2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I've tried to put together an off-season in which the Canucks don't get Karlsson, Stone, Panarin, Bobrovky, or anyone else deserving of over $7M in free agency. I also don't think (NYI Captain) Anders Lee makes it

A couple names I would be interested in are Silferberg and Dzingle. The biggest hole up front IMO is on the wing, and we should either add a LW with Pettersson /Boeser or RW with Horvat /Baertschi. I'd give Silferberg $5m and Dzingle $4m. If they don't take it, then I'm ok with dumpster diving and being average again.

I think Virtanen (on this team at least) is what you see is what you get. he's on the 4th line now with Eriksson and Beagle. I'd walk away from Goldy, Granlund, and maybe even Motte if someone offers you something for him this TDL. Baertschi I'm worried about health wise but he's impressed me a lot this year when he's played.

Roussel Horvat Silferberg
Dzingle Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Gaudette MacEwan
Eriksson Beagle Virtanen

Seems like Dahlen has been trending towards 13th winger territory this year. I could see him up by December.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I haven’t minded Leivo playing on Boeser and Pettersson line. But do agree we need at least one top 6 winger. Wouldn’t say no to an upgrade that makes sense. A RW for Horvat could be an option for sure. Baertschi’s injuries make you wonder too.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
I haven’t minded Leivo playing on Boeser and Pettersson line. But do agree we need at least one top 6 winger. Wouldn’t say no to an upgrade that makes sense. A RW for Horvat could be an option for sure. Baertschi’s injuries make you wonder too.

Was listening to Stat and Auld on the radio one day and they were discussing why Roussel was on Horvat's wing. They came to a pretty logical conclusion: Roussel is at worst the 4th best winger on this team. Boeser, then probably Roussel, but you could make an argument for Leivo or Virtanen as your top 4 wingers.

I originally thought Roussel should be the 4th or 5th best winger on the team, someone who could come up the lineup to provide a little bit more something. But after watching him lately I almost wonder if there is untapped offence in him. The sort of lazy comparison is to compare him to Burrows, but he's a way better passer than Burrows ever was. I would say he thinks the game more like a scoring winger than Burrows did, and I actually wouldn't mind if he's a permanent linemate for Horvat.

Unfortunately I don't think we can rely on Baertschi to be healthy for 2019/20, at least we shouldn't plan on it. He strikes me as someone who would do well with Gaudette actually.

To summarize, I change my mind, and our biggest need at forward is actually RW with Roussel and Horvat. They could go a number of ways with that. Either upgrade on Virtanen, get another shooter like Boeser, or go speed. Mats Zuccarello or Eberle on 3 year deals would be interesting. Alternatively you can get a LW for Pettersson which would force Leivo and MacEwan to swap 2nd/3rd lines. My LW other than the afformentioned Dzingle would actually be Erik Staal. I think he'd be really great playing with Boeser and Pettersson, and filling in at Center in the event of an injury. He's 35+ so I'd offer him a Marleau type deal, or even more money for a 2 year deal.

E.Staal Pettersson Boeser
Roussel Horvat MacEwan
Baertschi/Leivo Gaudette Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Motte

Sutter, Granlund, Goldobin removed from the roster.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
It is pretty painfully obvious how Stone should be our priority #1 this off-season. Bo cannot do both and by both I mean be an offensive threat and defensive C at the same time. He also wants to cycle and we do not have that type, other than Roussel, on our team. Stone is good at all the above and just seems like an obvious match for Horvat.

Our D is obvious but I feel with the dumping of Poo and Guddy and replacement with average players that would be a massive upgrade.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Stone definetly

I use to say nothing over 7 for stone but I’ve changed gears on that thought process, we need upgrades on Baertschi and Goldobin.

Bae because he can’t stay healthy and Goldobin because he is saving all his goals for the KHL

Stone and Lee please

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
When healthy we needed an upgrade in Baerstchi anyways. Really overrated here. He'll pot the odd goal but is useless most of the time... I'd much rather have that second round pick back and have right shot Rasmus Andersson playing 16-22 minutes a night on the blue line for us instead of the flames.

Hockeyphysio

Jul 2, 2018
We need a lot of things. Probably 2 top 6 wingers at least one top 4 d and to get rid of all dead weight somehow. I would really like a GM who would be good at that sort of thing

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Aside from Eriksson's contract I'm happy if they go in to next season with the following bottom two lines and the three "core" yutes in the top 6:

XXX Pettersson Boeser
XXX Horvat XXX
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Motte

Leivo is solid, and will be a middle six guy on the roster.
Of all the prospects, barring something pretty shocking, it looks like only MacEwen has a chance to make the 19/20 opening day roster. I would have him on the roster next season because it really looks like the main thing he has to work on is getting use to the NHL pace. And he can't do that in the AHL.

This leaves the following to fill out the roster for the remaining 2-3 slots at forward: Sutter, Granlund, Goldobin, Baertschi, Schaller and any UFAs/trades

I would really like to see both Sutter and Granlund dealt at the deadline. Baertschi is a big question mark from a health perspective and, though useful, he is not a difference maker in the top 6. I don't think he'll be back. Schaller should be traded or waived. He doesn't seem to be a fit with Green. That leaves the enigma Goldobin. But maybe he isn't an enigma. Maybe he is just showing what he is - a skilled guy that struggles to find the right way to play at the NHL level. I don't think he will be back.

So, the roster should be:
XXX Pettersson Boeser
Leivo Horvat XXX
Roussel Gaudette Virtanen
Eriksson Beagle Motte
MacEwen

Target two top 6 UFAs. If they're able to do that, it will be a pretty competitive roster.

Next week, the defense...

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
After last night, I'm quite encouraged about our center depth for the first time in the near 20 years I've been following this team. I've only seen Gaudette from training camps and a couple of his early NHL games. Last night was the first time I've been impressed with him. Really the first I've seen of that fire and ability that he's been hyped with for so long. I'm excited about a Pettersson - Horvat - Gaudette - Beagle core for the foreseeable future.

I wonder what is up with the conditioning of our players? Horvat looks like chewed bubble gum and there's questions surrounding Brock. A huge rash of injuries. The Gillis Administration obsessed on our travel schedule and how due to our geographic location, we have nearly double the travel miles over a year than the eastern teams. I wonder what your thoughts are about this?

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I don't think either of Sutter or Gudbranson can be traded without taking salary back.

Sutter probably won't get dealt until after July 1st (IIRC his NTC opens up then).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I don't think either of Sutter or Gudbranson can be traded without taking salary back.

Sutter probably won't get dealt until after July 1st (IIRC his NTC opens up then).

2020 1st + Gudbranson (zero retention) + Sutter (zero retention) would probably get Ottawa's attention.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I wonder what is up with the conditioning of our players? Horvat looks like chewed bubble gum and there's questions surrounding Brock. A huge rash of injuries. The Gillis Administration obsessed on our travel schedule and how due to our geographic location, we have nearly double the travel miles over a year than the eastern teams. I wonder what your thoughts are about this?

When both Sutter and Beagle were out of the lineup Horvat was taking the majority of the team's faceoffs and at times playing huge numbers of minutes. I hope he gets his pep back this season but wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't come back until he's had a summer to recover. I thilnk it is similar to overtraining in that normally a person will recover in 2-3 weeks but in some instances, especially where the overwork was severe, it takes longer.

I can't add anything useful to what you've mentioned about Boeser, injuries and the travel schedule.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
if Canucks manage to sign Karlsson, eliminate Gudbranson, Pouliot then Canucks defenceman will be a lot more offensive next year.

Edler-Karlsson
Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher

That will be a fun defence to watch. Long term scenario after Edler's extension is up (assuming 3 years)

Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Karlsson
Tryamkin-Stecher

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Botch suggesting on the Patcast that Wayne Simmonds is 'generating buzz' as it pertains to potential UFAs of interest for the Canucks. Please no.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Honestly,

I’d be more inclined to go after Pietrangelo in the following year as opposed to Karlsson this year.

Karlsson will cost 10 million plus, while a guy like Pietrangelo will likely cost less than 9.

Use the 2020 1st as a sweetener for teams to take on Sutter and Gudbranson combined with zero retention. I think Ottawa would possibly accept that.

Use that freed up money to reup Boeser while saving money for our other future RFA’s (Hughes and Pettersson).

One year from now after July 1st 2020, bury Eriksson in the minors. Eriksson would likely retire at that point since he will have 31 of his 36 million owed.

As far as Edler goes, I’m now seriously wondering if we’re better off not signing him. I was originally a fan of the idea, but he’s just too injury prone. Furthermore, guys like Hutton and Stecher have proven that they’re ready for tougher assignments.

Perhaps the Canucks can use that Edler money on one of the other UFA’s this summer.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Botch suggesting on the Patcast that Wayne Simmonds is 'generating buzz' as it pertains to potential UFAs of interest for the Canucks. Please no.

Makes sense based upon the earlier Stone and Ferland rumours. They want a top6 forward with size.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Juolevi for Puljujarvi

Leivo - Pettersson - Puljujarvi
Goldobin - Horvat - Boeser
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Eriksson - Beagle - Motte

Sutter
Baertschi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad