2019 Roster and Fantasy GM Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Liked Bunting a lot in junior. Not sure how his NHL wheels are....probably an upgrade on Schaller though and 5 years younger...i would do it just to add depth as we go to the deadline so we can move on from a few players.

Schaller would easily clear at this point with another year on his deal and that helps Utica with Gaudette and MacEwen getting shots.

jester00

Jun 9, 2011
Western Canada
Liked Bunting a lot in junior. Not sure how his NHL wheels are....probably an upgrade on Schaller though and 5 years younger...i would do it just to add depth as we go to the deadline so we can move on from a few players.

Schaller would easily clear at this point with another year on his deal and that helps Utica with Gaudette and MacEwen getting shots.

This 100 times over. Even in the very short term if it meant sending MacEwen down until the deadline, I'd be for it. Move a couple bodies at the deadline (hopefully), then bring guys back up as needed.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Would anyone here do a trade like this:

Mike smith and Calgary first round pick
For
Jacob Markstrom

There are a few goalies that are ufa that might be a better fit as a 1a/1B with demko and you would get a premium asset?

Would we do it? Would Calgary?

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon

For
Jacob Markstrom

There are a few goalies that are ufa that might be a better fit as a 1a/1B with demko and you would get a premium asset?

I'd do that in a heartbeat. Markstrom is good no doubt but I believe within a year or two Demko will be just as good. I take that chance.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

For
Jacob Markstrom

I think I would. Steep price maybe for Calgary, though they would be banking on the hope that the pick would be at or near the end of the first round.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

For
Jacob Markstrom

of course Calgary would do that. Markstrom is currently a top10 -15 starter if not better

Would you trade Goldobin and a bad contract for a really good starting goalie if you needed it. And of course you wont know its even Goldobin until 3-4yrs from now.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
My thinking would be based on his performance this year markstrom would be the best goalie available (bobs there but his play and cap hit aren’t what Calgary wants)

They move smith for an upgrade, increase their cap space for another forward or dman and forward and are a much better team.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Would leave us very thin for goalies though, and very dependent on Demko being healthy.

I thought it would be understood we would be getting another goalie somewhere else if smith isn’t able to go but....as the past 5 weeks have shown this management team might struggle to consider things like that.

Reactions: ziploc

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Markstrom is progressing Demko is repeatedly injured. Do not mess with goalie spot when it is working. Markstrom might be 4th best player on team and second most important one.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
hypothetically, if they are trading markstrom, I think the summer is a better time to do it.

can't see a team offering any more then you'd get in the summer anyways.

realistically markstrom is working right now and if you can keep his caphit lower then he is useful to us.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
hypothetically, if they are trading markstrom, I think the summer is a better time to do it.

can't see a team offering any more then you'd get in the summer anyways.

realistically markstrom is working right now and if you can keep his caphit lower then he is useful to us.
Realistically our goaltending is the far and away the least of our worries.
We need to start selling off some of our stale forwards and our gross defense.
Picks and prospects would be nice.

Reactions: NoShowWilly

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Realistically our goaltending is the far and away the least of our worries.
We need to start selling off some of our stale forwards and our gross defense.
Picks and prospects would be nice.
For sure. But Markstrom is one piece that could actually have some value to other teams, especially Calgary right now. We have very few other players in that position. Literally any draft pick for any of Gudbranson, Pouliot, Gagner, Eriksson, Schaller or Granlund would be acceptable. Markstrom, on the other hand, should garner a first were he moved at the deadline, one would think.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
For sure. But Markstrom is one piece that could actually have some value to other teams, especially Calgary right now. We have very few other players in that position. Literally any draft pick for any of Gudbranson, Pouliot, Gagner, Eriksson, Schaller or Granlund would be acceptable. Markstrom, on the other hand, should garner a first were he moved at the deadline, one would think.
Yes I can agree with what your saying.
But I'm sure Jimbo is thinking otherwise.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Yes I can agree with what your saying.
But I'm sure Jimbo is thinking otherwise.
I suspect you are right.

We are plummeting in the standings, and will continue to free fall without Tanev and Edler (and Sutter, Virtanen, Demko, etc...) Seems like a good time to maximise whatever value we can grab out of Markstrom if we really believe Thatcher is the future.

But yeah, will probably ride Marky until he breaks, then resign him.

Reactions: BROCK HUGHES

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Markstrom is progressing Demko is repeatedly injured. Do not mess with goalie spot when it is working. Markstrom might be 4th best player on team and second most important one.

This x 1000.

Better to see how things play out rather than trading Markstrom right away. If Markstrom keeps playing like the way he is, I actually wouldn’t mind extending him when he becomes a UFA. Demko has promise, but is still a question mark given his injury history.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
These are some of my ideas on how we should proceed in the summer. I don't think anything significant will happen this trade deadline with Edler's injury, so we're skipping ahead. The first trade would happen at or before the draft, the second trade could happen at any time and the third and fourth trades would happen when teams are re-signing their players.

Trade 1:
To COL: Sutter
To VAN: 2nd 2019 + 3rd 2019

Trade 2:
To FLA: Gudbranson + Gadjovich
To VAN: Heponiemi

Trade 3:
To TOR: Granlund + 2nd 2020
To VAN: Kapanen

Trade 4:
To WPG: Motte + 4th 2020
To VAN: Kulikov + 2nd 2020

The first trade is pretty simple; the Canucks offload a redundant but effective player and Avalanche improve their center depth behind MacKinnon. The second trade is based off the rumours that Florida wants to add some toughness and the lack of immediate space for another winger. The third trade is based on Toronto's impending cap crunch and offloading someone who's stuck on the 3rd line for a cheap replacement instead of just losing him to an offersheet. The 4th trade is us helping Winnipeg out with their cap struggles and upgrading our pick as a result.

RFA:
Boeser: 6 years, 7.25 million per
Hutton: 2 years, 3.25 million per
Kapanen: 2 years, 3.15 million per
Goldobin: 2 years, 2.215 million per
Leivo: 1 year, 1.65 million
Demko: 2 years, 1.215 million per
Hughes: ELC (if he hasn't already)
Heponiemi: ELC
Lockwood: ELC

UFA:
Karlsson: 7 years, 11 million per
Edler: 3 years, 6 million per

The biggest splash here is obviously Karlsson. I don't like big contracts, but he would obviously be an exception. Adding him, Hughes and losing Gudbranson makes our defense infinitely more dynamic. There's no guarantee that he's willing to sign here, but this is just a scenario. Everything else is pretty much as expected.

2019-20:

Baertschi - Horvat - Kapanen
Goldobin - Pettersson - Boeser
Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen
Eriksson - Beagle - Leivo
MacEwan

Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Tanev
Hutton - Stetcher
Kulikov, Biega

Markstrom
Demko

If the cap goes up around 3 million, this leaves us with almost 2 million in cap space. If the cap doesn't go up that much, then eliminate the Winnipeg trade.

Our biggest weakness, the blue line, is effectively turned over and upgraded in every sense. Edler - Karlsson makes a dynamic top pairing, Hughes get's a safe partner in Tanev to experiment in the NHL and Hutton - Stetcher are solid middle pairing defenders. We also give Horvat some more capable and permanent wingers, which should improve his game. We would have Juolevi, Heponiemi, Dahlen, Lind, Brisebois, McEneny and Sautner as young depth who could get stretches of games in the NHL.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Roster after TDL. We trade away Goldobin, Sutter, Eriksson, and Gudbranson (plus some other assets) for Zucarello and Stone.

Zucarello- Pettersson- Boeser
Roussel-Horvat- Stone
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce-Beagle-MacEwen

Edler - Stecher
Hughes- Tanev
Hutton- Biega

Markstrom
Demko

This makes the playoffs. After July 1st swap Biega with Karlsson and Zucarello with Panarin. This contends for the cup for many years.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Roster after TDL. We trade away Goldobin, Sutter, Eriksson, and Gudbranson (plus some other assets) for Zucarello and Stone.

Zucarello- Pettersson- Boeser
Roussel-Horvat- Stone
Leivo-Gaudette-Virtanen
Gaunce-Beagle-MacEwen

Edler - Stecher
Hughes- Tanev
Hutton- Biega

Markstrom
Demko

This makes the playoffs. After July 1st swap Biega with Karlsson and Zucarello with Panarin. This contends for the cup for many years.

What are these 'other assets' that need to be included with that trash (save for Goldobin) going back?

If the Canucks aren't trading 1st and 2nd round picks, what kind of prospects would they need to send the other way?

Hughes? Juolevi? Dahlen? Gaudette?

And for rentals? Why are the Canucks buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad