GDT: 2019 IIHF U18 Tournament

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
How does he compare to Bertuzzi then? Gritty in a different way?

Not a similar player to Bertuzzi. Hes just not soft out there its hard to describe I guess. Bertuzzi is a pest and will fight and stuff like that. Rees is more of a guy that will finish checks and give you the stick the odd time. Definitely more of a skilled player than gritty but hes just not soft. Maybe something like Larkin kinda? He'll finish a hit and if he gets mad at someone hes fought the odd time or hacked at people but its not an obvious part of his game unless you watch quite a bit

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Only two games in, but Turcotte is picking up right where he left off. I am starting to think Turcotte wont be available at 6th. Podkolzin hasn't really shown that he should be drafted in the top ten. If this keeps up, I'd expect Byram, Turcotte, and Cozens to be gone before 6th pick. It could come down to Dach, Krebs, Zegras or maybe Boldy for he Wings. If I had to narrow it down, I would guess it is likely between Krebs and Dach.

Last edited:

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Liking Krebs more and more think I would change my vote to him now

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Smart player with lots of speed, never understood all the people that weren't fond of him

We are getting a gamer at 6 regardless of how the first 5 picks go. Was bummed to not get a top 2 pick but we are in a great spot at 6. If Podko goes top 5 we will have a tough choice between Byram/Cozens/Turcotte/Krebs/Dach as 3 of those 5 will be available

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Boldy is defiantly exploding too. I know he's a winger, but I've always preferred Boldy over Zegras. However, if it's between Boldy and Krebs I would probably pick Krebs.

Reactions: ZDH

Christien

May 1, 2010
We are getting a gamer at 6 regardless of how the first 5 picks go. Was bummed to not get a top 2 pick but we are in a great spot at 6. If Podko goes top 5 we will have a tough choice between Byram/Cozens/Turcotte/Krebs/Dach as 3 of those 5 will be available
For sure, lots of great players when we pick.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Just imagine if our new GM can work some magic and land more than one of them... ;)

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Just imagine if our new GM can work some magic and land more than one of them... ;)
If you look at history Yzerman drafting, other than Kucherov and Palat, nothing special. At his first draft he got Brett Connolly #6 overall, I don't even heard his name.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I love his trades and negotiations, but not his drafts. Holland did better job, or we have better scouts.

He took cal Foote who’s suppose to be good,Cirelli is a good piece,paquette really good bottom line guy

He used his 1sts and prospects to get McDonough,Miller,sergachev

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
If you look at history Yzerman drafting, other than Kucherov and Palat, nothing special. At his first draft he got Brett Connolly #6 overall, I don't even heard his name.

I love his trades and negotiations, but not his drafts. Holland did better job, or we have better scouts.

Since Yzerman took over in Tampa there are very few teams that have a better player development system in place and Detroit is not one of those teams. Yzerman was named GM of the Botls on May 25th, 2010 and IIRC he had little to no impact on the draft selections in that season. His first real draft was 2011 where he found 3 NHLers, Namestinkov, Kucherov, and Palat; in 2012 he drafted 2 more NHLers, Vasilevskiy and Paquette; in 2013 he draft 2 more, Drouin and Erne; 2014 he drafted 2 more, Point and DeAneglo; and 2015 there have been at least 2 more NHLers, Cirelli and Joesph, with upwards of 3 or 4 being the final. The other drafts are a little to early to judge but 2016, 2017, and 2018 appear to have at least 1 NHLer in each draft as well. Over the same period we really just have Mantha, Bertuzzi, Larkin, Janmark, and AA; though you may be able to add Hronek, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, and others from the 2018 draft to that list in the coming years.

The thing I find most impressive was that TB was able to be successful in both the early rounds as well as the later rounds and they were able to sign good UDFA such as Gourde, Johnson, Marchessault, and Barre-Boulet. All have developed into top 6 players or look like they will be that type of player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Since Yzerman took over in Tampa there are very few teams that have a better player development system in place and Detroit is not one of those teams. Yzerman was named GM of the Botls on May 25th, 2010 and IIRC he had little to no impact on the draft selections in that season. His first real draft was 2011 where he found 3 NHLers, Namestinkov, Kucherov, and Palat; in 2012 he drafted 2 more NHLers, Vasilevskiy and Paquette; in 2013 he draft 2 more, Drouin and Erne; 2014 he drafted 2 more, Point and DeAneglo; and 2015 there have been at least 2 more NHLers, Cirelli and Joesph, with upwards of 3 or 4 being the final. The other drafts are a little to early to judge but 2016, 2017, and 2018 appear to have at least 1 NHLer in each draft as well. Over the same period we really just have Mantha, Bertuzzi, Larkin, Janmark, and AA; though you may be able to add Hronek, Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, and others from the 2018 draft to that list in the coming years.

The thing I find most impressive was that TB was able to be successful in both the early rounds as well as the later rounds and they were able to sign good UDFA such as Gourde, Johnson, Marchessault, and Barre-Boulet. All have developed into top 6 players or look like they will be that type of player.
Drouin at #3 vs Larkin at #14.Who do you choose.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I have nothing against his drafts , just please don't get overexcited.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Drouin at #3 vs Larkin at #14.Who do you choose.

Point at #79 or Larkin at #14?

I don't think many people would have thought twice if Drouin had gone anywhere from 1-4 in 2013. As well, nobody would have reasonably projected Larkin to be better pre-draft than Drouin. So if its straight up "On Draft Day" then I'm going to take Drouin every time.

Would Yzerman like to swap the Drouin pick for Jones or Monahan? Perhaps, but Drouin is still a top 6 winger with elite upside should everything fall in place. Just because Drouin didn't develop as expected it doesn't make him a bad pick. Good processes should lead to more good outcomes, but it doesn't mean there won't be any bad outcomes. One poor outcome for a top 3 pick doesn't invalidate the rest of the drafting success TB had under his guidance.

Reactions: TheMule93

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Brink and Zegras added to USA for the game against Russia.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

This type of willful ignorance is only going to get you flamed - I don't understand why you'd dig in about something you're so objectively wrong about?

Reactions: TheMule93

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Koekkoek the 8th D off the board at 10 is pretty questionable as Filip Forsberg went 11. Drouin anyone would have picked, he was so good just didn't continue to progress much at all after the draft.

*Thought this was the draft misses thread

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->