2019 Trade Deadline Feb 25

Would you move the 2019 1st round pick for scoring help?

• Yes

• No

• Only for a player with term left

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Honestly, I'd rather do as little as possible. Maybe Zuck for a 2nd+, but otherwise, I'd rather see what this group is capable of while keeping our picks. The roster turn-over since the 2017 playoffs has been pretty significant:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
Bouma-Stajan-Chiasson

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Stone (he hasn't been healthy all year, may as well not be counted in the lineup).
Bartkowski-Engelland

New lineup in comparison (I just want to keep writing right now):

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal (right now Czarnik)
Mangiapane-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Kylington (maybe Valimaki?)-Andersson

Half of our forward group (including pretty much our entire bottom 6) and pretty much our entire d-core has either seen players either shuffled around (Bennett is no longer a center, Brodie on the right side again) or moved out. This group may as well almost be a new team at this point, and playoff experience (outside of Frolik and Neal) is next to nothing for a large chunk of our new players. I'd rather not pay a 1st rounder for a rental, only to realize that we aren't ready yet. This probably isn't the year. Going with what he have and seeing where we go likely is the best option at this point, and I expect us to be relatively quiet at the deadline as a result.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
One of two things will happen:

1) Tre will go big game hunting, if the cost is not prohibitive.
2) Tre will tinker for depth.

I think quietly Brad will look at Matt Duchene, we know he's been in on centres for the longest time. We were connected to Matt Duchene previously, we were connected to Turris twice.

I kind of feel that's our target, and I know some people don't like it much; but he instantly makes us so much deadlier.

If we win the cup, we will have done so with the weakest centre depth... in like... a mighty long time. Like, probably the weakest since the Canes did it over a decade ago. Essentially the past number of winners have had two guys who'd in their primes would be our #1 without a shadow of a doubt.

If the cost is simply prohibited, I imagine he'll do the Zucc type pickup or J0hansson type pickup. I think he'll grab another depth D, as there's just no confirmation Stone will be back anytime soon.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
"We have made significant changes and they are something we think about a lot," Flames general manager Brad Treliving said. "Of course, you always look at it if you can make your team better, but we like to have stability on the team, too. When you've gone through change, that's part of the business, but you don't want to create turbulence.

"I'm a firm believer that you build your team in the summer. Wholesale changes and major operational changes during the season, for a whole bunch of reasons it's more difficult to do, I feel."
Treliving said he continues to take the pulse of the market.

"You want to make sure you're exploring and looking for every opportunity to help your team but there's also an important time to make sure things are stable," he said. "It's a balance and you don't want change for change's sake."

On the major attention rental players are receiving this season and his interest in them:
"Every year, there are players on expiring contracts and they always get attention. Each year, especially in this country (Canada), it becomes bigger and bigger, gets more attention. Traditionally, I haven't been a big fan of the rental market. Expending assets for something short in time, that's difficult in a cap-based system. We've spent picks before but all for players with term. We'll have to see how it plays out. You stay in touch with the marketplace and talk to other teams, but we'll wait and see and watch how things go. It can be a dangerous game, getting involved and spending a lot of assets for something that's real short-term."
On the pressures and the atmosphere surrounding a contending team this season:
"Anybody that's played or worked in a Canadian market knows the juice that goes with it. When your team is going well, it's an exciting time for the fan base. It brings an energy to the city we sometimes forget. We are constantly reminded of the importance the team plays in the every-day outlook of the city. A city can be energized, the citizens can be energized when the team is going well, and that's part of what sport is about. We have a large responsibility in helping people be a distraction for things that are going on around them and I think it's important, when things are going well, that you can feel that in your city. Conversely, when you're having a tough time, you feel that, too."
On how that "juice" may affect his approach to the deadline:
"From the management chair, you have to block that out. One of the big reasons you want to do well is so your city can have that juice -- but that can't play a role, be in the pressures or excitement. I always call it riding the wave. We can't ride the wave like the fans, the media and the local market do. You have to block that noise out because, quite frankly, it does not help you make sound decisions. There has to be some sterile work done, where you're keeping yourself quite a bit insulated. You try to block that noise out and really focus on the team and areas you might improve, balancing the short and long term. Of course, you want to invigorate your market and you want your fans to be excited, but you also have to have the blinders when it comes to the decisions. I can't drive the decision-making process, but you can certainly feel the buzz when the team does well."
On his confidence in the Flames' goalies:
"We have a veteran guy who's been through this before in Mike Smith, someone who has played playoff games and gone on a playoff run and has played important, meaningful games in the spring. And we've got a younger goalie who has really made a name for himself this season. David Rittich has had a tremendous year and we had great confidence in him. Many questions were asked of me last summer about upgrading the goaltending, but we didn't spend a whole lot of time on it. We had a lot of faith in David. Especially in that position, it takes time. He's a young guy who's gone through the proper steps, played in Europe, spent time in the American Hockey League, became a really good goalie there. His first year in the NHL last year was a good season. Did he skin his knee when Mike got hurt? Absolutely, but there are lots of good goalies in this League that have taken some time to go through that process. We felt the experience David gained last year not only helped him but that we'd be better off for it. We've been proven right on that."
On his confidence based on what the Flames have done so far:
"I've got a great deal of confidence in our whole team. I like what our team has done to this point but we're in a little stretch facing some adversity right now (0-2-2 in four games before a 5-4 win at the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday). I think it's good for us. Sometimes the players, they have to experience it and we still have many young players and we're seeing how games are different after the (All-Star) break. They're seeing it with their own eyes. And each night I'm really interested to see how we approach things. And we'll continue to watch the market and make calls and take calls and go through the process leading up to the deadline."

Flames want to maintain stability amid Trade Deadline pressure, GM says

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
On the major attention rental players are receiving this season and his interest in them:

On the pressures and the atmosphere surrounding a contending team this season:

On how that "juice" may affect his approach to the deadline:

On his confidence in the Flames' goalies:

On his confidence based on what the Flames have done so far:

Flames want to maintain stability amid Trade Deadline pressure, GM says

It's bullshit talk. Trev is f***ed. His hands are tied after he made that stupid Neal signing. Unless they want to mortgage the future for a rental, there is no room to improve the team.

Don't expect much

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
I’ll never believe what Brad puts out in the media. I think we should’ve learned that lesson by now, no?

He’ll find a way to make this team better, either with minor moves or a bigger one, but I can pretty much guarantee you there will be movement.

Reactions: Volica

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It's bull**** talk. Trev is ****ed. His hands are tied after he made that stupid Neal signing. Unless they want to mortgage the future for a rental, there is no room to improve the team.

Don't expect much

I mean most people here liked it, but yeah, not a great move looking back. His shot looked gone the whole year, and I have a funny feeling the injury he had been dealing with was a major reason. That's just something that doesn't go away in the span of one off-season, new stick or not.

As for people hoping he "turns it on" in the playoffs, yeah, ok. Heard the exact same stuff spouted for brouwer and look how that turned out. We better hope his injury fixes his shot once it's dealt with, because otherwise he's bordering on useless.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I mean most people here liked it, but yeah, not a great move looking back. His shot looked gone the whole year, and I have a funny feeling the injury he had been dealing with was a major reason. That's just something that doesn't go away in the span of one off-season, new stick or not.

As for people hoping he "turns it on" in the playoffs, yeah, ok. Heard the exact same stuff spouted for brouwer and look how that turned out.

Except Neal had 6 points in his last 10 games before going down to injury.
Pretty much the production we expected from him, once his shooting normalized. I can't take people who compare Nealer to Brouwer seriously at all.

Brouwer was a possession black hole until they literally started giving him 10 minutes a night with some of the easier competition on the team. He never created or looked like he was doing anything except being hemmed in his own zone. For all of Neal's lack of production, he certainly makes his line look significantly more dangerous. That's all while that second unit PP has been a disaster, and he's been tied to the dynamo known as Mark Jankowski, who for all his ability in terms of PKing is still a bad 5v5 player.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I’ll never believe what Brad puts out in the media. I think we should’ve learned that lesson by now, no?

He’ll find a way to make this team better, either with minor moves or a bigger one, but I can pretty much guarantee you there will be movement.

Treliving talks out of both sides of his mouth in terms of media; always has and always will.
Calgary is known to be one of, if not the, most tight lipped organizations in hockey.

He's not going to do an NHL.com interview and be like:
'Welp. We LOVE Matt Duchene. We will pony up to upgrade our team, because we want to make a deep playoff run. I know we're having some decent performances from some players, but guys like Sam Bennett, Mark Jankowski, etc, we'd upgrade them in a heartbeat if the right move came along.'

He'll say exactly what he said there. 'I like our team. If there's a deal that makes sense we'll make it. Pump the tires of our players.'

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Except Neal had 6 points in his last 10 games before going down to injury.
Pretty much the production we expected from him, once his shooting normalized. I can't take people who compare Nealer to Brouwer seriously at all.

Brouwer was a possession black hole until they literally started giving him 10 minutes a night with some of the easier competition on the team. He never created or looked like he was doing anything except being hemmed in his own zone. For all of Neal's lack of production, he certainly makes his line look significantly more dangerous. That's all while that second unit PP has been a disaster, and he's been tied to the dynamo known as Mark Jankowski, who for all his ability in terms of PKing is still a bad 5v5 player.

A 10 game sample size isn't conclusive. As I've said, I'll give him slack if he's been dealing with an ailment, as that would excuse why his shot has looked off this year. His assist totals seem pretty reasonable, and I have reason to believe he will be better next year. No, he isn't a liability on the ice, but a 6 million dollar non-factor isn't good either. At this point, this year is most likely a write-off until he has surgery and recovers.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
A 10 game sample size isn't conclusive. As I've said, I'll give him slack if he's been dealing with an ailment, as that would excuse why his shot has looked off this year. His assist totals seem pretty reasonable, and I have reason to believe he will be better next year. No, he isn't a liability on the ice, but a 6 million dollar non-factor isn't good either. At this point, this year is most likely a write-off until he has surgery and recovers.
What is him needing surgery based on? His shot looking off?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
What is him needing surgery based on? His shot looking off?

Speculation, but apparently some sort of lingering injury he's had in his hand or shoulder. Guess I should've clarified that it wasn't confirmed, but it would make sense. If he honestly was 100% until his recent injury, then I'm honestly wondering where the hell his shot went.

Reactions: MonyontheMoney

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

As for people hoping he "turns it on" in the playoffs, yeah, ok. Heard the exact same stuff spouted for brouwer and look how that turned out. We better hope his injury fixes his shot, because otherwise he's bordering on useless.

Yes, most people liked the signing but that doesnt mean it's not a bad signing.

Neal is actually not a bad player, just making too much. He would be perfect under 2M...Have we heard that before? lol

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yes, most people liked the signing but that doesnt mean it's not a bad signing.

Neal is actually not a bad player, just making too much. He would be perfect under 2M...Have we heard that before? lol

You don't get 20 goal guys in the NHL anymore for 2M and under.
His contract, while a bit high, isn't obscenely high in terms of the new cap. 5 years ago this contract would be the equivalent of a 4.2-4.5 deal.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

You have questioned why you do not get respect on these boards with many people and it is the reckless blinders you put on when your "judgement" on a player is made. No matter the stats, proof or other extraneous info your mind is closed. There is not an objective bone in your body when it comes to passing comments on Smith or Neal.... Period. You just keep spewing the same nonsense... Much like another poster and the third line Winger playing on the first line center role.

If you want respect quit running over other peoples opinions and show some courtesy and after you have made your point allow others to give theirs without trying to shove yours down their throat. We only need to read how much you think Neal and Smith suck once a day.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Treliving seems like he’s got a pretty responsible approach to the deadline and isn’t feeling any pressure to win, right now. I believe he’s already looking past the playoffs. He knows there’s holes to fill and moving picks or prospects, for rentals would handcuff him in the offseason. Next year, Frolik will be gone and there’s nobody to step in. I don’t think the organization sees Czarnik as a viable replacement over the coarse of a full season. The goaltending situation is still very much, in the wind and upgrades/replacements will be required. I think we basically, stand fast, and do next to nothing at the deadline.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
You have questioned why you do not get respect on these boards with many people and it is the reckless blinders you put on when your "judgement" on a player is made. No matter the stats, proof or other extraneous info your mind is closed. There is not an objective bone in your body when it comes to passing comments on Smith or Neal.... Period. You just keep spewing the same nonsense... Much like another poster and the third line Winger playing on the first line center role.

If you want respect quit running over other peoples opinions and show some courtesy and after you have made your point allow others to give theirs without trying to shove yours down their throat. We only need to read how much you think Neal and Smith suck once a day.

Ummm... your the only one not being objective. An objective fan would see that Neal has less points per 60 minutes than garnet Hathaway this season and be a little concerned knowing that one makes 6 million a year and another is a fourth line grinder. Virtually every fanbase outside of us sees him as an anchor as of now, and that’s 100% objective regardless of what we want to believe.

I’ve never stopped anyone from sharing their opinion, that doesn’t mean I’m agreeing with it. If someone is sharing an opinion I don’t agree with, is it shoved down my throat?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ummm... your the only one not being objective. An objective fan would see that Neal has less points per 60 minutes than garnet Hathaway this season and be a little concerned knowing that one makes 6 million a year and another is a fourth line grinder. Virtually every fanbase outside of us sees him as an anchor as of now, and that’s 100% objective regardless of what we want to believe.

I’ve never stopped anyone from sharing their opinion, that doesn’t mean I’m agreeing with it. If someone is sharing an opinion I don’t agree with, is it shoved down my throat?

HFboards tries to diminish everything Calgary does :laugh:
We're one of the smaller boards, we're Canadian, and two of the major big groups that use this forum are Toronto and Edmonton; two teams that like to take potshots at us whenever they can.

It's the same group that'll openly tell me about players they watch 2 times a year; and neglect our opinions.

Neal's fine. Until that contract really hurts us, I won't bat an eye. Treliving has done an amazing job putting together a really cap compliant roster, and has kept term low... Every 2-3 years we shed a tonne of Salary.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
HFboards tries to diminish everything Calgary does :laugh:
We're one of the smaller boards, we're Canadian, and two of the major big groups that use this forum are Toronto and Edmonton; two teams that like to take potshots at us whenever they can.

It's the same group that'll openly tell me about players they watch 2 times a year; and neglect our opinions.

Neal's fine. Until that contract really hurts us, I won't bat an eye. Treliving has done an amazing job putting together a really cap compliant roster, and has kept term low... Every 2-3 years we shed a tonne of Salary.

It’s not an issue now when we have a pretty good core locked up cheap thanks to the wizard, and I certainly think he can bounce back next year once he’s healed up and his shot is (hopefully) back. Gonna suck seeing that 20 goal streak snapped though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It’s not an issue now when we have a pretty good core locked up cheap thanks to the wizard, and I certainly think he can bounce back next year once he’s healed up and his shot is (hopefully) back. Gonna suck seeing that 20 goal streak snapped though.

The On Ice Shooting percentage for Neal is down to 5.96%; The past seven years, the average is well above 8.00%. His personal 5v5 shooting percentage is 4.26; a far cry from the 10+ he normally has.

Worse yet is his PP SH%; which over the past 5 years... is almost half of the lowest it has ever been (4.35 VS 8.00).

Things will bounce back from Neal. He's creating and looks dangerous. Before he was injured that third line finally looked like it had some life.

IT goes back to my point about getting a guy like Matt Duchene this deadline. A second line of Tkachuk - Duchene and Neal would be horrible to deal with.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The On Ice Shooting percentage for Neal is down to 5.96%; The past seven years, the average is well above 8.00%. His personal 5v5 shooting percentage is 4.26; a far cry from the 10+ he normally has.

Worse yet is his PP SH%; which over the past 5 years... is almost half of the lowest it has ever been (4.35 VS 8.00).

Things will bounce back from Neal. He's creating and looks dangerous. Before he was injured that third line finally looked like it had some life.

IT goes back to my point about getting a guy like Matt Duchene this deadline. A second line of Tkachuk - Duchene and Neal would be horrible to deal with.

But duchene is a locker room cancer :sarcasm:

SlickShot

Feb 8, 2019
Nah. The team is pretty young and set up well cap-wise, we should still be focusing on setting up depth for future years and keeping high picks.

Do you consider 2oth-32nd overall a high pick? I don't and that's where the Flames will end up with being high in the standings so I don't mind them trading away their 1st round pick this year for playoff help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino