2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If Erik Karlsson makes it to free agency what's the most you'd be comfortable offering him?
7 years $12M per, something around that range. He is truly elite, I don't see him declining much the next 4-5 years. He also solve so many of our problems, like being a right shot D, PPQB, quick transition, and add to our team speed.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
7 years $12M per, something around that range. He is truly elite, I don't see him declining much the next 4-5 years. He also solve so many of our problems, like being a right shot D, PPQB, quick transition, and add to our team speed.

I still think that paying anyone over 10 million dollars AAV is risky. There’s no guarantee that the cap will keep going up, and the teams that won multiple cups in recent years had elite talent at cost controlled cap hits which allowed them to invest in depth (higher aav’s Shorter term contracts).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Does a package of Hutton and Virtanen land a 1st round pick?

Disclaimer: I’m not sure if I would do this personally......just thinking out loud.

I’m wondering if there any teams out there that would be willing to give up a 1st for a packaged deal of Hutton and Virtanen and if it would be in our best interests?

While neither guy by himself would land a 1st, I think a packaged deal offer would draw some attention. Two good young players at low cost.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still think that paying anyone over 10 million dollars AAV is risky. There’s no guarantee that the cap will keep going up, and the teams that won multiple cups in recent years had elite talent at cost controlled cap hits which allowed them to invest in depth (higher aav’s Shorter term contracts).

The cap has gone up for 14 straight years and there is no sign of any change.

It’s far better to overpay a bit for an actual elite player than follow the Jim Benning model and paying $25 million every year for bottom-roster players that could be easily replaced for $5 million.

Does a package of Hutton and Virtanen land a 1st round pick?

Disclaimer: I’m not sure if I would do this personally......just thinking out loud.

I’m wondering if there any teams out there that would be willing to give up a 1st for a packaged deal of Hutton and Virtanen and if it would be in our best interests?

While neither guy by himself would land a 1st, I think a packaged deal offer would draw some attention. Two good young players at low cost.

Hutton by himself is probably worth multiple #1 picks in the back half of the first round.

That’s a horrible idea unless we’re getting a very high pick back.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

If it took 7 years at $13M would you pass on him then?

UK Canuck

Dec 27, 2018
I never really object to slightly overpaying truly great players, its overpaying garbage that gets you in trouble, 7 years $12m for Karlsson might look steep on paper but he's one of the greatest defensemen of his generation in his prime

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
If it took 7 years at $13M would you pass on him then?
$13M is alittle high. I would probably still do it if thats what it takes to get EK here. However, we really need to unload multiple of the other overpaid players like Gudbranson, Eriksson and Beagle. We also need to stop signing crap UFA to bloated contracts. That would be the only way to give EK $13M per, pay Boeser and Petterson what they are worth, and not be in cap hell.
Sadly I don't think Benning can unload those 3 mentioned above, nor can he help himself on July 1st handing out long term big contracts to 4th liners and/or bad players.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It would probably take $18 million/year to sign Karlsson.

It sounds like he hated the Canadian media spotlight and wanted absolutely nothing to do with going to another Canadian team when Ottawa moved him.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

It sounds like he hated the Canadian media spotlight and wanted absolutely nothing to do with going to another Canadian team when Ottawa moved him.

Agreed. But if by chance it is a Canadian team he signs with my money is on Vancouver.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
San Jose is at worst the 2nd best place to play in the entire league.

He's probably gonna stay there.

Yeah, that’s what I’m expecting as well.

They’re a top team, it’s a great place to live and play, and they should be able to make the cap space to make it happen.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Vancouver Canucks were reportedly only Canadian team not on his no trade list. Take that for what you will.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

Tampa being #1? Reasoning? Ryan Callahan been there for 4 years and you don’t hear Boo about his 5+ million dollar salary.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Tampa being #1? Reasoning? Ryan Callahan been there for 4 years and you don’t hear Boo about his 5+ million dollar salary.

Tampa's probably 1, yes.

I'd rather live in California than Florida personally but Tampa is a better run team (even though both are very good franchises) and Florida has significantly lower taxes if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: mstad101

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Tampa's probably 1, yes.

I'd rather live in California than Florida personally but Tampa is a better run team (even though both are very good franchises) and Florida has significantly lower taxes if I'm not mistaken.
SIGNIFICANTLY is the way I’d put it! But Tbh, California really does get screwed tax wise! But even in California they have a media base that will attack a player or franchise when they suck. Tampa/Florida overall doesn’t seem to have that negative side to its media. Mostly what I was thinking. That and taxes.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site

I believe Florida has no state income tax.

As for Karlsson, if he does make it to July 1st I gotta imagine Benning and Co. will be going after him hard. And given the long history of Swedish stars in Vancouver, coupled with having another emerging Swedish star in the making in Pettersson, I wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson at least considered it. That said, Vancouver would definitely have to be offering the most lucrative contract to lure him here.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. They have a huge cap crunch coming up with him, Pavelski, Meier, Thornton, Labanc and Donskoi all needing new deals. If they sign him they'll probably have to say goodbye to at least Pavelski and maybe one or two other guys.

It'll be hard for San Jose to get much better anytime soon given their cap situation and utter lack of prospects.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. They have a huge cap crunch coming up with him, Pavelski, Meier, Thornton, Labanc and Donskoi all needing new deals. If they sign him they'll probably have to say goodbye to at least Pavelski and maybe one or two other guys.

It'll be hard for San Jose to get much better anytime soon given their cap situation and utter lack of prospects.

Doug Wilson is a complete moron if he lets Karlsson walk because he's too busy focusing on Joonas Donskoi and a 73 year old Joe Thornton.

I'd also imagine that they could pay someone to take on Dillon or Braun if it amounts to that.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I don’t think the Canucks have much of a shot at landing Karlsson.

Based on some of the Karlsson interviews I’ve seen, it really does seem like him and his wife don’t like change very much......and start to feel quite comfortable when they’ve acclimated to a certain place. Both Karlsson and his wife love the city of San Jose and so I think they’ll stay there for the foreseeable future.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Vancouver Canucks and Matt Duchene:

One name that hasn’t been mentioned much on hereis Matt Duchene. I think Duchene might be a good fit here for the following reasons:

1) AAV: While Duchene wouldnt come cheap, I think he can had for less than 9 million AAV.....which may not be the case for guys like Stone or Karlsson.

2) Duchene-Pettersson-Boeser is the type of line that could be anong the best in the NHL. If I understand correctly, Duchene, though a natural center, has extensive experience playing LW as well right?

3). Pettersson won’t have to “carry” Duchene. Duchene has beastly skills of his own. You put Duchene with Pettersson and we’re talking about an insanely skilled line.

4) If Duchene plays left wing, he’d fill a huge organizational need.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
I don’t think the Canucks have much of a shot at landing Karlsson.

Based on some of the Karlsson interviews I’ve seen, it really does seem like him and his wife don’t like change very much......and start to feel quite comfortable when they’ve acclimated to a certain place. Both Karlsson and his wife love the city of San Jose and so I think they’ll stay there for the foreseeable future.
I have been a huge Karlsson fan.Id throw him a bag of money to come to Vancouver.But if he is loving California..then that's where he will end up...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Karlsson is a pipe dream. I'll put it at 1% chance he'd sign here.

But if he were willing, 7x12 is an automatic. Even 7 x13 is doable. This is a HOFer defenseman. He should have had four Norris trophies by now. He's the defenseman we've never had. And I think he can maintain close to that level of performance for at least 3-4 years.

Reactions: CloutierForVezina

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Karlsson is a pipe dream. I'll put it at 1% chance he'd sign here.

But if he were willing, 7x12 is an automatic. Even 7 x13 is doable. This is a HOFer defenseman. He should have had four Norris trophies by now. He's the defenseman we've never had. And I think he can maintain close to that level of performance for at least 3-4 years.

Karlsson is the 2nd best offensive defender of all time next to Bobby Orr.

There was some worry about his foot injury but after the recent roll he’s been on it’s fair to say that’s sorted.

You give him pretty much whatever he wants but there’s no way he wants to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad