OT: 2019 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
so basically you're saying we're not going to see the best era of QBs in league history ever again? Bold take

Brady is the best ever. Brees is up there. Ben is up there (for as much as I hate him). Eli won 2 Super Bowls. Peyton just recently retired and is top 5. Rodgers might be the most pure talented QB to ever play.

Mahomes has started his career WAY better than any of those guys. He just turned 24 years old. He is going to be around a LONG time.

Deshaun Watson is really good. Carson Wentz is really good. Sam Darnold looks really promising. Mayfield has struggled but he still has great potential. There are a handful of guys coming out in the next 1-2 years that could also reach great levels.

So yes, we won't ever have this era of QBs again. That doesn't mean the league is going down the tubes or anything like that.

Reactions: My3Sons

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Barkley himself is coming off injury. And Mahomes went the draft before Barkley so I still don’t see the comparison. You’re comparing Barkley (and Daniel Jones) to Darnold and Josh Allen, not Mahomes.

It’s not just about who’s better at their position though...so far the Giants haven’t won despite Barkley’s greatness.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Watson is definitely a treat to watch. I think the QB position will be in great hands in a few years. It’s not as if Brees or Rogers we’re great immediately. Brady and P Manning were great early and Big Ben won the SB as a rookie I believe but playing QB is insanely hard and the more cerebral players that need reps and experience to fully develop just take time. Wilson won a SB early but has since changed his game to my eyes and is now a much better QB and someone who I would absolutely build around which I wouldn’t have said when he was younger.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Barkley himself is coming off injury. And Mahomes went the draft before Barkley so I still don’t see the comparison. You’re comparing Barkley (and Daniel Jones) to Darnold and Josh Allen, not Mahomes.

It’s not just about who’s better at their position though...so far the Giants haven’t won despite Barkley’s greatness.
Why is comparing DJ to Darnold and Allen fair but not Barkley to Mahomes?

And sure, the Giants haven't won anything yet. But neither have the Jets, Chiefs, Bills, or Browns (lmao).

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Watson is definitely a treat to watch. I think the QB position will be in great hands in a few years. It’s not as if Brees or Rogers we’re great immediately.
I hope you're right about the position, I'm just seeing a pattern of pretty (unrelated) unfortunate circumstances around a bunch of these younger guys.

Rodgers only took longer because he was drafted by a team that had Brett Favre, and the chargers are gonna charger. Has that team played a home game in LA yet?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why is comparing DJ to Darnold and Allen fair but not Barkley to Mahomes?

And sure, the Giants haven't won anything yet. But neither have the Jets, Chiefs, Bills, or Browns (lmao).

The obvious comparison is they don’t draft Jones if they draft one of the QB’s the previous year. That changed the narrative to are they better off with Jones and Barkley than Darnold/Allen and whatever player they would have drafted this year. It’s probably close atm but nobody was expecting the Giants to draft high enough to be in position for a QB again when Barkley was taken.

More to the point though franchise QB’s usually win at some point when they hit. Franchise RB’s don’t always translate to being on a winner. That was the crux of the debate for the most part - more valuable position or best talent at his position.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I hope you're right about the position, I'm just seeing a pattern of pretty (unrelated) unfortunate circumstances around a bunch of these younger guys.

Rodgers only took longer because he was drafted by a team that had Brett Favre, and the chargers are gonna charger. Has that team played a home game in LA yet?

I don’t think LA cares about football all that much. I don’t see great crowds for the Rams either sometimes. When the new stadium opens I’m sure they will get good crowds for two or three years but after everyone has gotten used to it I think interest will subside again. Let’s see how many show up for game 16 if the Rams can’t make the playoffs.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The obvious comparison is they don’t draft Jones... It’s probably close atm but nobody was expecting the Giants to draft high enough to be in position for a QB again when Barkley was taken.
Arizona dropped Rosen and if the tires really fall off in Cleveland do you think they're not taking Tua/Hurts/Herbert?

More to the point though franchise QB’s usually win at some point when they hit. Franchise RB’s don’t always translate to being on a winner. That was the crux of the debate for the most part - more valuable position or best talent at his position.
Football is the last sport you should be drafting for position of need. Gettleman and his staff - rightly or wrongly - apparently agree and thought Barkley was the bpa.

Lets not forget that if the Giants were anywhere near a competitive squad DJ is still riding the pine. Which means they probably figured - as did I - that they had a few years to figure out the QB situation.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Arizona dropped Rosen and if the tires really fall off in Cleveland do you think they're not taking Tua/Hurts/Herbert?

Football is the last sport you should be drafting for position of need. Gettleman and his staff - rightly or wrongly - apparently agree and thought Barkley was the bpa.

Lets not forget that if the Giants were anywhere near a competitive squad DJ is still riding the pine. Which means they probably figured - as did I - that they had a few years to figure out the QB situation.

Arizona was a unique situation with the new coach. If literally anyone else was hired as their coach they would not have taken Kyler Murray.

There is also 0% chance Cleveland drafts a QB high. None.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
Arizona was a unique situation with the new coach. If literally anyone else was hired as their coach they would not have taken Kyler Murray.
I highly doubt this is true given that he just got sat the f*** down by Miami. Miami...
There is also 0% chance Cleveland drafts a QB high. None.
If Mayfield ends up with 12 td's and 30 int's - which is roughly what he's pacing at - with the offensive weapons he has they'd be absolutely foolish not to if one of those guys is one the board. Then again it is Cleveland.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
I don’t think LA cares about football all that much. I don’t see great crowds for the Rams either sometimes. When the new stadium opens I’m sure they will get good crowds for two or three years but after everyone has gotten used to it I think interest will subside again. Let’s see how many show up for game 16 if the Rams can’t make the playoffs.
At least the Rams have roots there.

Moving the Chargers to LA was the equivalent of (hypothetically) relocating the Devils to Pennsylvania and expecting people to show up because it's close.

My3Sons

Sponsor
At least the Rams have roots there.

Moving the Chargers to LA was the equivalent of (hypothetically) relocating the Devils to Pennsylvania and expecting people to show up because it's close.

The NFL borders on extortion with the cities they play in. LA can support two teams but the Chargers will have to convince LA they are there to stay. Also didn’t the Chargers start in LA back in the AFL days?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

NFL QB is more important than any other single position in any major team sport though. The great player in the NBA is arguably more important but it's not like you're drafting for a specific position there. Goalie's important but fungible in the NHL. Starting pitching has gotten less important in baseball by the year, though the World Series this year could well be a throwback.

re: Rosen I don't know what his deal is, though it seems like he got the short end of the stick in both places without a real chance. Most QB's get more than one year with the team that drafted them before getting traded off to maybe the worst case of NFL tanking in thirty years at least. He didn't have much chance of success on a bad team in year one last year, he's got zero chance of success with a historically bad team in year two.

I also don't get why Miami even bothered to trade a two for Rosen if they were just gonna burn Rome around him and set it up to get their real QB next draft.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Jones just had a decent run for the Giants, but he was able to get about 4 yards more than he should have.

Was it poor tacking? Confusion on defense? A blown assignment?

No, it was because the 3 Cardinals in the area were all literally "afraid" to hit him.

#TodaysNFL

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The stupid of Kyler Murray running out of bounds on third down was only surpassed by the stupid of whoever the Giants returner was that took the ball out of the endzone and lost thirteen yards of field position and seven seconds on the clock.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
The stupid of Kyler Murray running out of bounds on third down was only surpassed by the stupid of whoever the Giants returner was that took the ball out of the endzone and lost thirteen yards of field position and seven seconds on the clock.

And it would have looked worse on the scoreboard if the guy who recovered the blocked punt didn't get there before the guy who spent about 12 seconds out of bounds landed on it.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I highly doubt this is true given that he just got sat the **** down by Miami. Miami...
If Mayfield ends up with 12 td's and 30 int's - which is roughly what he's pacing at - with the offensive weapons he has they'd be absolutely foolish not to if one of those guys is one the board. Then again it is Cleveland.
They took him first overall a year ago, they're not taking any of the big guys this year. His offensive line is atrocious. They're not cutting bait on him yet.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The NFL borders on extortion with the cities they play in. LA can support two teams but the Chargers will have to convince LA they are there to stay. Also didn’t the Chargers start in LA back in the AFL days?

They spent 1 year in LA before moving the San Diego, but no one paid attention to the first year of the AFL so it was like they never spent time there.

The LA issue is more than any other league the NFL is national in scope and you have a generation of fans who have been able to easily follow and cheer for other teams from elsewhere. The Rams will grow a fan base because they do have history with some of the old timers and were the first team back.

The Chargers are a mess because you are basically asking LA fans to root for a San Diego team, which is the cities main city rivalry (it would be like the Sixers moving to Newark). Plus, the Raiders still have fans in the area from their fly by night stay in the 80’s and the Chargers are their chief rival. So that former non-Ram fans aren’t going to adopt the Chargers either.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I cant believe the Saints were +170 for this game. Before I bet, I kept thinking, WHAT am I missing that they're that much of a long-shot? Starting to look like easy money.

My3Sons

Sponsor
The Saints went on the road to a tough place to play against a good team without Brees Kamara their tight end and several other depth players. I expected two halves like the first one. If NO keeps this up when Brees returns and they finish in one of the two top NFC spots Payton should merit serious consideration for coach if the year.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad