tkachuk could reach all of his bonuses this year, plus whatever all our other rookies collect. That's a decent amount of cap space to lose for next year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Expanding on that actually; what's everyone's trade bait list look like for Calgary; players/picks/prospects that actually could be used in deals. Doing only ABC for simplicity sakes:

A+-Level Assets:
Juuso Valimaki, Oliver Kylington, Sam Bennett, Dillon Dube

A-Level Assets:
2019 1st Rounder, 2020 1st Rounder,

B-Level Assets:
2020 2nd Rounder, Andrew Mangiapane.

C-Level Assets:
Kerby Rychel, Curtis Lazar, Spencer Foo, 2019/2020 3rd rounder, 2019/2020 4th rounder, 2019/2020 5th rounder, 2020 6th rounder, 2019/2020 7th rounder

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
one issue with going into LTIR space is it would guarantee that we'd have deferred rookie bonuses and Tkachuk could reach all of his bonuses this year, pkus whatever all iur other rookies collect. That's a decent amount of cap space to lose for next year.

Ah I was joking, it could be an option this year but we already have a decent chunk of deadline space. It was a crack about LTIR-ing Neal every year and then activating him for playoffs

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I guess the option to outright sign him to an extensions is always there to a dollar figure less than his QO, but the QO being there will probably drive his price up from “fair value.

On the other hand, just not qualifying him gives up the team control that you’d like to have in that situation, and I think we’d be outbid by other teams in that situation.

Like, there’s obviously ways to keep him, but I’m kind of hesitant on what Brad might have to give up because if it’s Bennett that would be a no-go for me
I was actually toying with the idea that the Ducks might not actually want to blow it up but probably won’t be overly happy with the offers for Silfverberg. I wonder if we could pull off a Frolik for Silfverberg deal, based on Frolik’s extra year, similar production and cheaper cap hit, compared to Silfverberg’s new contract. Then flip Silfverberg for Burakovsky. All 3 players have fairly similar production, with Burakovsky probably having the worst linemates, for the most part of the year. I think worst case scenario, we add to Frolik and recoupe the pick at the draft, if we can’t get Burakovsky at a reasonable rate.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ah I was joking, it could be an option this year but we already have a decent chunk of deadline space. It was a crack about LTIR-ing Neal every year and then activating him for playoffs
Ah, my bad. Also upon double checking, if all our rookies reached their max bonuses, it wouldn't be mad re than 1.6 million with Tkachuk being 850k and Vali being 425k, none of the others can even reach 75k individually

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Because we for sure need more time off :facepalm:

(sorry for putting this in this thread, but it was the most sensible place for it to me) :rant:

Anyway, I don't know what to wish for come the deadline. Best of luck to our management, going to trust them on this one. I just hope our top line gets going again.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
It's going to be an interesting week. Be curious to see if some of these deals are going to start happening sooner or later or if TDL show is actually going to be worth watching.

Maybe Stone is holding things up right now. Really hard to gauge this year. Lots of names, stuff not moving (yet).

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
We know Tre's one of the hardest working GMs in the league; in terms of communication and having his finger on the pulse.
The guy's smart. He gets the guy he wants, he never pays out the ass; it could be him watching the market to see if anyone falls through. I'm certain he'd rather trade some lesser assets than his first this year given the opportunity. I'm fairly sure he won't be involved in a bidding war. He doesn't seem like that type of guy.

I’m torn. I think I probably go 2, 1, 3 with a couple of caveats:
1. I’d probably group Brassard in with the guys at #2, as I think his price is probably a bit closer to theirs. I also think a guy like Brassard would be nice to pair with Neal to try and get him going (depending how long he’s out). But regardless, I think adding a 3rd centre like Brassard would be huge for us.
2. I only like option #1 if we can make cap work on a extension, if not, option 1 is clearly in last for me. I think purely renting those guys with a 1st + should be an absolute no-go at this point. Like, at some point (either now or in the off-season) I see us adding another top 6 forward, so if we can do it now with someone who fits under what we’re trying to do for the foreseeable future, I don’t see the harm in that, even if that player comes from group 2.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I was actually toying with the idea that the Ducks might not actually want to blow it up but probably won’t be overly happy with the offers for Silfverberg. I wonder if we could pull off a Frolik for Silfverberg deal, based on Frolik’s extra year, similar production and cheaper cap hit, compared to Silfverberg’s new contract. Then flip Silfverberg for Burakovsky. All 3 players have fairly similar production, with Burakovsky probably having the worst linemates, for the most part of the year. I think worst case scenario, we add to Frolik and recoupe the pick at the draft, if we can’t get Burakovsky at a reasonable rate.
The idea may be there, I just rarely see any of these types of moves actually come to fruition.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Expanding on that actually; what's everyone's trade bait list look like for Calgary; players/picks/prospects that actually could be used in deals. Doing only ABC for simplicity sakes:

A+-Level Assets:
Juuso Valimaki, Oliver Kylington, Sam Bennett, Dillon Dube

A-Level Assets:
2019 1st Rounder, 2020 1st Rounder,

B-Level Assets:
2020 2nd Rounder, Andrew Mangiapane.

Pretty much the same for me but I'd rather trade the 2019 first than Mangiapane. He has too much history of dominating every level that he has played at.

I'd rather not trade the 2019 first at all though.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Trading our 1st rounder this year and getting bounced out of the first or second round would be a bitter pill to swallow, since we have no 2nd either.

I don't really see a case to be made for trading our first unless we know we can win the cup this year.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
As we get closer to the deadline, I get the feeling we aren't going to do much of anything. Maybe a depth add but not much else. Treliving is on record saying that he prefers to build his teams in the summer and the org seems to have faith in what they've put together to this point. In particular, I think a goalie add is the most unlikely thing to happen at this point.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
As we get closer to the deadline, I get the feeling we aren't going to do much of anything. Maybe a depth add but not much else. Treliving is on record saying that he prefers to build his teams in the summer and the org seems to have faith in what they've put together to this point. In particular, I think a goalie add is the most unlikely thing to happen at this point.
He also said, in the same interview, that he has faith in the goaltending, as well. Plus, Smith is playing as good or better than most of the guys available, right now, at least. Goaltender trades always strike me as offseason moves.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta

I'm perfectly fine with staying put or doing minimum tweaks that don't cost us much. One thing I'd like to add is another veteran defenseman to take the load off our younger guys.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Trading our 1st rounder this year and getting bounced out of the first or second round would be a bitter pill to swallow, since we have no 2nd either.

I don't really see a case to be made for trading our first unless we know we can win the cup this year.

The more I think about it, I think if that first is moved, and it's not Duchene or Panarin; that it'll be conditional.
Like to me, you don't use a straight up first for guys like Zuccarello or Hayes.

I'd be comfortable doing things like conditional firsts, 2020 second being the conditional pick; condition being the conference finals.

Reactions: Mobiandi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad