2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
I've had the concept of a Goldobin for Puljujarvi trade in my mind for a while, with us adding. Adding a 2nd would probably be close to fair value considering it would be a high one. Take back Spooner's contract and I think it looks pretty good:

Goldobin + 2nd 2020 for Puljujarvi + Spooner

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Eventually want to see Spooner, Schaller and Schenn sent down. Guds, Pouliot, Sutter and Granlund moved for whatever, ideally picks.

This clears the dead wood, and all can be replaced by Mac, Biega, Gaudette, and Hughes when signed (plus Virtanen, Baertschi, Edler and Tanev back from injury).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Good god i want nothing to do with Puljujarvi for what they will want.

Sure if they want Granlund Eriksson Sutter Gudbranson

If the guy cant look half decent with the Oilers centres he's a write off as a top6 and they're just trying to salvage value. STAY AWAY.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Good god i want nothing to do with Puljujarvi for what they will want.

Sure if they want Granlund Eriksson Sutter Gudbranson

If the guy cant look half decent with the Oilers centres he's a write off as a top6 and they're just trying to salvage value. STAY AWAY.
Coilers going for the reverse Griffin Reinhart here. It’s pretty obvious but so terribly done!

Reactions: sting101

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Coilers going for the reverse Griffin Reinhart here. It’s pretty obvious but so terribly done!
Pulju is headed down the Nichushkin road imho, lots of physical talent not adapting or translating to the next level. He needs to start hitting reverse fast.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Pulju is headed down the Nichushkin road imho, lots of physical talent not adapting or translating to the next level. He needs to start hitting reverse fast.
Prime example of tools no tool box player! He has all the physical tools, decent skater, can absolutely rip it with time and space. All these things are also classic cases of big ice superstar, small ice grinder. Perfect coach to get him there, but some reason doesn’t buy into Hitch’s system. You’d think a simple chip chase crash and bang style of play would benefit his physical gifts! Too bad he has even less than Jakey boy between the ears.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It’s easy to forget how young Puljujarvi is still. He’s the same age as Lind/Juolevi/Gadjovich and would be a front-line star at the AHL level at age 20.

But the fact he’s been mishandled by Edmonton for so long makes him seem older than he is.

He still projects pretty safely as a 15-15-30 middle-6 two-way winger with size and skating ability, much like Virtanen.

If you could get him for a 2nd round pick or something, you do that in a heartbeat. But at the price Edmonton is likely asking for (top-4 defender, top-6 winger) probably not.

That said, you wonder how much Edmonton would value Brandon Sutter.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Looking at the potential UFA list and even though it’s unlikely he comes here Simmonds seems like the ideal 30 year old with enough grit/intangibles/culture carrying/make others accountable/close enough to lucic Benning protege that he can’t resist throwing a stupid contract at

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looking at the potential UFA list and even though it’s unlikely he comes here Simmonds seems like the ideal 30 year old with enough grit/intangibles/culture carrying/make others accountable/close enough to lucic Benning protege that he can’t resist throwing a stupid contract at

Wayne Simmonds is this year’s James Neal.

A 31 y/o with multiple years of declining play and a broken motor who is a defensive liability ... but he used to score 30 goals and still scores 20 due to PP usage and has a reputation as a power forward!

And yeah, I have zero doubt that Benning learned nothing from the Loui Eriksson disaster and will be one of the dumb GMs offering huge money and term for Simmonds. Only question is whether another GM will be even dumber.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

A 31 y/o with multiple years of declining play and a broken motor who is a defensive liability ... but he used to score 30 goals and still scores 20 due to PP usage and has a reputation as a power forward!

And yeah, I have zero doubt that Benning learned nothing from the Loui Eriksson disaster and will be one of the dumb GMs offering huge money and term for Simmonds. Only question is whether another GM will be even dumber.

"Why would I get paid assets to take on other teams bad contracts with our cap space when I could just sign free agents?"

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Hockey trade is coming...

One of our forwards will be traded for a youngish Dman who hasn't lived up to hype.

Maybe Goldobin for Madison Bowey kinda deal

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

I doubt that Benning will go after Simmonds, given that we’re relatively deep on right wing. I do think Benning will target your good buddy Ferland though. ;)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I doubt that Benning will go after Simmonds, given that we’re relatively deep on right wing. I do think Benning will target your good buddy Ferland though. ;)

With Baertschi’s career looking likely over, Boeser is the only legit top-6 player we have in place for next season on either wing.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
With Baertschi’s career looking likely over, Boeser is the only legit top-6 player we have in place for next season on either wing.

True, but our right side will still be set:

Boeser
Leivo
Virtanen

It’s our left side that will need some serious rebuilding (which is what Baertschi is/was). Simmonds is a RW’er is he not? That’s why I think it’s far more likely that Benning will go after Ferland. Ferland plays the left side and also fits the target age range better than Simmonds.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
True, but our right side will still be set:

Boeser
Leivo
Virtanen

It’s our left side that will need some serious rebuilding (which is what Baertschi is/was). Simmonds is a RW’er is he not? That’s why I think it’s far more likely that Benning will go after Ferland. Ferland plays the left side and also fits the target age range better than Simmonds.

Leivo plays both wings and is not a top-6 guy.

They’ll probably go after both as, again, basically 3 of the 4 top-6 wing spots are open.

Also Boeser plays LW on the PP.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
I could be mistaken but I think Simmonds has experience playing both wings... natural RW though, yes

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Hockey trade is coming...

One of our forwards will be traded for a youngish Dman who hasn't lived up to hype.

Maybe Goldobin for Madison Bowey kinda deal

I was pretty hyped on the suggestion of Bowey a couple weeks back but looked into his numbers a bit further and, uh, yikes. Definitely got too anchored by the player he seemed to be 4 years ago.

So he'll almost certainly be a Canuck soon.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Leivo plays both wings and is not a top-6 guy.

They’ll probably go after both as, again, basically 3 of the 4 top-6 wing spots are open.

Also Boeser plays LW on the PP.

I think Leivo is passable playing with Boeser and Pettersson. They benefit from having a guy who will do the dirty work while not being a black hole offensively. He'll probably never produce like a top 6 guy but I'm fine seeing him there to start next season.

It's Horvat who really needs new wingers. Two please.

Reactions: Bettman Returnz

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
If Erik Karlsson makes it to free agency what's the most you'd be comfortable offering him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad