GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Been trying to read and watch as much as I can on Gusev. Not so sure he would be a sure thing at RW. Almost all his damage is done in and around the left circle. He is freaking wicked in and around the left circle -- holy crap. Seems like if the Bs traded for him then they would need to find a spot for him on the left, and the biggest team need is RW. Also, I'd be interested to know how well he plays outside of the Ozone. About everything I've been able to watch is of course showing his offensive highlights. And lastly, I am curious as to how he would play in a league where guys will be more routinely in his grill and hitting him. The videos I've seen have him making plays against not so stellar defense. It's neat that he did better than several awesome NHL talents who played in the KHL, but then again he is 27 years old. Some of those other guys who he outscored in the KHL were much younger when they played, excluding Radulov.

Not poopooing the idea of Gusev on the Bs. Just think there are some pretty big question marks for a team in the Bs situation. It might be worth a shot trying to make a deal for him. There are several teams in the NHL that have plenty of cap space that should be making a solid effort to work out a trade. The guy is clearly very skilled offensively, and could very well end up being an excellent NHL player. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen Gusev play full games, rather than just highlight reels.

To me, most logical solution would be to drop Debrusk (who struggled mightily during the playoffs) to the 3rd line. Wouldn’t be the worst thing for him to feast on lesser competition. Then roll with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Gusev-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-???

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Bjork still has potential, but will we ever see it? Hasn’t had much luck with injuries. I think they may look at him as a trade chip before it happens again, so the Gusev proposal makes sense

And with the aging core, DS still needs to take a good swing at some point. Signing his guys and limping along will eventually lead him to having to add a nice player anyway...at the deadline...whatnot.

If Gusev is your man, Bjork shouldn’t stop you.

But I believe DS is a very incremental guy...he’ll deal with his FAs...then the guys he wants to shed...then adding.

There is something to say about trying to make your big piece add before the season and let the guys gel all regular season. It would be nice.

Reactions: Strafer

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Can't see Vegas settling for that. Think they would
demand Senyshyn or Kuhlman in addition.
Well, since Gusev is a RW, he’d be occupying the spot Senyshyn and Kuhlman would be competing for. So you include one, and the other auditions for the 3RW.

I still fail to see how Bjork can be moved until the first part of the season so that an acquiring GM can be confident his shoulder is holding up under game pressure.

Reactions: bbfan419

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
To me, most logical solution would be to drop Debrusk (who struggled mightily during the playoffs) to the 3rd line. Wouldn’t be the worst thing for him to feast on lesser competition. Then roll with:

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen
Gusev-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Coyle-???
Isn’t Gusev a right shot? Why play him and Heinen out of their normal shooting positions. I know Gusev has played LW as many Europeans often play their off wing. But I’d rather have Danny at his natural LW slot and Gusev on the starboard side.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Buffalo over MTL and pushes hard on FLA. They’re the real deal this year.

The Atlantic top 5 is going to be a bloodbath and MTL has the chance to take a game any night too. Going to be fun to watch as a hockey fan
I too like the Sabres, but they still have a big ? in the net.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Haven’t been on in awhile,I haven’t read all the posts,is it fair to say the Bruins probably don’t have enough cap,space left to sign Carlo and Charlie without moving someone?

member 96824

I too like the Sabres, but they still have a big ? in the net.

Only thing that keeps them from firmly being above FLA and maybe even Toronto.

They’re trading Risto though, probably more forward depth but maybe it’ll surprise us and bring goalie help.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Isn’t Gusev a right shot? Why play him and Heinen out of their normal shooting positions. I know Gusev has played LW as many Europeans often play their off wing. But I’d rather have Danny at his natural LW slot and Gusev on the starboard side.

This was in response to a poster saying Gusev looks more comfortable playing the left side. Also, Heinen proved to be an excellent complementary player to Marchand and Bergeron while playing as their RW last year.

I think it’s all about balance. The problem with continually rolling the “Perfection Line” (cringe-inducing nickname by the way) is that kills your ability to spread offense across the top 3 lines. And I’m not even convinced 63-37-88 play their best hockey when they’re on the same line. In the playoffs, it looked like they were always deferring to one another (ex: consistently overpassing). No one was stepping up to drive the offense on that line.

Reactions: Strafer

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I highly doubt bjork has any value anywhere anymore

Nonsense. The prospects who have stunk in the AHL like Senny have no value. Teams are definitely interested in Bjork and Cehlarik who have shown flashes neither are young and a project and have looked good at times on ELC. I am pretty certain Mojo's spot is going to one of them. The other has to try and pry the Kuhlman spot away from him and Ritchie.

Neither guy can have many waiver exemptions left? I'm assuming that might not work in eithers favor ie they get left in Providence because if they are in Boston and not in the lineup they can't be sent down without being exposed to waivers.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Estlin

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I'd prefer to take my chances with kids than pay 4 million per on a guy I know nothing about in regards to his NHL play

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Guy is The Invisible Man come PO. Want no part
of him.

I'd easily take him into this top9 at 3M if there was real cap space.

I’ve been shocked with some of the contracts handed out this off season. Some real team friendly deals on quality players. I know it takes two to tango with these but damn it’s frustrating to see these guys sign elsewhere on “cheap” deals.

I feel like some players waited for too long for better offers and teams got in controll over players, where as day 1 is where players are at controll.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Can’t you do both?

Barring another odd top seeds all knocked out early type playoff like last year, the Bruins are going to need a homerun to compete with the best next year.

I trust Dom over my lying eyes, and would take a chance that Gusev is that swing for the fences type move.

If he doesn't produce, were we winning the cup next year anyway?

If he's the best we can do without giving up our future for a mini 2-3 year window, I'd do it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo next on Bruins’ list - The Boston Globe

Don Sweeney’s payroll wallet grew thinner Wednesday when the Bruins and Danton Heinen skirted the arbitration process and agreed to a two-year deal that will pay the promising 24-year-old winger an average $2.8 million for each of the next two years.

“We don’t play hockey for money,” Heinen said the next day, musing over his new-found wealth, eager to play on a one-way contract for the first time since departing the University of Denver following the 2015-16 season. “But it’s definitely cool that they pay us like they do to play the game.”

Now comes the much tougher sledding for Sweeney, who has until Dec. 1 to get deals done with restricted free agent defensemen Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo, whose combined average take likely will exceed $10 million.

Sweeney, with some $8 million remaining in cap space, is seeing his wallet grow precariously thin. If the McAvoy-Carlo package comes in near the $10 million mark, it will be fairly easy to massage the payroll (max $81.5 million) to accommodate the two. If it creeps into the range of $11 million or $12 million, then the emergency call goes out to finance gurus Suze Orman and Ric Edelman, either to help rework the books or fill the two open spots on the back line.

Even though Heinen never actually engaged in an arbitration hearing — Heinen: “You hear around the league it’s not the nicest process to go through.” — his filing for it July 5 now allows Sweeney until Tuesday of this week again to consider buying out one of his roster players. Per the CBA, that buyout target would have to have greater than a $3.5 million cap hit (a figure related to the average wage across the league).

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->