2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Vancouver Canucks were reportedly only Canadian team not on his no trade list. Take that for what you will.

IIRC he had a 10 team no trade list? Hoffman's team would be one of those, so that leaves 9. Maybe 4 places in the US he REALLY didn't want to, and every other spot he dedicated to Canada. I'd imagine we escaped as the least worst, if it was an 11 team list...

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Doug Wilson is a complete moron if he lets Karlsson walk because he's too busy focusing on Joonas Donskoi and a 73 year old Joe Thornton.

I'd also imagine that they could pay someone to take on Dillon or Braun if it amounts to that.

I agree. For the sake of discussion, how much money do you think Pavelski, Karlsson and Meier will command this summer?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree. For the sake of discussion, how much money do you think Pavelski, Karlsson and Meier will command this summer?

You don’t prioritize Pavelski, who is 35. You sign guys for what they will do, not what they’ve done, and as good as his season is this year you don’t sacrifice a Karlsson to keep diminishing returns on Pavelski around.

Once you spend $11 million or whatever on Karlsson and $5-6 million on Hertl, you see what you have left and if you can move another contract to help get money freed up for Pavelski. If not, that’s life.

Reactions: timw33

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
You don’t prioritize Pavelski, who is 35. You sign guys for what they will do, not what they’ve done, and as good as his season is this year you don’t sacrifice a Karlsson to keep diminishing returns on Pavelski around.

Once you spend $11 million or whatever on Karlsson and $5-6 million on Hertl, you see what you have left and if you can move another contract to help get money freed up for Pavelski. If not, that’s life.

I agree with all of that. I still think that due to San Jose's cap problems they might have trouble matching if someone offers Karlsson something like $13M AAV.

They are clearly the favourites, no arguments there. I just don't think it's the forgone conclusion the way some people are treating it.

If Karlsson doesn't take a discount to stay there and signs for the $12.5M or so he'd easily get on the open market, that leaves $13M to sign another 8 guys. After paying Meier $7M of that you're looking at $6M for the final 7 players. Definitely not re-signing Labanc, Pavelski, or Donskoi with that cap space. Maybe Thornton if he wants to play for nothing.

Tldr: Yes San Jose should prioritize re-signing Karlsson over everyone else, but they will lose all their depth if they have to sign him at market value.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Just reading the who is scouting who page....I have not seen a lot of canuck scouts on those pages.. are our guys a sleep in Bennings office.

Jeff Paterson reported that the same Devils scout was at all 3 Canucks games in California.

According to Botchford, the Devils asked about Gudbranson a season or so ago, discussing Miles Wood going the other way.

I was browsing the web for Canucks scout sightings last month, finding reports of Vancouver watching the Flyers 6 or 7 times, if I rememeber correctly, in about a months period.

Canucks scouts were also watching Mike DiPietro and the Ottawa 67's vs the Kitchener Rangers last night. DiPietro made 28 saves in a 6-3 win.

These things usually amount to little to nothing, but still earns my curiosity.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Does a package of Hutton and Virtanen land a 1st round pick?

Disclaimer: I’m not sure if I would do this personally......just thinking out loud.

I’m wondering if there any teams out there that would be willing to give up a 1st for a packaged deal of Hutton and Virtanen and if it would be in our best interests?

While neither guy by himself would land a 1st, I think a packaged deal offer would draw some attention. Two good young players at low cost.
Obviously. Low-end 1st round picks aren’t hard to acquire when you’re offering two young improving players like that,

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I usually agree with you MS but I’d be pretty pissed if I was a fan of a contending team and we traded that much pick capital for those two. I probably like Hutton more than most here but I think Virtanen isn’t going to amount to much. I don’t think either adds enough for a playoff team going for it this year but if you are a future building team your pick will be too high to be worth it. I’d do a late pick for Hutton but I wouldn’t give much for Virtanen, maybe a second.

One of the guys who works for me who is one of those hilarious optimists was adamant Virtanen would score 30 this year. I laughed and said he won’t get 30 points. I was mostly joking but I may end up right on that one and he’s of course very wrong. He still thinks Juolevi will be a top pairing dman too. Ah, to be young again.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
As an example, Ryan Hartman (a comparable role/age/production player to Virtanen) was traded for a #1 pick AND a decent prospect at this time last year.

A Hutton-Virtanen package is probably worth 3 late #1 picks.
Exactly. Late 1sts don’t have as much value as people think. They hardly pan out so reading that for two proven young players is an EASY yes.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Exactly. Late 1sts don’t have as much value as people think. They hardly pan out so reading that for two proven young players is an EASY yes.

It’s weird how people seem to value all #1 picks so evenly.

A #5 overall pick is worth like four #25 overall picks. Picks 20-30 have about a 30% success rate and if you can trade a pick like that for a solid young NHLer that’s pretty much an automatic win.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

A #5 overall pick is worth like four #25 overall picks. Picks 20-30 have about a 30% success rate and if you can trade a pick like that for a solid young NHLer that’s pretty much an automatic win.
Agreed 110%. People hear “1st round pick” and lump all picks together and their value. For me I don’t care about the round, it’s the number. Late 1sts aren’t much of a big deal which is why contenders don’t mind trading them away for playoff help.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

Picks between 20-40 get you similar calibre prospects in most drafts.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes you should see some of the hilarity on the main trade boards with regards to 1st and 2nd round picks. If we were a contender i could add 6 rock solid players in 3 yrs with some of the knuckleheads overvalue of picks.

Statistically 10-15 really good impact players every year
45-50 300 game players which are basically top9 top5 GK1 types

More picks are always good and you need to throw some shots at the board to get a Edler Hansen Bieksa Hutton Connauton Gaudette but lets be honest about it.......20yrs and a 100 selections later we have 3 good NHLers a couple that are marginal and has potential to be good and 1 first line defenseman from the 3rd round on............6%

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes you should see some of the hilarity on the main trade boards with regards to 1st and 2nd round picks. If we were a contender i could add 6 rock solid players in 3 yrs with some of the knuckleheads overvalue of picks.

Statistically 10-15 really good impact players every year
45-50 300 game players which are basically top9 top5 GK1 types

More picks are always good and you need to throw some shots at the board to get a Edler Hansen Bieksa Hutton Connauton Gaudette but lets be honest about it.......20yrs and a 100 selections later we have 3 good NHLers a couple that are marginal and has potential to be good and 1 first line defenseman from the 3rd round on............6%

I don't understand the opinion that seeks to diminish depth picks while at the same time advocating for more shots on the board. NHL assets are finite. As a result, it's an all or nothing approach. Either you gun for picks as a primary function or you are wasting your window to accrue futures.

That can seem black and white, and many have tried to live in the nuance of a grey area, but logically it should be the way. There aren't enough resources available to be lukewarm with the process.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008

There was a rumour that Boston's 3 1st rounders were offered for 2OA for Jack Eichel and Buffalo said no.

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
31 Thoughts: Could a stealth suitor emerge for Matt Duchene? - Sportsnet.ca

Some notes from Friedman's 31 Thoughts:

"15. Don’t think Toronto’s stopped looking at right-handed defensive options. Doubt Kyle Dubas went to Vancouver/Anaheim last week for the Honda Centre’s famous pizza with fire-roasted vegetables."

If Dubas was in Vancouver checking in on the Tanev situation, I'd love to see his face when Benning said "we want to make Tanev a Canuck for life."

"16. Wayne Simmonds may have to wait until the Duchene/Stone/Panarin situations settle. A mix of similar teams looking at both: Boston, Calgary, San Jose, maybe Pittsburgh and Vegas. New Jersey GM Ray Shero was aggressive with Brian Boyle, and it sounds like he’s done the same with Marcus Johansson. I’ve heard Columbus, Edmonton, San Jose and Vancouver as teams who have checked in. Possibly Washington, too, since they know him. The Canucks are the odd fit, but they looked at Andre Burakovsky, too. So maybe they are thinking about something for the future or are trying to replace the injured Sven Baertschi."

Marcus Johansson is a decent player, but does he not have an extensive concussion history?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad