GDT: 2019 NHL/Bruins Free Agent Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo next on Bruins’ list - The Boston Globe

Don Sweeney’s payroll wallet grew thinner. —his filing for it July 5 now allows Sweeney until Tuesday of this week again to consider buying out one of his roster players. Per the CBA, that buyout target would have to have greater than a $3.5 million cap hit (a figure related to the average wage across the league).

That Backes contract is biting him in the a$$ now. It will be interesting to see what he does

Reactions: bbfan419

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
That Backes contract is biting him in the a$$ now. It will be interesting to see what he does
For what it’s worth- I like Backes . Very professional and from all accounts a great person and locker room guy. It’s just the money he got from Sweeney. I’m really surprised that don fell into this mess given that Sweeney seemed to know where the game was headed from all the other moves he made.

Reactions: hrdpuk and bbfan419

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Charlie McAvoy, Brandon Carlo next on Bruins’ list - The Boston Globe

Don Sweeney’s payroll wallet grew thinner Wednesday when the Bruins and Danton Heinen skirted the arbitration process and agreed to a two-year deal that will pay the promising 24-year-old winger an average $2.8 million for each of the next two years.

“We don’t play hockey for money,” Heinen said the next day, musing over his new-found wealth, eager to play on a one-way contract for the first time since departing the University of Denver following the 2015-16 season. “But it’s definitely cool that they pay us like they do to play the game.”

Now comes the much tougher sledding for Sweeney, who has until Dec. 1 to get deals done with restricted free agent defensemen Charlie McAvoy and Brandon Carlo, whose combined average take likely will exceed $10 million.

Sweeney, with some $8 million remaining in cap space, is seeing his wallet grow precariously thin. If the McAvoy-Carlo package comes in near the $10 million mark, it will be fairly easy to massage the payroll (max $81.5 million) to accommodate the two. If it creeps into the range of $11 million or $12 million, then the emergency call goes out to finance gurus Suze Orman and Ric Edelman, either to help rework the books or fill the two open spots on the back line.

Even though Heinen never actually engaged in an arbitration hearing — Heinen: “You hear around the league it’s not the nicest process to go through.” — his filing for it July 5 now allows Sweeney until Tuesday of this week again to consider buying out one of his roster players. Per the CBA, that buyout target would have to have greater than a $3.5 million cap hit (a figure related to the average wage across the league).

Nice article by KPD, kind of odd though on how they leave Beecher off of the incoming drafted players going to BU.

He also points out Krugs situation. In what next year may bring. Interesting to say the least, but I've always said Krug will easily reap in 8mil or more on the open market. KPD suggest he gets a little higher, well either way with has value and the Bruins need for cap space and some top tier forward prospects, along with their depth on the blue-line hopefully Sweeney is taking and making some calls on him.

"Sweeney, in factoring what to pay Carlo and McAvoy, also must consider the career arc and pay package for power-play QB Torey Krug, now less than 52 weeks from reaching unrestricted free agency. In that sense, Krug is very much connected to the McAvoy-Carlo talks."
"Krug’s AAV for next season is $5.25 million, tops on the team among blue liners, and he is likely to come close to doubling that as a free agent. Keep in mind, Krug has banked 163 points over the last three seasons, ranking him fifth among all blue liners."

"If Sweeney isn’t prepared to bump Krug toward $9 million or more this time next season, now could be the time to move him, recapture his $5.25 million to use in the Carlo-McAvoy contracts, and perhaps pocket a couple of primo picks or prospects in the process."

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Nice article by KPD, kind of odd though on how they leave Beecher off of the incoming drafted players going to BU.

He also points out Krugs situation. In what next year may bring. Interesting to say the least, but I've always said Krug will easily reap in 8mil or more on the open market. KPD suggest he gets a little higher, well either way with has value and the Bruins need for cap space and some top tier forward prospects, along with their depth on the blue-line hopefully Sweeney is taking and making some calls on him.

"Sweeney, in factoring what to pay Carlo and McAvoy, also must consider the career arc and pay package for power-play QB Torey Krug, now less than 52 weeks from reaching unrestricted free agency. In that sense, Krug is very much connected to the McAvoy-Carlo talks."
"Krug’s AAV for next season is $5.25 million, tops on the team among blue liners, and he is likely to come close to doubling that as a free agent. Keep in mind, Krug has banked 163 points over the last three seasons, ranking him fifth among all blue liners."

"If Sweeney isn’t prepared to bump Krug toward $9 million or more this time next season, now could be the time to move him, recapture his $5.25 million to use in the Carlo-McAvoy contracts, and perhaps pocket a couple of primo picks or prospects in the process."

If Krug is asking for more than 8m I have no trouble parting ways. Love him, he wants to be here, integral to the team. But this is a bad time for him to be asking for that much of a contract.
I, however, expect Krug to sign a deal along the lines of the hometown discounts the first line all have.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
If Krug is asking for more than 8m I have no trouble parting ways. Love him, he wants to be here, integral to the team. But this is a bad time for him to be asking for that much of a contract.
I, however, expect Krug to sign a deal along the lines of the hometown discounts the first line all have.

Home town discount, just what are you calling a hometown discount?

Krug has earned the right for a big pay-day and this will be his one and only chance to cash in on it. I'm under the feeling if Sweeney doesn't offer him 8 mil per to stay and that is pretty unlikely I don't see Krug giving up Millions of dollars.

He'd be a fool not to test the open market and cash in, Im sure those extra millions over the course of his contract will quickly make him feel right at home in his new surroundings, and Sweeney would be an absolute fool as well, not to explore whats out there on the market for Krug and I don't see either of them as being fools.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Home town discount, just what are you calling a hometown discount?

Krug has earned the right for a big pay-day and this will be his one and only chance to cash in on it. I'm under the feeling if Sweeney doesn't offer him 8 mil per to stay and that is pretty unlikely I don't see Krug giving up Millions of dollars.

He'd be a fool not to test the open market and cash in, Im sure those extra millions over the course of his contract will quickly make him feel right at home in his new surroundings, and Sweeney would be an absolute fool as well, not to explore whats out there on the market for Krug and I don't see either of them as being fools.

Reasons.

Ask LeBanc, he supposedly took the 1 year deal he did so his team could afford to keep his buddy another year.

Call me crazy, but I would take 5 million over 7 million to play on a contending team. I would play for the love for the game and get paid really well for it. At 5 mil a year neither I nor my family will have any financial worries in our lifetime given its managed wisely. The difference in lifestyle between a 5m a year and 7m a year is not that different.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Reasons.

Ask LeBanc, he supposedly took the 1 year deal he did so his team could afford to keep his buddy another year.

Call me crazy, but I would take 5 million over 7 million to play on a contending team. I would play for the love for the game and get paid really well for it. At 5 mil a year neither I nor my family will have any financial worries in our lifetime given its managed wisely. The difference in lifestyle between a 5m a year and 7m a year is not that different.

14 million over the course of a 7 year contract, yeah peanuts :sarcasm:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
4 years 30 or 5 years 35 are what I offer him. Can't go above that before this season. If thats offered this offseason I think he takes it.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Lifestyle. There is a point when you make enough to fill your needs. Then its just gravy. Society today measures success in dollar amounts, so I can see how people could be confused.

Well if Krug or any other UFA is willing to give up 14 millon dollars to take a hometown discount, kudas to them, but if you are truly expecting that, I think you need to pinch your-self.

There were reports out there on Eric Karlsson saying how his wife was home sick and wanted to get back close to home, in Ottawa, well when San Jose offered up $11,500,000 per year over the course of the next 8 years with a NMC, that homesickness was quickly cured.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Well if Krug or any other UFA is willing to give up 14 millon dollars to take a hometown discount, kudas to them, but if you are truly expecting that, I think you need to pinch your-self.

There were reports out there on Eric Karlsson saying how his wife was home sick and wanted to get back close to home, in Ottawa, well when San Jose offered up $11,500,000 per year over the course of the next 8 years with a NMC, that homesickness was quickly cured.

Or: They both took the money instead, thinking it was not an issue. But it could very well still turn out to be a constant issue in his marriage now.

Money does not solve all of life's problems. Ask a rich person. Most of the "rich" people I know are the most unhappy people I know.

Pastrnak took 6.9 mill when the entire league expected him to ask for 8+ after the Draisaitl deal.
That did not happen.

I think this is going more into philosophical debate than hockey discussion at this point.

Again:
If Krug asks for 8m+ he should be traded for help on the team. If he is leaning on taking lower for his own reasons, then we should keep him.

If Pastrnak had asked for 9-10m on his last contract I would have spent months talking about who we could trade his rights to another team for.

If Charlie McAvoy wants 9+ then I have no problem considering trading his rights to another team. Next man up.
If Charlie wants 8, I think he is worth it.
If Carlo wants 6+, trade his rights to NY for a year of Kreider. He wants 4-5, sign him fast.
He is worth that.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
Or: They both took the money instead, thinking it was not an issue. But it could very well still turn out to be a constant issue in his marriage now.

Money does not solve all of life's problems. Ask a rich person. Most of the "rich" people I know are the most unhappy people I know.

Pastrnak took 6.9 mill when the entire league expected him to ask for 8+ after the Draisaitl deal.
That did not happen.

I think this is going more into philosophical debate than hockey discussion at this point.

Again:
If Krug asks for 8m+ he should be traded for help on the team. If he is leaning on taking lower for his own reasons, then we should keep him.

If Pastrnak had asked for 9-10m on his last contract I would have spent months talking about who we could trade his rights to another team for.

If Charlie McAvoy wants 9+ then I have no problem considering trading his rights to another team. Next man up.
If Carlo wants 6+, trade his rights to NY for a year of Kreider. He wants 4-5, sign him fast.
He is worth that.
The bruins don’t have enough of the next man up to replace them players.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

That did not happen.

Again:

He is worth that.[/QUOTE

This is what we agree on.

I personally think 8 mil is his value, but is Sweeney even willing to pay that? I wouldn't, not with McAvoy,Carlo who are essentially the future, still need to be signed to contracts, and the depth of the Bruins on their defense, with Vaak,Lauzon and hopefully Zech all on the way in the very near future, makes Krug expendable and an extremely nice asset to have

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

That Karlsson deal sets Krug at around 8M at least for 7 years. He ain't going to be cheap and he shouldn't be

Reactions: TCB

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
The bruins don’t have enough of the next man up to replace them players.

The Bruins also cant throw all their money at a certain few players and not have enough left to field a team that has any chance at playoff success
COUGHTorontoEdmontonCOUGH

Reactions: OV

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Difficult decisions are going to have to be made, meaning there will have to be a trade or two over the next couple seasons of important players on the team unless those players value playing for the Bs over money. DS is not Dubas, and will not get suckered into what is biting Dubas in the butt. Krug is most likely going to have to take less than market value if he wants to continue being a B beyond his current contract. Others on the Bs have done that, and that's wonderful. If Krug decides he wants fair market value and the Bs cannot afford him, then neither side is to blame. Just the way things are with a cap. That being said, I think odds are good that Krug will work with DS and be willing to take reasonably less than fair market value to remain a B, while DS will do some maneuvering to keep Torey.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Difficult decisions are going to have to be made, meaning there will have to be a trade or two over the next couple seasons of important players on the team unless those players value playing for the Bs over money. DS is not Dubas, and will not get suckered into what is biting Dubas in the butt. Krug is most likely going to have to take less than market value if he wants to continue being a B beyond his current contract. Others on the Bs have done that, and that's wonderful. If Krug decides he wants fair market value and the Bs cannot afford him, then neither side is to blame. Just the way things are with a cap. That being said, I think odds are good that Krug will work with DS and be willing to take reasonably less than fair market value to remain a B, while DS will do some maneuvering to keep Torey.

I agree, really think Krug just loves it in Boston and while he won`t give in to a cheap deal, think he`d be willing to give up some dollars to stay, now, if that Zech kid shows he is a capable Krug replacement, might almost force DS`s hands to move Krug but TK is a unique D-man and one who is not easily replaced or replicated IMO

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
The Bruins also cant throw all their money at a certain few players and not have enough left to field a team that has any chance at playoff success
COUGHTorontoEdmontonCOUGH

Yes, no team can and that's one major reason Krug maybe dealt for futures/picks, unless Sweeney can find a taker for Backes or he goes on LTIR and even then depending on what McAvoy and Carlo signs for Krug may still end up pricing himself out of Boston. Given the fact that DeBrusk and Grizz will also be expecting significant pay raises next year as well.

Something gotta give unless the Cap skyrockets next year, and the hearsay is, that isn't going to happen, well the Bruins can still get compensated for the likes of Grizz and Debrusk if they leave through FA, the only way the get compensated for Krug is if if they deal him before he reaches his UFA status.

Unfortunately there's a cap limit you need to stay under, and sometimes moving certain players out in an area of strength is your best bet to stay cap complaint, now and in the future while still managing to acquire assets by moving that player out for your future success.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I wonder if Krug will agree to a deal that doesn't include an NMC so hes exposed to Seattle.

We might want to replace Chara with someone good and if that guy along with McAvoy and Carlo need to be protected Krug is #4. Could definitely hold up negotiations.

member 96824

Personally, next summer I would deal Krejci to fit Krug. I think the loss of Krug not only on the ice, but in the locker room would make for a couple of pretty tough years.

Only problem is next summer you have to also fit DeBrusk, Gryz, and Coyle too while also assuming that you need to find a top 4 replacement for Chara.:popcorn::pullhair:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I like Krug, but if he wants more than $7M per year then bye bye, we can get some good assets for him at the deadline if need be. I think DS should give it until the TDL to workout an extension and if the Krug camp wants $8M or more something like that, then start shopping him either for that #2 RW or maybe some great picks and prospects.

Reactions: Strafer and TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I like Krug, but if he wants more than $7M per year then bye bye, we can get some good assets for him at the deadline if need be. I think DS should give it until the TDL to workout an extension and if the Krug camp wants $8M or more something like that, then start shopping him either for that #2 RW or maybe some great picks and prospects.

What if they're in it at the TDL? I'm not trading krug.

Reactions: wintersej

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
That's why it would be beneficial for the Bruins to decide Krugs fate before the start of season.

if you can add too your cupboard of prospects and picks by dealing Krug it'll give you more assets to bargain with come deadline day or even before.

Can’t trade Krug for picks and prospects imo. That’s not a contending move. You’ve either got to trade him for a top 6 wing with term or keep him and risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad