Transfer: 2019 Summer Transfers News, Rumors, and Discussion; Part 9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is Cancelo still going to City? Was that made official?

NVM I saw it.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Good luck to Iwobi in Everton. I think it’s a good level for him to prove himself as an important player.

Raul really swayed Arsenal fans this last month. The connections he has and negotiating level are such an upgrade over what we are used to. I apologize for doubting early this summer when it looked like typical inept Arsenal. There was definitely a plan and ambition and it’s not even so much the new players on their own that makes this feel like a bit of a revolution at the Emirates - it’s the way business was conducted more than anything that feels inspiring for Arsenal fans.

Now - it’s top 4 or bust. Let’s see if the new confidence and finishing ability extends from the negotiating table to the pitch where it counts. There’s no room for excuses now and it is vital to return to the CL after this season for many reasons.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Ajax willing to pay 30m euros for Antony as they see him as a natural David Neres' replacement. Raí already said São Paulo won't sell him for less than 50m euros that's his release clause. I hope he's telling the truth.

Ajax and Sao Paulo also dealing about David Neres. SP will sell their 20% off a future sale for 9m euros as the club needs money.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Watford apparently went all out for Bergwijn yesterday, but Bergwijn said no. Now Everton is making a final push for him, as well as Sevilla. I think Bergwijn should stay put and aim for a higher club when making the step abroad.
Only went after Bergwijn after it looked like Everton was about to buy Zaha and Palace were going to hijack our deal for Sarr. Sarr was the main target all along.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Only went after Bergwijn after it looked like Everton was about to buy Zaha and Palace were going to hijack our deal for Sarr. Sarr was the main target all along.
Sarr is a really exciting and talented young player. Great pickup for Watford.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Kayal leaving Brighton and heading to Charlton. Good more him personally, with Mooy coming in he effectively lost his spot. This one hits like Knockaert again in the sense that it suck to see the team out grow the players that got them to the Prem in the first place. All good though the team is looking nice for this year

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

Maybe my math is wrong but the numbers don't make sense. If they got 60M now Betis gets 48M and PSG 12(20%). With the loan Betis get 20M now, then 28M next year and PSG 7(20%). So Betis is still only getting 48M in either deal, PSG get 5M less and Spurs save 5M. Am I wrong?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Offense was also a weakness. There were no wingers last year and they addressed it.

The defence has been addressed with Luiz being a temporary fix while Saliba develops. Plus they have next window and next year to go after Upamecano.
If we're able to make the CL next season and develop some hype I would like to see one more quality CB, if that were to be Upamecano and a strong BxB midfielder. Someone like SMS (though he eventually goes to United), Tolisso, or Aouar. Personally, N'dombele would've easily been my target, but can't ever see him joining us from Spurs.

I like Iwobi a lot, but that's business and with the limited budget Raul had they're a much better team today then they were when last season ended.

Quantity for quality.

I blame Gazidis for the low expectations he's caused me to have.

This bald fraud ****er set us back 5-10 years
Gazidis with Wenger were washed up penny-pinchers. I don't know if you watched the AFTV video with DT, but he makes a great point that Gazidis/Wenger would never negotiate with certain agents. Don't get me wrong it is completely understandable since some of them belong in prison. But under some them we would've never negotiated with Pepe's agent for example, thus not be in the running for him and he would've went to either Liverpool or Spurs and strengthen a direct rival.

And for someone who built his team on young hidden gems like Wenger created The Invincibles with, he let so many of them go across Europe the last ten or so years, sign for mid-table clubs, and develop into 60 million pound players (which would be too expensive for us). They also disregarded the entire youth academy letting like 15 go on free transfers every year which included some very solid players such as Kane and Bennacer among others. I just don't understand what were going through their brains compared to what we witnessed with Raul. I doubt we'll spend 100+ million every window, but Arsenal legitimately wasted an entire summer window just to get a bloke or two on loan at the last week. Made no ****ing sense and I just can't believe us Gooners put up with it year after year.

I get it that AC Milan is currently in a rebuild they very much need, but their highest player was a 30 million Euro Portuguese forward. Hell, one of their signings is finally buying Kessie from his loan from Atalanta for 24 million Euros. Spending loads of money doesn't guarantee success, but you simply cannot be hyped or excited for Milan's window, they're pretty much a mid-table club at this point in time.

Can't wait to never wear my David Luiz kit ever again.
I will buy you a Gunners one anyway with its brilliant bright passionate mighty red, so you'd look smart for once.

If I had to do a snap comparison on their impact (tough given the varying positions):
Pepe = N'dombele
Tierney > Sessegnon
Luiz < Lo Celso

Pepe and N'Dombele should both be significant additions for each team, and both are adapting from Ligue 1 to the PL. Still unsure where Sessegnon will be deployed this season, but I think Tierney will have the better immediate impact. And in a vaccum Lo Celso is the superior player to Luiz, but I think there is an argument that Luiz could have a bigger net impact on Arsenal's backline than Lo Celso will for Spurs midfield in the upcoming season (i.e. Luiz may fill more of a need for Arsenal than Lo Celso does for Spurs).

Ultimately it seems pretty even as far as additions like you said.
I would say that's pretty accurate. Luiz definitely has lost a step or two compared to five years ago, but he should be an impactful player even with the brain dead moments I am fully expecting. Lo Celso on paper is the better player, but remember that he failed at PSG so it's not like they're getting a world class player or something. He's as big of a risk anyone could've bought in this entire window, he might be a Zaha type of player where he exceeds on mid-table clubs, but fails to impress at the top teams in Europe.

I apologize for doubting early this summer when it looked like typical inept Arsenal.
No need to apologise for anything, we've come to terms for Kim Kallstroms' for every window the past eight years.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I don't understand how if you loved the Ox transfer, how you hate the Iwobi one.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be a serious post, but in case it is, just look at what teams the two players were going to. One was taking a step up and the other was going to a worse team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I can't tell if this is supposed to be a serious post, but in case it is, just look at what teams the two players were going to. One was taking a step up and the other was going to a worse team.
That doesn't really explain their performances at Arsenal.

Iwobi pretty much matched or bettered each of Ox's seasons at Arsenal.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That doesn't really explain their performances at Arsenal.

Iwobi pretty much matched or bettered each of Ox's seasons at Arsenal.

I am a bit confused by this given how much Iwobi played last season in a forward role without scoring many goals. Oxlade-Chamberlain didn't score many goals at Arsenal either, but that was never his role. People were happy about the Ox transfer because he was obviously being played out of position and had the attributes Klopp would mold into a better player than they were before. Like Milner, for example.

Iwobi, on the other hand, he's going to a worse team with far worse players than Ox went to. Iwobi and Richarlison play the same position, so someone is going to be worse as a result of the move. In addition, Iwobi will no longer be passing to Auba and Lacazette, so he will have less assists. It is a really stupid move on Everton's part and great for Arsenal. Players that move down a level are rarely successful. He also cost more.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Liverpool finished 1 point ahead of Arsenal the year before he transferred. The year before that Liverpool finished 8th.

We are talking about a player who moved from Arsenal to Liverpool right after Liverpool beat Arsenal by four goals, yes?

We cannot pretend that regardless of what teams they are, that moving from a Europa League team to a Champions League team was not a step up. That Arsenal side in Wenger's last season was obviously due to drown over the course of that season. The two teams subsequently finished 12 and 27 points apart in the following two seasons. It was a large step up in the end.

Iwobi is moving from a good team to a mediocre one. The quality of his performances will suffer. It isn't rocket science here.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I am a bit confused by this given how much Iwobi played last season in a forward role without scoring many goals. Oxlade-Chamberlain didn't score many goals at Arsenal either, but that was never his role. People were happy about the Ox transfer because he was obviously being played out of position and had the attributes Klopp would mold into a better player than they were before. Like Milner, for example.

Iwobi, on the other hand, he's going to a worse team with far worse players than Ox went to. Iwobi and Richarlison play the same position, so someone is going to be worse as a result of the move. In addition, Iwobi will no longer be passing to Auba and Lacazette, so he will have less assists. It is a really stupid move on Everton's part and great for Arsenal. Players that move down a level are rarely successful. He also cost more.

Their roles were quite similar. Both were forced out to their wing when their strengths relied centrally. In the case of Ox, he played exceptionally well as a LWB/RWB his last season, but that wasn't after his years of shortcomings in production as a winger/CM. Iwobi is more a 10 who was forced out to the left because we had no other options there after Alexis snaked us.

Dude put his top performances against PSG, Liverpool, Chelsea. His consistency hasn't matched his peak, but neither did Ox's. I'm not sure why Iwobi is more criticized (even among Arsenal supporters).

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

1) Liverpool finished 1 point above Arsenal prior to buying Ox that summer. It was hardly a step up at the time.

2) I think the post was comparing them from an Arsenal perspective - as in how could you be happy with selling Ox but mad about selling Iwobi. I could be wrong, but you're arguing against the same point that was made.

Edit: I was wrong about #2 I guess.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
We are talking about a player who moved from Arsenal to Liverpool right after Liverpool beat Arsenal by four goals, yes?

We cannot pretend that regardless of what teams they are, that moving from a Europa League team to a Champions League team was not a step up. That Arsenal side in Wenger's last season was obviously due to drown over the course of that season. The two teams subsequently finished 12 and 27 points apart in the following two seasons. It was a large step up in the end.
Are we really doing the one game thing?

Using future results to determine what was happening in the present is foolish. The champion’s league argument is all well and good, but arsenal had finished out of CL for the first time in a long time and Liverpool had finished 8th(!!!) the year before. Arsenal hasn’t finished that low since I don’t know when.

Liverpool has had two good years and may well have another. Let’s not pretend like they were yet on another strata at that point. This bullshit from ‘Pool fans is why most of the board was cheering for Barcelona in the semis. Liverpool finally wins a trophy and their fans become even more insufferable.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Their roles were quite similar. Both were forced out to their wing when their strengths relied centrally. In the case of Ox, he played exceptionally well as a LWB/RWB his last season, but that wasn't after his years of shortcomings in production as a winger/CM. Iwobi is more a 10 who was forced out to the left because we had no other options there after Alexis snaked us.

He won't play #10 at Everton either. The transfer is nonsense for lack of a better word. In all likelihood he will play on the right side because that's where they're missing players.

2) I think the post was comparing them from an Arsenal perspective - as in how could you be happy with selling Ox but mad about selling Iwobi. I could be wrong, but you're arguing against the same point that was made.

Based on what he said in the following posts, I think it clearly wasn't comparing them from that perspective. If it was, I don't know how anyone could be mad. They got 35m for a player soon to be out of contract and sold a player they don't need for 40m to a mediocre team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Are we really doing the one game thing?

Using future results to determine what was happening in the present is foolish. The champion’s league argument is all well and good, but arsenal had finished out of CL for the first time in a long time and Liverpool had finished 8th(!!!) the year before. Arsenal hasn’t finished that low since I don’t know when.

Liverpool has had two good years and may well have another. Let’s not pretend like they were yet on another strata at that point. This bull**** from ‘Pool fans is why most of the board was cheering for Barcelona in the semis. Liverpool finally wins a trophy and their fans become even more insufferable.
Meh I think it was fair to say Liverpool were a step up. They were in the CL, despite the one point you mentioned. And they showed ambition.

Arsenal at the time were a broken squad

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad