Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Is the window closed and is the David Luiz deal confirmed?

I have no idea why we can't seem to buy a solid up and coming CB. With all the money we spent in this window, we're still stuck with a mediocre backline.

We keep buying offensive players when our biggest weakness, for the past decade IMO, has been our defence.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

I have no idea why we can't seem to buy a solid up and coming CB. With all the money we spent in this window, we're still stuck with a mediocre backline.

We keep buying offensive players when our biggest weakness, for the past decade IMO, has been our defence.
We tried to sign Dayot Upamecano, can't do much more when RB Leipzig are refusing to sell.

Koscielny + 3m for Luiz is good business for the short term. They're gonna make a big money CB signing next summer.

Reactions: robertmac43

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Offense was also a weakness. There were no wingers last year and they addressed it.

The defence has been addressed with Luiz being a temporary fix while Saliba develops. Plus they have next window and next year to go after Upamecano.

Reactions: Cassano

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yep, see the Liverpool home game last season.

i feel u and I are the only Arsenal fans that like/rate Iwobi :(
I like Iwobi a lot, but that's business and with the limited budget Raul had they're a much better team today then they were when last season ended.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
But but Arsenal were doomed because they had a limited budget, no players that teams want and kicked out transfer guru Sven!

Raul showed the doubters.
I blame Gazidis for the low expectations he's caused me to have.

This bald fraud f***er set us back 5-10 years

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
davidluiz.png

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I honestly don´t see the revolution at Arsenal. But I agree it looks like a good upgrade for 48m. But that it is for me. A good upgrade for 48m.

Not sure why others weren´t in for Tierney. Not suggesting he is a 50m player, but still surprising he didn´t go for more. I guess Spurs went with Sessegnon, Utd got Shaw, Liverpool got Robertson, City Mendy etc and Chelsea can´t buy - timing was right for Arsenal.

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis

Read about our whole window.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I honestly don´t see the revolution at Arsenal. But I agree it looks like a good upgrade for 48m. But that it is for me. A good upgrade for 48m.

Not sure why others weren´t in for Tierney. Not suggesting he is a 50m player, but still surprising he didn´t go for more. I guess Spurs went with Sessegnon, Utd got Shaw, Liverpool got Robertson, City Mendy etc and Chelsea can´t buy - timing was right for Arsenal.

You know that this is only one window. Considering all the doom and gloom talk on this board they've done a great job in addressing the team's weakness. There's still dead weight to get rid of and more signings to be made in the future.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
@Stray Wasp You liking this?

The only opinion I've heard about Krafth outside this thread was somebody claiming he was average.

A right back was needed, so I'll wait and see.

Obviously, he faces two challenges:
1) adapting to playing against EPL clubs in 2019/20;
2) adapting to training methods and tactics designed for a run at a EPL mid table finish in 2004/05.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
You know that this is only one window. Considering all the doom and gloom talk on this board they've done a great job in addressing the team's weakness. There's still dead weight to get rid of and more signings to be made in the future.

I´m not criticising it. Just saying I don´t think it is that much more than what you should expect from 45m. I think Arsenal got good value on Tierney and Iwobi. It helps. Pepe I couldn´t say, but pretty sure that is what one can call "fair market price" considering they had to outbid others.

If Eriksen leaves Spurs´net spend could end up much in that same region as Arsenal´s (disregarding Saliba and Clarke who both went back).

If we look at established players that is Pepe, Tierney and Luiz with Iwobi out vs. N´Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon with Eriksen and Trippier out.

Neutrals would have to evaluate which is the better upgrade. I guess Spursfans would choose the Spurs window and Arsenalfans theirs.

Then time will show who will actually perform at the highest level in the PL. Statistically "unknowns" as Pepe, Tierney, N´Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon do not all live up to their "hype".

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I think the backline will at least be improved from last year (it would have been hard to get worse). Whether its a back four of Tierney - Sokratis/Luiz - Holding/Luiz - Bellerin or a back three with Sokratis - - Luiz - Holding and wingbacks. I think getting David Luiz makes our options a lot more versatile in that he could play that CB/DM hybrid playmaker role.

Regardless, we're still going to need to score plenty of goals this season, and we should be able to do that.

I blame Gazidis for the low expectations he's caused me to have.

This bald fraud ****er set us back 5-10 years

Only ever seen this used to describe one Pep Jackson.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Iwobi deal is for lack of a better term, exactly what happens when a team that consistently makes signings like Bolasie and Tosun gets super desperate again. Iwobi is okay, but that's it. I'm confused as to why they wouldn't just keep Lookman.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I´m not criticising it. Just saying I don´t think it is that much more than what you should expect from 45m. I think Arsenal got good value on Tierney and Iwobi. It helps. Pepe I couldn´t say, but pretty sure that is what one can call "fair market price" considering they had to outbid others.

If Eriksen leaves Spurs´net spend could end up much in that same region as Arsenal´s (disregarding Saliba and Clarke who both went back).

If we look at established players that is Pepe, Tierney and Luiz with Iwobi out vs. N´Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon with Eriksen and Trippier out.

Neutrals would have to evaluate which is the better upgrade. I guess Spursfans would choose the Spurs window and Arsenalfans theirs.

Then time will show who will actually perform at the highest level in the PL. Statistically "unknowns" as Pepe, Tierney, N´Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon do not all live up to their "hype".

If I had to do a snap comparison on their impact (tough given the varying positions):
Pepe = N'dombele
Tierney > Sessegnon
Luiz < Lo Celso

Pepe and N'Dombele should both be significant additions for each team, and both are adapting from Ligue 1 to the PL. Still unsure where Sessegnon will be deployed this season, but I think Tierney will have the better immediate impact. And in a vaccum Lo Celso is the superior player to Luiz, but I think there is an argument that Luiz could have a bigger net impact on Arsenal's backline than Lo Celso will for Spurs midfield in the upcoming season (i.e. Luiz may fill more of a need for Arsenal than Lo Celso does for Spurs).

Ultimately it seems pretty even as far as additions like you said.

Reactions: Havre

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
We tried to sign Dayot Upamecano, can't do much more when RB Leipzig are refusing to sell.

Koscielny + 3m for Luiz is good business for the short term. They're gonna make a big money CB signing next summer.

They were willing to sell if we would've matched his release clause. I know his release clause was high but I'd rather have a young stud at the back who has the potential to be elite instead of signing a winger like Pepe when we already have several solid options up front.

When you have to play Mustafi, Sokratis, Holding or Luiz as your main CB, you're not heading in the right direction IMO. Granted, getting DL for close to nothing is a plus but it sure as hell doesn't move the needle. We went from mediocre to below average.

With that said, I'm very pleased with the moves that were made because I didn't think we were going to do much but I still think we should've improved our backline first and foremost... and that didn't happen.

Here's to us trying to win games 4-3 I guess!

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Who was making a comparison with Spurs transfers?

Arsenal had to get a new CB, LB, Ramsey replacement and winger. They also had to clear out wages.

They did that in one window when I think many were either expecting it to never happen or to take several windows to address.

The Iwobi transfer out was a bonus if the whole 45 mil budget was true but they didn't have to sell him.

So now that the weaknesses have been addressed this window this will allow Arsenal to concentrate on getting a permanent Ramsey replacement and getting another high quality CB.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Who was making a comparison with Spurs transfers?

Arsenal had to get a new CB, LB, Ramsey replacement and winger. They also had to clear out wages.

They did that in one window when I think many were either expecting it to never happen or to take several windows to address.

The Iwobi transfer out was a bonus if the whole 45 mil budget was true but they didn't have to sell him.

So now that the weaknesses have been addressed this window this will allow Arsenal to concentrate on getting a permanent Ramsey replacement and getting another high quality CB.

Just an example (as I know Spurs better than any other club - it wasn´t to start another Arsenal vs. Spurs discussion). A window is only good (or bad) relative to what other teams are doing. Doesn´t matter much if Arsenal go from 5 to 7 if others are moving from 5 to 8.

You don´t have to convince me that the window was well executed. I already said I like the window, but I don´t think it is as good as one might get the impression of reading on here or listening to pundits. I guess it helps that expectations were low - so anything better than bad seems like a huge win.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
What a weird window for Everton. Pull off a deal for a top prospect that could potentially end up being a total bargain, make permanent a loan that made your team far better last year, loan in a fullback who had a tough go last season but has proven quality, and then spend 40 million f***ing pounds on Alex Iwobi. Unless Marco Silva plans to turn Iwobi into a top quality CB, I have no idea what his plan is here.

Reactions: les Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1