OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part III – Danny Dimes and Sammy Spleens Edition

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
image4061139x.jpg

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
"The 27-year-old Beckham has been on the injury report throughout this season for what has been termed hip and groin injuries and has regularly been a limited practice participant since early on during training camp, sitting out all four of Cleveland's preseason games. In his first year with the Browns, Beckham is also having the worst statistical season of his career, excluding his injury-riddled 2017 one with the New York Giants.
On Sunday against the Bengals, Beckham was quiet again, finishing with only two catches for 39 yards, his seventh consecutive game without topping 100 receiving yards, the longest such streak of his career."

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
"The 27-year-old Beckham has been on the injury report throughout this season for what has been termed hip and groin injuries and has regularly been a limited practice participant since early on during training camp, sitting out all four of Cleveland's preseason games. In his first year with the Browns, Beckham is also having the worst statistical season of his career, excluding his injury-riddled 2017 one with the New York Giants.
On Sunday against the Bengals, Beckham was quiet again, finishing with only two catches for 39 yards, his seventh consecutive game without topping 100 receiving yards, the longest such streak of his career."
That's probably more reflective of the incompetence of Freddie Kitchens than anything else.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The Jets would be a game back in the NFC East right now.

Going to be something to see a 7-8 win Philly or Dallas host 11-12 win Seattle in the wildcard game.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's probably more reflective of the incompetence of Freddie Kitchens than anything else.

He's just not the same player. Say what you want about DG, but we did well trading the guy. I thought he was a shoe in HOFer now he'll be forgotten pretty quickly after he retires.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
He's just not the same player. Say what you want about DG, but we did well trading the guy. I thought he was a shoe in HOFer now he'll be forgotten pretty quickly after he retires.
I don't know that I can agree with that (either shoe in HOFer or quickly forgotten). There's a lot of guys ahead of him even when he was with the Giants and only 13 were selected in the last 20 years regardless how things play out for him. But I think a mediocre Baker Mayfield and incompetent coaching can do a lot to derail the performance of a good player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It won't matter if we don't finally get a competent head coach.

This is true, though I think the next coach might find things a little easier to build upon with legit, young, high-end talent in place.

The Giants will almost certainly have a new coach, and their work cut out for them. But they also won't be trying to build around Ereck Flowers and Eli Apple either.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
We've reached the point in the season where I find myself not wanting the Giants to win another game and instead ensure they come away with Chase Young in 5 months.

Now that Jones isn't playing I'm fully on board with losing every game. Maybe win 1, if it has no implications on draft position.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Now that Jones isn't playing I'm fully on board with losing every game. Maybe win 1, if it has no implications on draft position.

And I'll fully admit that part of the allure this draft is coming away with the kind of player I've personally coveted for a while.

Watching both Bosa brothers, Chubb, Allen and Garrett come off the board on draft day (and in some cases when the Giants had a pick), has really whet my appetite to come away with Young.

It's not just a need, it's also a desire as well.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Lose 3, win 1 would have no effect on our draft pick assuming the Bengals lose out. 3 of the last 4 opponents are divisional so it would be doubly in the Giants interest to lose those games. Secure a top 2 pick while also hurting divisional rivals' draft picks.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
You have to figure that the Bengals and Dolphins are going to take QB's in April. The Giants are in the clear to get Young as long as they don't finish ahead of anyone else.

If the past couple of drafts are any indication, its that Gettleman isn't afraid to take his guy even if it's off the board a bit. Even though Young would be a slam dunk, I could see Gettleman enamoured by Lamb or Jeudy.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This guy is delusional. He's had no impact whatsoever. Atrocious trade by Gettleman.

Gettleman's pro moves are some of the worst I have ever witnessed in such a short time. Truly abhorrent. The Williams trade was moronic and squandered sorely needed draft capital.

And his drafting looks poor as well. The SB pick is going to go down as terrible as he will never hit his potential without the proper offensive line in front of him. Carter is being misused. Hill is looking like a goner. Ximanes has not looked good. Baker looks awful. Lawrence looks serviceable, but is that what you want in that spot instead of an offensive lineman!?

Woof.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You have to figure that the Bengals and Dolphins are going to take QB's in April. The Giants are in the clear to get Young as long as they don't finish ahead of anyone else.

If the past couple of drafts are any indication, its that Gettleman isn't afraid to take his guy even if it's off the board a bit. Even though Young would be a slam dunk, I could see Gettleman enamoured by Lamb or Jeudy.

The pick should be either Young or Thomas. No other player should be considered. If we have someone ahead of us who takes Young, you then take Thomas. It's really that simple. Lamb or Jeudy, as good of prospects as they are, would be more draft malpractice by Gettleman.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm also of the mind that WR's are way overvalued in terms of draft position the same way running backs are relative to their contributions to winning teams. Teams win today with good QB play, a pass rush, OL protection of the QB, and run stopping.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'm not saying the Jets are any good, but the moment Williams got off this team, they actually started to look decent. More snaps for our other interior linemen and they've actually played fairly well. The guy wants to be paid like he's a superstar without the superstar production. Teams pay for sacks and pressure and he does neither. Good run stopper though.

The 3rd and a 5th will go a long way into building the depth the Jets need to acquire. The talent level drops off so much after the starters. Should be able to help address these needs with having 2 3rds and you the extra 5th is another dart throw. Could double up on a lot of things, especially OL help.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not saying the Jets are any good, but the moment Williams got off this team, they actually started to look decent. More snaps for our other interior linemen and they've actually played fairly well. The guy wants to be paid like he's a superstar without the superstar production. Teams pay for sacks and pressure and he does neither. Good run stopper though.

The 3rd and a 5th will go a long way into building the depth the Jets need to acquire. The talent level drops off so much after the starters. Should be able to help address these needs with having 2 3rds and you the extra 5th is another dart throw. Could double up on a lot of things, especially OL help.

Williams is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Still cannot believe we traded such a high third rounder to you guys for him.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Williams is one of the most overrated players in the NFL. Still cannot believe we traded such a high third rounder to you guys for him.

Easily. He got outplayed by an UDFA rookie. Phillips and needing to get Q Williams on the field more lead to this move. Plus he was bad. So happy the Giants bit on that. How did they not know how bad he was? The dude legit plays in the same building as you do. The media reported how he was not worth it anymore and needed to be moved. Yet Gettleman thought that giving up a 3rd and a 5th was appropriate.

Remember, an UDFA ROOKIE was better than him. Anyone could have signed the guy the Jets did and got a better performance than Leo Williams. Whoever gives him any contract is going to be underwhelmed.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Sometimes you roll your eyes at the concept that certain fans can do a better job as GM then the person actually in the position.

And then there’s Gettleman...

Reactions: ponzu4u

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
We've reached the point in the season where I find myself not wanting the Giants to win another game and instead ensure they come away with Chase Young in 5 months.

Which means this is the perfect time for Eli to come back, win us 3-4 meaningless games against bad teams, lose out on drafting Chase Young and meanwhile get stuck with Shurmur for another season...

Man, the Knicks and Giants are really making me more negative than I'd like to be these days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad