OT: 2019 NFL and NCAAF thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You did.

Was Tannehill just bad or just handcuffed by Gase?

Tannehill isn't a bad QB. He isn't a good QB either but the is passable

He really looked promising in Gase's first year in 2016 but then the injuries ruined his development.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I follow football but not to the Length I do hockey. I follow zero college ball. That being said maybe someone can help.

how is it that nfl teams don’t carry a legit backup qb? Every team should have a bridgewater type guy. Don’t think either if bridgewater got a starting job somewhere he would be lights out he isn’t that type of qb. Just nuts imo that teams don’t backup the most vital position in the game.

Which brings me to my other part. Why isn’t there more quality qbs in the nfl? Some of these guys are legit horrible. Not just guys taken in the later rounds but a lot of first round busts. So why isn’t college ball which is big big money turning out better qb players? Is college that much different?

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I follow football but not to the Length I do hockey. I follow zero college ball. That being said maybe someone can help.

how is it that nfl teams don’t carry a legit backup qb? Every team should have a bridgewater type guy. Don’t think either if bridgewater got a starting job somewhere he would be lights out he isn’t that type of qb. Just nuts imo that teams don’t backup the most vital position in the game.

Which brings me to my other part. Why isn’t there more quality qbs in the nfl? Some of these guys are legit horrible. Not just guys taken in the later rounds but a lot of first round busts. So why isn’t college ball which is big big money turning out better qb players? Is college that much different?

It's kind of the same reason why there aren't that many Sidney Crosbys in the NHL. The game is very slow to them. They see the play developing before everyone else. They're a rare breed.

In college, some teams run a pro offense realizing that the recruits they want are on a trajectory to play pro ball (The SEC). Teams that aren't going to get that pedigree are going to whatever it takes to win. They're much less inclined to groom QBs for the pros.

If you're not going to run a pro offense, you're going to take advantage of the lack of speed of many college defenders. So you see lots of spread offenses. Tim Tebow comes to mind. Tebow was a linebacker playing QB, so they're not working on his accuracy in practice. They're practicing the read option. Other QBs are going to be told to read a couple of routes, then run for your life.

It doesn't help that college coaches are telling the QBs what to do while in the huddle. They're not forcing the QB to saddle the responsibility for thoroughly understanding the playbook, understanding coverages, reading blitzes, etc. So if they get to the pros, they don't have the skills necessary to succeed.

You might see better QBs if the NFL had a minor league system. But there's no way that's happening unless college ball disappears tomorrow.

For backup QBs, part of the problem is cap related. It's hard to keep a backup QB if they're asking $3-5M/yr, especially if they're not even on the field. I think a guy like Bridgewater could be a starter, but I think he'd rather be a backup on a good team than a starter on a shitty team. Luckily for him, Brees got hurt and now gets to lead QB a team with weapons, as opposed to the NYJ, who have nothing.

Another problem is that there are only so many reps in practice. They're going to give the reps to the starter. The backup will probably runs 7 on 7's (no lineman) with the taxi squad which is why you see backups having more chemistry with the nonstarters when pressed into service. I'm surprised that the NFL hasn't employed more technology to groom backup QBs to get them the reps necessary to understand pro defenses behind a virtual O-line.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Maybe Jets should sign Bridgewater back in the offseason. He’s looking solid for NO. 3-0 as a starter.

the Saints have an incredible offense and one of the best coaches in the NFL. Teddy ain't all that. Darnold is better and has a higher ceiling.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

playing QB in the NFL is as much intellect as physical. Why else are two of the best QBs in their 40’s? No other pro sport has that. The ability to do what they do as fast as they do is remarkable. Keeping track of 11 guys on defense and your own guys is insanely hard. Then you have to be able to deliver the ball in a very small window.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
LOL this is every bit as bad as the noncall that enabled replay for PI in the first place, worse since the remedy was intentionally ignored.

Reactions: tr83

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The overturned Penn State touchdown might be one of the worst replay review overturns I've ever seen.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Even if this Jet season is gonna be in vein after the 0-4 start it's nice to see them look like a real team this week and Darnold having a tangible impact. Draft pick or not, I'd sign up for 8-8 with Darnold lighting it up at this point, not that they're gonna get back to that - at least one win this week would be nice though lol

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Even if this Jet season is gonna be in vein after the 0-4 start it's nice to see them look like a real team this week and Darnold having a tangible impact. Draft pick or not, I'd sign up for 8-8 with Darnold lighting it up at this point, not that they're gonna get back to that - at least one win this week would be nice though lol
Today may be your day. Unfortunately our NHL team plays at 1:00 PM tomorrow so your happiness may not be long lasting!

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Jay Glazer already came out this week saying Gase is back next year anyway. Seems he gets a pass given the circumstances this year. (Not that I agree)

So happy Sam is back.

There was no way barring 1-15 or worse that Gase was getting fired this year, not after he got to fire the GM and pick his replacement.

Now it seems like Gase is overcompensating for being a conservative hermit this week lol, not a single run on three downs up two scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->