GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Yea I’m of the opinion that you don’t trade core pieces and top players for cap reasons. That killed them with Boychuk. There’s a ton of other guys I’d trade first

Yeah. You and everyone else, but some times its inevitable in the Cap world, you have to move salary out and make some tough decisions going forward and when you have depth at certain position,like the Bruins do,you do it. Krug too me is like 3rd on the list for defenseman, he's behind McAvoy and Carlo and Im finding out what it'll take to get him signed before the season and if its upwards of 7 mil Im moving him for the best return. whether its picks/propects or a top six forward.

Im not rolling the Dice like the Bluejackets did, especially given the depth the Bruins have behind their blue-line.

McAvoy has far from reached his potential offensively and could easily hit the 60 point plateau with more #1pp time and with Lauzon,Vaak,Grizz and possibly Zech the Bruins have plenty of skilled left-side defense. You trade from strength and defense is the Bruins strength and right now Torey Krug is their most valuable asset to move.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Krug can and should be traded. I mean if there is one area that I have confidence in it’s the defensive prospects we have. I think Grizz can definitely chew up his minutes. PP is the only concern but I think Mac giving more responsibility here and Grizz as well. Do it now, bank some picks and prospects. Start the season so they have time to adjust.

They did this with Lucic and it was the right move and I believe Carlo was one of the gets from this trade so we definitely benefited. I think it’s the right move

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yeah. You and everyone else, but some times its inevitable in the Cap world, you have to move salary out and make some tough decisions going forward and when you have depth at certain position,like the Bruins do,you do it. Krug too me is like 3rd on the list for defenseman, he's behind McAvoy and Carlo and Im finding out what it'll take to get him signed before the season and if its upwards of 7 mil Im moving him for the best return. whether its picks/propects or a top six forward.

Im not rolling the Dice like the Bluejackets did, especially given the depth the Bruins have behind their blue-line.

McAvoy has far from reached his potential offensively and could easily hit the 60 point plateau with more #1pp time and with Lauzon,Vaak,Grizz and possibly Zech the Bruins have plenty of skilled left-side defense. You trade from strength and defense is the Bruins strength and right now Torey Krug is their most valuable asset to move.
My thoughts exactly, Krug at over $7M is not worth it for the Bruins, they have a lot of good young D coming that could replace him and at the same time we trade him for assets that could fill the top 6.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Yea I’m of the opinion that you don’t trade core pieces and top players for cap reasons. That killed them with Boychuk. There’s a ton of other guys I’d trade first
I know what you mean, but you have to also look at the value you are getting for the cost. Krug is a great PP guy that most teams would want, however is he worth lets say $8M per year, especially with younger cheaper guys like Grizz, Zech, Lauzon and UV that could replace him?

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Trading Boychuk hurt, but if we had him right now at $6M for three more seasons, we'd be burning Chiarelli in effigy, despite him being gone for half a decade. The Isles can get away with carrying that colossal cap waste. The Bruins cannot.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Trading Boychuk hurt, but if we had him right now at $6M for three more seasons, we'd be burning Chiarelli in effigy, despite him being gone for half a decade. The Isles can get away with carrying that colossal cap waste. The Bruins cannot.

I agree 100%. I would have been fine going for it with him and letting him walk at the end of the year

Reactions: bbfan419

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I know what you mean, but you have to also look at the value you are getting for the cost. Krug is a great PP guy that most teams would want, however is he worth lets say $8M per year, especially with younger cheaper guys like Grizz, Zech, Lauzon and UV that could replace him?

Your question nicely captures the issue and no, he's not worth that especially given the depth the B's have.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Hasn’t Krug already accommodated Boston with his first two contracts? Why should he do it again, and why should we expect him to do so?

1. He likes it where he is and wants to stay playing in Boston
2. He wants to be on a solid winning team.

Reactions: remer

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Wasn't his first contract an ELC? Not much negotiation there. Krug wasn't drafted.
He signed a two-year bridge for like a buck-and-a-half before this last one. It was a sweetheart contract for the Bruins.

I don’t expect anything from Krug. Unfair to do so. Reality of the situation however is that if he really wants to stay in Boston, he’s going to have to take less than he’d get on the open market. Nothing personal, we just can’t afford it.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Have to think the Bruins would have already moved Krug if they knew he priced himself out of Boston. If he's not re-signed by the trade deadline, he may get moved, but I also feel like if Bruins' management believes they have another shot this season, he could act as a rental.

I only hope that if the Bruins do re-sign Krug, they do not overpay him.

Reactions: bbfan419

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
If the Bruins are moving Krug, they should probably do it sooner rather than later. Some people suggest moving him at the deadline, but assuming we're gonna be one of the top teams in the east, why would we do that and potentially screw up a lot of chemistry? It's gotta be in the offseason so we know what we're heading in with.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If the Bruins are moving Krug, they should probably do it sooner rather than later. Some people suggest moving him at the deadline, but assuming we're gonna be one of the top teams in the east, why would we do that and potentially screw up a lot of chemistry? It's gotta be in the offseason so we know what we're heading in with.
Not to mention his value right now is as high as it has ever been coming off of a very strong playoff performance. Also, the longer the Bs wait the more chance of Krug getting injured. That may not be a huge consideration, but it's something that needs to be considered. I hope a reasonable deal can be reached and he remains a B, however I agree that if the Bs are going to trade him it would be foolish to wait until the deadline for a variety of reasons.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Who knows what happen if we made the playoffs the 2 years we DNQ'd following Boychuk's exit our stars were in their primes. A deal from us would have looked different to his Isles one hes probably walking as a free agent after 5 years making around 5 mil ending this summer or next.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I think if they were going to move Krug, it would have been done weeks ago.

Mind you, I’m not arguing there isn’t a hole on the RW.

They’ll be cap compliant to start the season and figure something out by TDL.

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005

Agreed, but I think the playoff results, or lack thereof in 2015, 2017, would have been different.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Sucks that because Matthews and Pajamas are the golden boys in Toronto, Marner will be forced into second/third fiddle despite being what i feel is a comparable or even better player than both of em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad