2019 Trade Deadline Feb 25

Would you move the 2019 1st round pick for scoring help?

• Yes

• No

• Only for a player with term left

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I thought I'd start this specific thread since the TDL is now only 21 days away. I fully expect Treliving to make one or two acquisitions and would be shocked if most of the major contenders didn't too. Lots of good players out there this year who could be up for grabs.
I myself would love to see Ferland welcomed back into the fold, even if its on a rental basis right now and worry about signing him after we win the cup. :naughty: I love his compete level and if anyone can ramp it up for the playoffs it's Ferly.

I would also like to see us shore up our backup goalie situation. As I've said before, I've just totally lost confidence in Smith this year... even if the stats do show he's playing better lately... since stats can be misleading because he's getting more than his fair share of easy assignments and the Flames have either scored a lot of goals in front of him, or really limited the shots on net against him,`1qa to get him some of those wins. Not sure who would be the best choice as a backup to BSD but I pretty sure its not Smith and in Treliving I trust.

Here are a few articles out there about teams and who's available..

HockeyBuzz.com - Todd Cordell - Calgary Flames rumored to have their 1st round pick in play

5 Forwards the Calgary Flames Could Target at the Deadline

https://www.tsn.ca/first-round-pick-in-play-as-jets-consider-big-game-hunting-1.1252065

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-februrary-4-2019/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I also want to say that lately I've been checking the sports new on a daily basis to see if Treliving has done something. We all know how Tre likes to get out in front of the pack on these things and hates to leave it till the last minute. ;)

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Quite honestly, I don't think we're gonna try to reel in any big fish. That's never been Treliving's M.O. - he usually saves that for draft day. It's just not worth messing with the chemistry of the team when they're rolling.

I think a cheap bottom 6 forward (Brassard, Boyle, Maroon, etc.) and a 6th-7th Dman might be the extent of things he's looking at.

I also think we're going to save any goaltender acquisitions for the summer. As others have mentioned, Smith is providing invaluable mentorship to Rittich despite his struggles in net. Getting rid of him probably wouldn't be worth it and the logistics to accommodate a third goalie would be difficult.

Most of all, I hope we hang onto Frolik in any trade we make. Even in the summer. Players like him are hard to replace

Reactions: Rockmorton

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@Rubi I’m sorry but I’m gonna close this for at least 1-2 weeks. We already have an Armchair GM thread and that’s all this will be until the deadline gets rolling. We don’t need 2 threads yet until deals get rolling. I’ll open it up later on and we can discuss actual deals here.

Hox

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Lots of good UFAs on the right side of 30 rumored to be available. Quite possibly some players with term left that might fit into our cap structure as well. I'm hoping the TDL has quite a few sellers and not as many buyers as the last couple years and the prices are driven down.

If a player than can slot into out top 6 nicely is made available for our 1st would you do it? It would mean not picking in the first two rounds two years in a row, which can't be good for the long term health of the prospect pool. On the other hand I haven't liked what I've seen from this years draft class too much, and the Flames 2nd PP unit could really use some more punch.

Pretty much on the fence for this, if the team struggles scoring in February I could see them making a bit of a splash. Could also see them not doing much.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No I wouldn't. We've traded away our 1st in 2015 and 2018, our 2nd in 2017, 2018, 2019, and our 3rd in 2015, 2017, 2018.

The scouting team has made some very good picks after Treliving has taken over and have had to scavenge for a lot late-round gems with moderate success. It's time to throw them a bone and let them work their magic in the first round again.

I would, however, consider moving a couple of forwards and late picks to remodel our forward group. When Gaudreau's not on, this team looks very, very slow.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
For the right player, yeah. For example, Kreider, Zibanejad or Huberdeau. Problem is, all of those guys would require a lot more than just a first to go the other way and I don't believe the Flames can afford to deplete their cupboards to that extent. The value of cost controlled ELC's is unmatched.

Moving the first for a rental is just an absolute non-starter however. This core simply lacks the necessary experience to justify mortgaging the future. Regardless of how well the regular seasons goes, no one really knows how this group will fair in the playoffs.

And here's the other thing, both the Jets and Lightening will likely take a step or two back next season as result of their cap situation (Point, Stralman, Conner, Laine, Trouba, Myers are all free agents of some kind). Meanwhile, the Flames will at most only lose a Frolik or Stone (if he's healthy enough to be traded/actually have value). Calgary's cup window is really only just opening; there's no need to rush things.

Or the last few months were nothing more than a mirage, the team's a fraud and the core isn't good enough. In which case, they need to hoard their future even more so to get a better core. So either way, save the future.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Same. Stone or bust. (and in relation to the other replies, Stone both adds scoring help and defensive help, so it's best of both worlds)
While Stone would be a great add, his defensive acumen while better than Frolik's is not enough to make enough of a difference. with how we are playing as a whole right now. A goaltender and a bottom pair defenseman should be our priorities.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
While Stone would be a great add, his defensive acumen while better than Frolik's is not enough to make enough of a difference. with how we are playing as a whole right now. A goaltender and a bottom pair defenseman should be our priorities.

TIL a PPG selke level defender isn’t a big difference over a 40ish point middle 6 winger.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
We don't ****ing need scoring help. We need better defensive play and decent goaltending.
Teams that get 85% of their offence from 1 line, usually don’t do very well in the playoffs. We need someone other than Tkachuk to create some scoring chance, outside of the top line. Otherwise it’ll be a first round exit.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We should just use that 2019 first to draft Spencer Knight since we need goaltending help :sarcasm:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think the idea would be to theoretically keep Frolik and find another way to open cap space (Neal buyout/trade, trade Janko, whatever), which would greatly improve forward depth.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I'd move the first for Panarin (even if he doesn't re-sign), Stone or any of the other big fish.

For Zuccarello though? nah

If we get Panarin the odds of our 1st being 25 or later is very high so I do it. With Panarin (or Stone) I think we have the offensive firepower to get past San Jose, our only real challenge in the West.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I think the idea would be to theoretically keep Frolik and find another way to open cap space (Neal buyout/trade, trade Janko, whatever), which would greatly improve forward depth.
A Neal buyout would be against our cap for 8 years, he's not being bought out; at least not anytime soon. Jankowski being moved is not nearly enough space. Then there is the question of moving Michael Stone, do you move him or buy him out when he is a bargaining chip to get Mark to sign here? Frolik would have to go, without question, there is no other real option. But, hypothetically, if we could keep him, he'd be in a reduced role and would make less of an impact than he does currently... and so would Stone, he's not going to supplant someone from the top line, so his minutes will be reduced, he won't get PP1 time either, again lowering his impact from what he does currently.

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
I'd move the first for Panarin (even if he doesn't re-sign), Stone or any of the other big fish.

For Zuccarello though? nah

If we get Panarin the odds of our 1st being 25 or later is very high so I do it. With Panarin (or Stone) I think we have the offensive firepower to get past San Jose, our only real challenge in the West.
Think you’re forgetting Winnipeg and Nashville.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Only in a package for Stone, or Duchene, hopefully with extensions.
Rather trade a 2nd for a goalie.
If Dallas was out of it I'd really want to pry Methot, but there's no way they're trading him now.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
A Neal buyout would be against our cap for 8 years, he's not being bought out; at least not anytime soon. Jankowski being moved is not nearly enough space. Then there is the question of moving Michael Stone, do you move him or buy him out when he is a bargaining chip to get Mark to sign here? Frolik would have to go, without question, there is no other real option. But, hypothetically, if we could keep him, he'd be in a reduced role and would make less of an impact than he does currently... and so would Stone, he's not going to supplant someone from the top line, so his minutes will be reduced, he won't get PP1 time either, again lowering his impact from what he does currently.
I'd say hypothetically if the cap worked out, you'd basically just cut the 4th line's minutes significantly in order to increase the minutes for the 2nd line (and a bit for the 3rd). As it stands the bottom 6 is a bit of a weakness, but if you add Frolik to it (and Stone to the 2nd) you're effectively running two first lines and the 3rd line (e.g. Bennett/Ryan/Frolik) becomes a pretty good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->