GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Playing in Finland until Dec 1 makes him more attractive to us.

We can see if our prospects and 4th liner UFAs are any good. I think most of them are on a short rope and I'm not going to fret losing guys to waivers if they don't do anything in their 5-10 game stints.

Last year we thought the kid 3rd line would perform and it ended up being atrocious.

I have to imagine 3 year lockout protected deals would appeal to Carlo and McAvoy and keep their cap hits down. Conversely 2 years is a big F no from them as they don't want to hit the lockout with no contract and we don't want to do 4 and let them be UFAs ASAP.

Any fear that a new collective bargaining agreement would let guys become UFAs sooner so we can't give them deals where 21/22 is the last year in case it goes from 7 to 6 years?

Teams are saving nothing on guys being RFAs vs UFAs these days you can just lose them and get compensation.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

We can see if our prospects and 4th liner UFAs are any good. I think most of them are on a short rope and I'm not going to fret losing guys to waivers if they don't do anything in their 5-10 game stints.

Last year we thought the kid 3rd line would perform and it ended up being atrocious.

I have to imagine 3 year lockout protected deals would appeal to Carlo and McAvoy and keep their cap hits down. Conversely 2 years is a big F no from them as they don't want to hit the lockout with no contract and we don't want to do 4 and let them be UFAs ASAP.

Any fear that a new collective bargaining agreement would let guys become UFAs sooner so we can't give them deals where 21/22 is the last year in case it goes from 7 to 6 years?

Teams are saving nothing on guys being RFAs vs UFAs these days you can just lose them and get compensation.

And that's the issue that no one wants to talk about with not just these two, but all the other big RFA's around the league and why Sept 15th is a big date on the calendar.

League announced they will not exercise their option to end the current CBA. The NHLPA has until September 15th to decide. So what season do these RFA's/Agents look for the lockout protection?

My gut tells me that as soon as everyone knows the certainty of the CBA over the next 3 years, these deals will get done in very short order.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
And that's the issue that no one wants to talk about with not just these two, but all the other big RFA's around the league and why Sept 15th is a big date on the calendar.

League announced they will not exercise their option to end the current CBA. The NHLPA has until September 15th to decide. So what season do these RFA's/Agents look for the lockout protection?

My gut tells me that as soon as everyone knows the certainty of the CBA over the next 3 years, these deals will get done in very short order.

And then Friedman is reporting this: "if a deal cannot be reached by the 15th, both sides will agree to move the NHLPA's deadline to a future date." LINK So this drama can go on and on. If they decide to extend the NHLPA deadline out 30 or 60 days or whatever what would that mean for the RFAs? Do they continue to wait and see who blinks first and maybe miss the season start?

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
And then Friedman is reporting this: "if a deal cannot be reached by the 15th, both sides will agree to move the NHLPA's deadline to a future date." LINK So this drama can go on and on. If they decide to extend the NHLPA deadline out 30 or 60 days or whatever what would that mean for the RFAs? Do they continue to wait and see who blinks first and maybe miss the season start?

My understanding, and I believe it is what Friedman is trying to say, is that the NHL and NHLPA are negotiating a new CBA and are close enough to an agreement that the NHL would extend the PA the right to go passed the Sept 15 deadline in hopes of hashing out a new agreement.

If that's the case. players and agents will be kept in the loop as to where they are at and what's "new" in a new CBA. So, I don't think there will be any hold up to the current RFA negotiations. Teams and players will be more prepared on September 15.

Teams could however lose a bargaining chip - that is, use lockout protection to keep the AAV down.

Reactions: Estlin and Dr Hook

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017

I just don't see him as a guy that would fit in well here.

gumgum

Oct 15, 2017
I'm on the opposite side of this fence. I think he's worth a shot.

A second and a prospect who is down the list a little bit is a risk I'd be willing to take. Happy to.
It's a fair price for a guy with his body-type and skating ability, but I'm just not sure he'd last very long here even if he were reasonably productive.

Reactions: Jim

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I’m not surprised that McAvoy hasn’t signed. I actually expected it to last this long. I’m floored Carlo hasn’t signed yet. I thought they would of signed a long term deal in July.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I love this. I am rooting for him!

He is only 27 but he is driving to Boston with his pregnant wife and dog for a tryout with the Bruins, not knowing if it’s a long way to go to hear we’re “going in a different direction” or “you’re still on the NHL road, young man.”

This guy should drop the tough guy act and get on with playing hockey. He losses every freakin' fight he has anyway. This guy has fought just about everybody and lost to them all. How this guy hasn't had a career ending concussion is beyond logic.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not surprised that McAvoy hasn’t signed. I actually expected it to last this long. I’m floored Carlo hasn’t signed yet. I thought they would of signed a long term deal in July.
I would not sign a long term deal if I’m Carlo.

Reactions: gumgum

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not trying to argue, just curious as to why you think a long term deal isn't ideal for Carlo.
You going to give a guy who has scored 2 goals in last 2 season 152 games and averaging 10 points a shat load of money ?

Honestly I love him like a puppy but I’m not giving him $4 M a year

I’d like to see him be a 25 point guy before I pay him for both sides of the ice

He’s got to give me more - he’s good but he’s not complete

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
You going to give a guy who has scored 2 goals in last 2 season 152 games and averaging 10 points a shat load of money ?

I’d like to see him be a 25 point guy before I pay him for both sides of the ice

Not small enough? Maybe he can tip a goal into his own net, turn into a hit that could have been avoided and be knocked out, and return G7 because of nepotism over a player who had played far better to be on the ice for the penultimate goal in a position to step up and not let the shot off? That guy is likely getting close to 4 a year from now.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I mean San Jose spends 30 mil on their top 4.

Your getting both Carlo and McAvoy for what Karlsson makes if you give in and pay them 4 and 8 long term. Add Clifton thats 13. Add Krug for 8 to keep his term down thats 21. Give Gryz 4 next year thats 25. You can replace Chara with a 7 mil guy and have a blueline that costs the same as SJ.

What pair of contracts are we gonna regret spending 12 per on Carlo and Mac on the right for the rest of their 20s or 12 combined on the left for 2 guys who are seriously undersized?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

If Carlo would do 8yr/$4m, I'd be all over it. At worst you get a big shutdown dman that can log major minutes and anchor your PK when Chara hangs them up.

Reactions: Lo97

Doc54

Aug 18, 2019
This guy should drop the tough guy act and get on with playing hockey. He losses every freakin' fight he has anyway. This guy has fought just about everybody and lost to them all. How this guy hasn't had a career ending concussion is beyond logic.
He's anything but a tough guy and if you met him in person I think he would never claim to be as he is very soft spoken. What he does is stick up and take one for team mates. That takes courage in my opinion.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
He's anything but a tough guy and if you met him in person I think he would never claim to be as he is very soft spoken. What he does is stick up and take one for team mates. That takes courage in my opinion.

Hey , I am as clueless as the farmer in Japan about this guy, haven't really followed him. I just watched a bunch of videos of him getting his ass kicked. Sticking up for your team , as noble as that may be, is dumb as shit if you don't know how to fight. He is taking a licking every time. Dude, you suck at fighting, stop it before they knock your brains out, if they haven't already.

If that's the only way you can be a hockey player then f*** it, your not really a hockey player , sell insurance or something , hockey is not for you.

This is why I advise him to concentrate on learning hockey skills, fighting is clearly not his thing.

Reactions: Ratty

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016

Who is really the tough guy?

The man who pummels every guy he throws down with? Or the guy who knows he is going to get beat but does it anyways to make a point for his friend?

Reactions: Lo97 and HustleB

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Pretty tough to register points when you don’t get power play time. Even tougher when you have a defensive pair like Krug who is asked to play an offensive role and krug jumps up on the play consistently where Carlo has to make sure he always stays back.

Right now Carlo is the bruins best shut down defenseman. Among all defenders to play at least 20 games for the bruins, Goalies had the best 5v5 save percentage with Carlo on the ice. Carlo ranked first on the bruins in defensive point shares. Carlo lead all defenders in takeaways. Carlo was the only defender besides Clifton to have a positive takeaway/giveaway ratio on the bruins.

Carlo also ranked 2nd among defenders in 5v5 goals for to goals against ratio among defenders on the team. Only defender that was better was Clifton who played 19 games.

A players worth goes so much beyond his points totals. Yes goals are nice, but preventing them is just as important as scoring them and he was the best on the ice at preventing them last season for the bruins.

Reactions: Lo97

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty tough to register points when you don’t get power play time. Even tougher when you have a defensive pair like Krug who is asked to play an offensive role and krug jumps up on the play consistently where Carlo has to make sure he always stays back.

Right now Carlo is the bruins best shut down defenseman. Among all defenders to play at least 20 games for the bruins, Goalies had the best 5v5 save percentage with Carlo on the ice. Carlo ranked first on the bruins in defensive point shares. Carlo lead all defenders in takeaways. Carlo was the only defender besides Clifton to have a positive takeaway/giveaway ratio on the bruins.

Carlo also ranked 2nd among defenders in 5v5 goals for to goals against ratio among defenders on the team. Only defender that was better was Clifton who played 19 games.

A players worth goes so much beyond his points totals. Yes goals are nice, but preventing them is just as important as scoring them and he was the best on the ice at preventing them last season for the bruins.
I am all in on Carlo - I been posting since the beginning he’s going to be a top premier Shutdown guy in the league by age 25 and the type of player with health who plays well over 1000 NHL games

Krug- Carlo on the second pair is a weapon for the Bruins

I’d give him 3/13.5

Sweeney probably gets him for less

Carlo 4
Krug 6.75
McAvoy 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad