2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I believe Florida has no state income tax.

As for Karlsson, if he does make it to July 1st I gotta imagine Benning and Co. will be going after him hard. And given the long history of Swedish stars in Vancouver, coupled with having another emerging Swedish star in the making in Pettersson, I wouldn't be surprised if Karlsson at least considered it. That said, Vancouver would definitely have to be offering the most lucrative contract to lure him here.
Karlsson said in after hours that he's looking forward to playing with Pettersson

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Now, I think it's unfair to cherry pick. Just take the 3 highest ranked players on the board: Barzal, Connor and Chabot

And anyone should be making that trade everyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

However, in reality it wouldn't happen especially with Eichel being so highly regarded in his draft year.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I don't understand the opinion that seeks to diminish depth picks while at the same time advocating for more shots on the board. NHL assets are finite. As a result, it's an all or nothing approach. Either you gun for picks as a primary function or you are wasting your window to accrue futures.

That can seem black and white, and many have tried to live in the nuance of a grey area, but logically it should be the way. There aren't enough resources available to be lukewarm with the process.
Was just talking about odds and value.

Absolutely the directive should have been aquire as many picks a s possible for 5 -7 yrs until they have 10-12 studs on the roster and can start fine tuning. UFA's are 27 and older and even if you ignore the fact they would be to old to help when you turn the corner they usually dont sign into rebuild situations and if they do they dont typically want to be traded and want protection. This lack of core piece seeking has been my biggest issue and sometimes multiple picks allows you to trade down and get your guy or a player at the right age like Dougie Hamilton that suits your situation???

Not to derail this thread but since Benning took over the best case potential on his picks and trades could have been

Kesler - Shea Theodore......should have pushed for all futures and gotten a UFA C
Vey - Braeden Point (Roland McKeown)
Baertschi - Vince Dunn (Rasmus Andersson)
Miller - Roope Hintz (AJ Greer).....i firmly believe we could have gotten the 39th from SJ at the time
Dorsett - Caleb Jones (Devin Seideroff)
Gudbranson - Alex DeBrincat (Rasmus Asplund) & Jared McCann
Hamhuis - Dylan Dube (Tyler Parsons)
Pedan - Jesper Bratt (????) ....Lockwood spot so who knows
Gudbranson - Victor Mete (Jonathon Ang)
Burrows - Drake Batherson (Alex Formenton).....if we got their 2nd
Hansen - Max Gildon (Mario Ferraro)....if we got their 2nd

On ODDS as i outlined we probably nab one of the above and still have McCann. Is that better than Dahlen Goldobin Baertschi idk. obviously Point or DeBrincat would have changed things somewhat...Point a lot yes......i see the frustrations but the actual picks are a 3rd pair defenseman and a probable 3rd line winger

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Was just talking about odds and value.

Absolutely the directive should have been aquire as many picks a s possible for 5 -7 yrs until they have 10-12 studs on the roster and can start fine tuning. UFA's are 27 and older and even if you ignore the fact they would be to old to help when you turn the corner they usually dont sign into rebuild situations and if they do they dont typically want to be traded and want protection. This lack of core piece seeking has been my biggest issue and sometimes multiple picks allows you to trade down and get your guy or a player at the right age like Dougie Hamilton that suits your situation???

Not to derail this thread but since Benning took over the best case potential on his picks and trades could have been

Kesler - Shea Theodore......should have pushed for all futures and gotten a UFA C
Vey - Braeden Point (Roland McKeown)
Baertschi - Vince Dunn (Rasmus Andersson)
Miller - Roope Hintz (AJ Greer).....i firmly believe we could have gotten the 39th from SJ at the time
Dorsett - Caleb Jones (Devin Seideroff)
Gudbranson - Alex DeBrincat (Rasmus Asplund) & Jared McCann
Hamhuis - Dylan Dube (Tyler Parsons)
Pedan - Jesper Bratt (????) ....Lockwood spot so who knows
Gudbranson - Victor Mete (Jonathon Ang)
Burrows - Drake Batherson (Alex Formenton).....if we got their 2nd
Hansen - Max Gildon (Mario Ferraro)....if we got their 2nd

On ODDS as i outlined we probably nab one of the above and still have McCann. Is that better than Dahlen Goldobin Baertschi idk. obviously Point or DeBrincat would have changed things somewhat...Point a lot yes......i see the frustrations but the actual picks are a 3rd pair defenseman and a probable 3rd line winger

Accruing picks is about having the best potential to acquire a Point/Debrincat level player at the lowest possible cost. If a GM games the system to try and get a Point/Debrincat, fails, but somehow ends up with an NHL level 3rd liner/3rd pair dman, that is still a major win. That depth player is very young and is cost controlled for his ELC + RFA years. This reduces the impact on the cap and provides prime year play for the duration. There is no better substitute.

To your specific question: I take McCann + one option above rather than Dahlen, Goldobin and Baertschi.

Age gap vs. draft pick accrual is an easy choice. Rationally, the former should only be used sparingly when complementing the latter. The latter, however, should be the bedrock for any rebuilding team.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Karlsson said in after hours that he's looking forward to playing with Pettersson

If we had a good GM capable of negotiating who could do more than accumulate high picks we might have had a shot. It’s too bad.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Anyone else think that NYI could be an underrated destination for Gudbranson? Trotz might want an Orpik-like defenseman, and even Lou could probably warm up to Guddy's beard.

Would *love* a Gudbranson for Ho-Sang swap.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Anyone else think that NYI could be an underrated destination for Gudbranson? Trotz might want an Orpik-like defenseman, and even Lou could probably warm up to Guddy's beard.

Why Hosang ?

He's a bad pro with an entitled selfish attitude. He isn't talented enough to take on the risk of him destroying the locker room not to mention has no idea what to do when he doesn't have the puck.

Strong pass.

Would love Otto Koivula tho. Strong 1st pro season in North America.

6'5 big frame.

Pipe dream

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016

I guess I would say they're underrated because I give them a zero percent chance of being interested in him.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I can’t imagine many (if any) teams wanting guddy... it would have to be for an equally bad D. Toughness or not. The dream of a decent pick is long out the window.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In all seriousness though, Matt Duchene is probably the guy I’d target for the following reasons:

1) His AAV would likely be less than 9 million.
2) He would fill a huge hole up front. You could either play him with Horvat, or form a super line with Duchene-Pettersson-Boeser.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I can’t imagine many (if any) teams wanting guddy... it would have to be for an equally bad D. Toughness or not. The dream of a decent pick is long out the window.
Dorion the dumbass might want a hometown boy in Gudbranson to "mentor' that young team.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
DSP on waivers and on an expiring contract.

Would love to claim him and put granny or schaller on waivers.

Bringing another cup winner would be big in the room and if by chance we make it in the playoffs then he's definitely a guy you want to go to battle with

member 290103

In all seriousness though, Matt Duchene is probably the guy I’d target for the following reasons:

1) His AAV would likely be less than 9 million.
2) He would fill a huge hole up front. You could either play him with Horvat, or form a super line with Duchene-Pettersson-Boeser.

f*** no. Guy is a complimentary player and will never be worth 9m.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
If we get Kakko or Hughes in this draft do we have to go all in on free agency ?

Boeser Petterrson Stone
Hughes Horvat Bae
Virtanen gaudette Roussel
Erickson Beagle Motte
Lockwood

Karlsson Hutton
Hughes Edler/Stralman
Stetcher Woo

Markstrom
Demko
Leighton
Manzanek
McKenna
Dipetero
Kublakov
Lack
Schneider
Luongo
Hirsch
College emergency PTO one day contract
neddam ot sehguh

Gudbranson, Sutter, Granlund, Pouilot gone just gone baby

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
If we claim Smith-Pelley we'll have 2/3 of Washington's 4th line from last year.

I could see it happening to, they're high on the waiver order and he does seem like Jimbo/Green type player.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Is there any chance that SJS don’t bring back Pavelski? Meier gonna get paid and they have to resign Karlsson and Thornton and Donskoi.

I’d sign him to a $21m/3 year deal. Help the PP1 and play him primarily on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->