Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liverpool will be fine. Still one of the top teams in the world. The only thing thqt is disappointing is that they didn't show any proactivity in trying to overtake City, who will almost undoubtedly stroll to another PL title.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I think he will be OK this season.

Really don´t get that Utd squad though. Seems unbalanced all over the place.

The central midfield seems short. And where is the creativity whenever Pogba doesn´t play? I actually like McTominay. I think he is decent, but are you playing him, Matic and Fred?

And who plays on the right? Mata?

Cool if they succeed with the youngsters, but still think they should have changed things up more than they managed.
Agree with just about everything. There's no creativity and little link up ability if both McTominay and Matic are your holding midfielders the majority of the time. That's fine if United are trying to shithouse their way to an away draw, but there's no attacking creativity unless they plan to have Mata drop back into a holding role. He doesn't nearly have the pace anymore to be a winger.

As for the RW spot, I really think that Ole believes that Lingard and James are quality enough. I disagree. I never believed the Neres links for a minute even though he would've been a perfect fit. That was confirmed when he signed a new deal with Ajax yesterday.

I assume that Rashford/Martial platoon the striker spot. That's fine with me. Both guys (Martial especially) are natural strikers. I think Rashford is the better winger if one needs to move out wide. Mario would've been the perfect back up, but it doesn't look like that got across the line.

I've been most impressed with Arsenal and Everton's business this window. Everton is a definite threat for 5th or 6th place. I'm not sure United did enough to secure a top 4 spot even though AWB is a beast and Maguire a decent to good signing despite the price, after seeing Arsenal beef up their squad. 4th place is going to come down to whoever plays better out of United or Arsenal's back line and goalkeeping. Both teams can put the ball in the net. We'll see.

Reactions: Havre

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
I am very disappointed with Liverpool. For a champion league winner and premier league runner up they showed no ambition this summer.

I know everything Klopp has touch so far has turn into gold but if LFC lose ground next year and possibly miss the Champion League or miss to win the league by a couple points again due to lack of depth, he would deserves the blame.

Not good at all.
What team has a better roster? Maybe LFC just didn't want to spend big money on little improvements. And I'm not even a fan.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am very disappointed with Liverpool. For a champion league winner and premier league runner up they showed no ambition this summer.

I know everything Klopp has touch so far has turn into gold but if LFC lose ground next year and possibly miss the Champion League or miss to win the league by a couple points again due to lack of depth, he would deserves the blame.

Not good at all.

Klopp’s toughest task may very well be keeping these guys feeling challenged with no new blood coming into the squad, pressing for playing time.

Is he final say in all transfers for Liveroool?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Even if Eriksen leaves, I am struggling to contain my excitement for next season. Lo Celso and Ndombele play some really attractive/entertaining football.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
What team has a better roster? Maybe LFC just didn't want to spend big money on little improvements. And I'm not even a fan.

Some people are getting mad that they didn't do what RM did when they won the CL. Same RM who signed Theo Hernandez, Marcos Llorente, and Dani Ceballos. All of them couldn't break into the first team and didn't do anything.

Other than Ndombele, nobody they could have signed that moved this summer would break into the first team. They also have way too many midfielders to sign another midfielder.

Some people are just obsessed with transfers I think. Klopp was pretty clear last summer that this was the squad he planned to be our team for the next few seasons.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Klopp’s toughest task may very well be keeping these guys feeling challenged with no new blood coming into the squad, pressing for playing time.

Is he final say in all transfers for Liveroool?

No.

I think Klopp's greatest challenge is the same as every season, training the front three to ensure they're fit for every game. Which for two seasons, they have been and they've missed barely any games.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
With Everton I will not believe it until I see it. They had a great window on paper last year and were extremely underwhelming.
If Kean can be more of a goal threat up front than we have had recently we might have a strong season. Breaking into the top 6 is going to be tough, none of the big 6 look vulnerable this year to me. I expect there to be a comfortable gap between 6th and 7th that's in double figures.

(and I am still worried about lack of depth in central defence which they tried to address today but failed to do so).

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
All rosie on paper until one of the key forward is injured and you have to rely on the like of Lallana/Origi/Shaqiri to cover.

I want them to win and compete but it is a tad dissapointing to be fair what they did this summer.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kinda bummed “The world’s most expensive Scottish footballer” went to Arsenal....now it will be hard to pull for him like I would have.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
All rosie on paper until one of the key forward is injured and you have to rely on the like of Lallana/Origi/Shaqiri to cover.

I want them to win and compete but it is a tad dissapointing to be fair what they did this summer.

Origi?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Are you talking exclusively PL here?

Yep.

Lol there's nothing wrong with those players. Or Brewster. Or Ox. The squad is very, very strong.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Kinda bummed “The world’s most expensive Scottish footballer” went to Arsenal....now it will be hard to pull for him like I would have.
EBdfVE-X4AE4ter

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
No.

I think Klopp's greatest challenge is the same as every season, training the front three to ensure they're fit for every game. Which for two seasons, they have been and they've missed barely any games.
I’d slightly disagree. If Klopp didn’t want a player; they wouldn’t sign him. I think it’s rare that he would say no, because he can be convinced. Also if he did want a player, the money is there and I think he would get them.

It’s clear with the VVD that he wanted that player, and they did it, no matter the cost.

We are splitting hairs, but I think if Klopp made it clear one way or the other, they’d back him. I just think he is happy to focus on coaching what he has, and happy to let the stats guys behind Edwards do their thing.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Breaking into the top 6 is going to be tough, none of the big 6 look vulnerable this year to me. I expect there to be a comfortable gap between 6th and 7th that's in double figures.

Really eh? I think Chelsea is going to struggle this year and United may as well. With the upgrades made by many of the teams outside of the top 6 there are also going to be more match weeks where 3 points is hard to come by.

One of the 5-6 spots could be ripe for the taking.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Liverpool were not going to spend big this summer.

I would argue there’s a few players who would have helped, but I think they’re focused on using the squad they have and pushing on. The front three getting hurt would be a concern, but I think any two are good enough to do the business for a while. I think the manager feels Shaqiri is good enough, and I think Ox can do a job on the right. I also think he’s ok playing a different formation with more midfielders. I just think they didn’t want to pay 60-70+ for a fourth choice attacker, when they really feel Brewster has loads of talent and Shaqiri and Origi can be good (while also being happy with their role). Defensively, a left back would have been ideal, but who with talent wants to sit the bench in all but the League Cup? Milner can do a job, the Dutch kid looks good (and I’m sure in training he had been pretty good or they would have); and if it’s a bust, get someone in January.

It’s frustrating because transfers are sexy, and they’re fun. It’s also frustrating knowing they clearly have the money. But this squad hasn’t reached their peak in Klopp’s mind (largely because he didn’t have Ox or Keita for most of it) and many of their players can get better. Save the money, spend it next summer. #Mbappe2020

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I'm surprised the thread police hasn't pointed out that there's a Confirmed Transfers thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad