GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Looks like some more leverage for the McAvoy camp.

Coyotes Sign Keller To Eight-Year Contract Extension

The Arizona Coyotes re-signed forward Clayton Keller to an eight-year contract extension. Reports indicate the deal is worth $57.2 million, with an annual average value of $7.15 million.

Who would you rather have McAvoy or Keller? Too me its an easy choice. McAvoy hands down

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Wouldn't mind that kind of deal for Charlie McAvoy but but. It's a good deal for Clayton Keller but does it mean anything to the other RFA stars? Like you say I would take McAvoy over Keller any day of the week. In fact I have Charlie over all the other RFA defensemen like Thomas Chabot, Zach Werenski etc. Mitch Marner, Brock Boeser and Matt Tkachuk are the ones who will get more because the big scorers and point producers. That seems easier to justify than proven worth to defensive defensemen like in this case McAvoy and/or even Brandon Carlo.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

The Arizona Coyotes re-signed forward Clayton Keller to an eight-year contract extension. Reports indicate the deal is worth $57.2 million, with an annual average value of $7.15 million.

Who would you rather have McAvoy or Keller? Too me its an easy choice. McAvoy hands down

Is it just me? Who is worth more to the bruins considering the bruins have some very talented smallish offensive minded D men....Brandon Carlo or Charlie Mac?

Brandon has potential to add more points and is so very effective defensively. Brandon camp might be looking for more than some folk suggest. His progression / stats are pretty impressive.

Perhaps Charlie becomes trade bait? Hate to see it however the return can be huge? Like Boston fan Hall.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Bruins have the left handed version of Carlo in Providence named Lauzon so I wouldn't go nuts with a contract. McAvoy is a must sign IMO. If he wants 5 years though, I play the first two months without him then give in, Screw him. RFA's shouldn't have it both ways. Take a bridge deal and then get paid, or sign a max year deal and get paid. The fact that an RFA is the most powerful player in the league now goes against everything it was established to be. I'm guessing the 29/30 year olds that come up for UFA are in for an even more rude awakening now.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Is it just me? Who is worth more to the bruins considering the bruins have some very talented smallish offensive minded D men....Brandon Carlo or Charlie Mac?

Brandon has potential to add more points and is so very effective defensively. Brandon camp might be looking for more than some folk suggest. His progression / stats are pretty impressive.

Perhaps Charlie becomes trade bait? Hate to see it however the return can be huge? Like Boston fan Hall.
100% McAvoy is more valuable than Carlo. McAvoy isn't a smallish offensively-minded defenseman, he's the Bruins best defenseman and future #1D if not already.

Carlo is a great shutdown defenseman who in my opinion has room to improve offensively. I'm a Carlo fan, but his skill-set is easier to replace than McAvoy's. Unless a team is willing to offer a young #1C, McAvoy should be off limits. Both should be Bruins for a long time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

If McAvoy wants to sign that deal count me in, he doesn’t want 8 years though unless you bust open the piggy bank with it

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

It's just you if you think Carlo is worth more to the Bruins as McAvoy is. Lets start by saying they're both important but McAvoy is above and beyond Carlo for importance moving forward.

McAvoy IS a #1 defenseman, already. He's proven to be a two-way stud and should only continue to get better. He excels offensively, transitioning, and is solid in his own end. He can log massive minutes. He's only 22 years old and is scratching the surface of his potential. Carlo is a defensive first guy who also logs big minutes.

Who are these small offensive minded defenseman you speak of? Aren't two of them left handed in Krug and Grzelcyk? The other would be Clifton who projects as a bottom pair guy at this point.

Carlo, thus far, has shown very little offensive upside. The hope at this point is he can develop into a 20-25 point guy. I don't see Carlo ever producing enough offensively to make McAvoy expendable.

This is Chiarelli level stuff. Pass as hard as it gets on this "idea".

Last edited:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
100% McAvoy is more valuable than Carlo. McAvoy isn't a smallish offensively-minded defenseman, he's the Bruins best defenseman and future #1D if not already.

Carlo is a great shutdown defenseman who in my opinion has room to improve offensively. I'm a Carlo fan, but his skill-set is easier to replace than McAvoy's. Unless a team is willing to offer a young #1C, McAvoy should be off limits. Both should be Bruins for a long time.

I agree the only way I would trade McAvoy is if we are getting a Nathan McKinnon or Leon Draisaitl type #1C in return, otherwise you hang onto the young #1D in CM.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

I’m not debating who is better. It’s charlie. But Carlo is not far behind. Bruins have unbelievable depth at d and weak at top tier forwards. Charlie and Carlo will be expensive signings. Maybe it’s time to explore a good hockey trade. Equal value top tier forward for top tier d man in Charlie. I like Charlie however he is prone to defensive mishaps. It has to be a good hockey trade that helps the bruins cap and top forward group.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I’m not debating who is better. It’s charlie. But carlo is not far behind. Bruins have unbelievable depth at d and weak at top tier forwards. Charlie and Carlo will be expensive signings. Maybe it’s time to explore a good hockey trade. Equal value top tier forward for top tier d man in Charlie. I like Charlie however he is prone to defensive mishaps. It has to be a good hockey trade that helps the bruins cap and top forward group.

Carlo is far behind McAvoy. One is a top pairing guy. The other is not. Why not trade Carlo then? I'm not dealing McAvoy. He's the #1 now and moving forward.

You want a good hockey trade that helps the Bruins cap and forward group and suggest Hall? How does that help? Acquire a guy who could walk in the next year or gets 8-10M+ on his next deal and plays a position we already have a top line winger at in LW.

Reactions: Lo97 and bbfan419

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Carlo is far behind McAvoy. One is a top pairing guy. The other is not. Why not trade Carlo then? I'm not dealing McAvoy. He's the #1 now and moving forward.

You want a good hockey trade that helps the Bruins cap and forward group and suggest Hall? How does that help? Acquire a guy who could walk in the next year or gets 8-10M+ on his next deal and plays a position we already have a top line winger at in LW.

It’s not that simple ... it would be multiple pieces etc. In my humble opinion I believe Carlo can play top line and like i said earlier the bruins are not short on quality d men. Charlie can definitely garnish more interest. For the bruins Carlo will come slightly cheaper and still play top line minutes whereas Charlie can fetch a quality forward and not come at the expense of harnessing the bruins capwise.

You’re making out like Charlie is the next coming of Bobby Orr. He’s good but also has some pretty bad defensive lapses.

Don’t forget Krug up next year.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Not buying that hes more of a first pairing guy than Krug even though his contract will be half of what Krugs next one is. And yeah if Krugs getting 8 Carlo for 4 sounds about right.

The one thing hes really good at (defense) is pretty important for a defenseman. He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade in his own zone like his teammate who is a sure fire first ballot HOFer and one of the best ever to play the position. Great skater especially for his size. And he was good enough to be in the NHL a couple months after being drafted despite not being a high pick he didn't get the last 3 years to hone his offensive game in college or JRs after being picked.

Im down to trade Carlo if the guy coming back is equally good defensively makes equal or less money and is the same age. Wanna make a list of those guys for me?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Not buying that hes more of a first pairing guy than Krug even though his contract will be half of what Krugs next one is. And yeah if Krugs getting 8 Carlo for 4 sounds about right.

The one thing hes really good at (defense) is pretty important for a defenseman. He doesn't handle the puck like a grenade in his own zone like his teammate who is a sure fire first ballot HOFer and one of the best ever to play the position. Great skater especially for his size. And he was good enough to be in the NHL a couple months after being drafted despite not being a high pick he didn't get the last 3 years to hone his offensive game in college or JRs after being picked.

Im down to trade Carlo if the guy coming back is equally good defensively makes equal or less money and is the same age. Wanna make a list of those guys for me?

Call Vegas, they are thin on the blue line, Carlo for Tuch straight up.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Wouldn't mind that kind of deal for Charlie McAvoy but but. It's a good deal for Clayton Keller but does it mean anything to the other RFA stars? Like you say I would take McAvoy over Keller any day of the week. In fact I have Charlie over all the other RFA defensemen like Thomas Chabot, Zach Werenski etc. Mitch Marner, Brock Boeser and Matt Tkachuk are the ones who will get more because the big scorers and point producers. That seems easier to justify than proven worth to defensive defensemen like in this case McAvoy and/or even Brandon Carlo.

I can see taking Werenski on talent alone. Chabot and McAvoy are very close and wouldn't have an issue
picking either.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Call Vegas, they are thin on the blue line, Carlo for Tuch straight up.
Love Carlo -- but everytime I see Tuch I ask myself how a player like that fell to an expansion team. Vegas really got a sweetheart deal compared to prior expansion teams. Tuch is a player I'd love to have in Boston.

Reactions: bbfan419
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad