GDT: 2019 IIHF U18 Tournament

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Didn’t say he was did I? I said it would be dissapointing if he were , he hasn’t really started yet
Agree ,I probably to exited about Caulfield, but because we drafted Zadina and Rasmussen we better get defenseman or playmaker this draft

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Caufield with 2 more. This is getting silly...He's going top 10 for sure in my mind. All he does is score. I see Buffalo or Edmonton taking him at 7 or 8.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Caufield looks like he could be a Kane/ Gaudreau/ DeBrincat style player in the NHL - though I don't know if he will be quite as high end at carrying the puck as those guys. I'm more commenting on his offensive IQ and the innate goal scoring skill.

The confidence and ease in his release is really impressive

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Caufield looks like he could be a Kane/ Gaudreau/ DeBrincat style player in the NHL - though I don't know if he will be quite as high end at carrying the puck as those guys. I'm more commenting on his offensive IQ and the innate goal scoring skill.

The confidence and ease in his release is really impressive

I don’t think those guys score goals similarly at all, and I don’t think Caufield can do nearly as much as Kane or Gaudreau.

He’s definitely another DeBrincat, don’t really see anyone else he is similar to IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
I don’t think those guys score goals similarly at all, and I don’t think Caufield can so nearly as much as Kane or Gaudreau.

He’s definitely another DeBrincat, don’t really see anyone else he is similar to IMO.
A young 40 goal scorer? Where do I sign? I would trade down and grab him if Byram is off the board.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A young 40 goal scorer? Where do I sign? I would trade down and grab him if Byram is off the board.

I was talking about stylistically, obviously you can’t guarantee he will have the exact same impact just because they are the same size and they play similarly.

There are risks with this player. Candidly I think trading down for him would be a terrible idea. You have to hedge with players like him which is why he won’t go in the top 10 (not even sure top 15).

Last edited:
Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Newhook can fly for sure... nice heads-up play by Rees to get him the puck.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Heavily relying on you two to do some good scouting today.

giphy.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Newhook can fly for sure... nice heads-up play by Rees to get him the puck.

Hes definitely helping his draft stock this tournament. Hes dynamic out there. Watching him play with Cozens on the other wing, I think Newhook looks better. Its a small tournament but Cozens isnt having a good tournament. I'm starting to lean away from him but we'll see. I liked him the one time I saw him in the regular season.

The Czechs look surprisingly good today. Canada is going to have to up their game here. They've been a bit sloppy.

That second period was all Canada now though. One of the more dominant priods I've seen in the tourney.

Harley has been underwhelming this tournament. If somebody's out of position, it's probably him.

The exact guy I was coming into this thread to comment on. I dont see it either. He seems like a lot of tools (big, great skater etc) but he makes some bad pinches and weir decisions. I'm flip flopping on Korzcak as well. Hes a guy I've been thinking could be a good pick in the second round but man sometimes his puck skills look pretty weak. Trouble receiving passes and making some odd choices in the offensive end and then another shift he walks the blue line and gets heavy shot through that makes me think he could develop into something pretty solid.

I think if Rees or Tomasino are around in the second still, I wouldnt be happy with a Korzcak pick. I dont want to call him a pitbull but Rees would be awesome to have with Bertuzzi on a different line in the top 6. Tomasino is dynamic and could be a game breaker.

That call on Cozens is one of the more puzzling penalties I've ever seen.

Brutal reffing this entire game. The call on Cozens, the early boarding calls. Sometimes IIHF reffing makes game absolutely horrible to watch

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Watching these U18's they really do look like kids... this is why the draft isn't a science. All these players we are salivating over and there will always be overlooked hidden gems. You never know how any of these players will develop..You have to get very lucky to draft a generational player let alone even a star regardless where you are picking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad