GDT: 2019 IIHF U18 Tournament

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’m really curious where we have Boldy on our boards.
If we draft him I am not going to be upset. Problem is with US team is that so many great kids and someone going to be bust but it is very hard to see who is because team playing great hockey

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Caufield is ridiculous. He just got his 8th of the tournament already, tied Matthews for the 2nd most goals by an American in a U18...an this is his 3rd game.

Honestly, this guy is going to creep his way into the top 10 at the draft. Someone is going to take him early.

Last edited:

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Caufield is ridiculous. He just got his 8th of the tournament already, tied Matthews for the 2nd most goals by an American in a U18...an this is his 3rd game.

Honestly, this guy is going to creep his way into the top 10 at the draft. Someone is going to take him early.
I would take him if we trade down.

Reactions: lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You'd take Brink over Caufield? Really? All Caufield does is score. His goal scoring ability is ridiculous right now, and he literally scores every game he plays in regardless of what game it is.

Yes, he was dominant in the USHL all year and has a more diverse skill set.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013

There’s #9

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
There’s #9

Yeah, ridiculous. I don't care that he's one-dimensional, all he does is score goals. I'd be in favour of dropping back a few spots, adding a late first, and picking Caufield. I'm honestly really intrigued at how high he will go. I don't even think I'd be mad if we took him at 6.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, ridiculous. I don't care that he's one-dimensional, all he does is score goals. I'd be in favour of dropping back a few spots, adding a late first, and picking Caufield. I'm honestly really intrigued at how high he will go. I don't even think I'd be mad if we took him at 6.

I think he could go to Edmonton to play with McDavid

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I feel like we have to temper the US hype here a little bit, too. They're playing very well, but it's also a huge advantage to be able to bring your existing team in that's been playing together all year.

They're much better in the U-18s than the U-20s for a reason.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Well, Hughes, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte, York do augment each other as someone else above alluded. Which is to say, one or two could have inflated numbers and may be busts. Zegras tends to be on a line with Hughes; Boldy and Turcotte tend to be on a different line together (athough, I'm not sure if that is the case at this particular tournament).

I rate the US forwards Hughes > Turcotte > Boldy > Zegras. However, I would rank Krebs (WHL; Canada) between Boldy and Turcotte. I'm really interested in comparing Dach and Krebs at the combine. I'm not sure Detroit will get a chance to draft Cozens or Turcotte. If Podkolzin doesn't show he belongs among the top five prospects, then those two will likely get drafted earlier than previously estimated.

Reactions: hkydave04
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Well, Hughes, Zegras, Boldy, Turcotte, York do augment each other as someone else above alluded. Which is to say, one or two could have inflated numbers and may be busts. Zegras tends to be on a line with Hughes; Boldy and Turcotte tend to be on a different line together (athough, I'm not sure if that is the case at this particular tournament).

I rate the US forwards Hughes > Turcotte > Boldy > Zegras. However, I would rank Krebs (WHL; Canada) between Boldy and Turcotte. I'm really interested in comparing Dach and Krebs at the combine. I'm not sure Detroit will get a chance to draft Cozens or Turcotte. If Podkolzin doesn't show he belongs among the top five prospects, then those two will likely get drafted earlier than previously estimated.
I don't think anybody's really a bust, but this specific performance we're seeing is a little inflated compared to players who aren't lucky enough to be on such a stacked, comfortable team. And I think the latter is the bigger of the two. It's one thing to play with the same team all year, and it's quite another to just be thrown together as you're eliminated from the playoffs.

Reactions: DetroitRed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad