OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part III – Danny Dimes and Sammy Spleens Edition

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
This is like asking "How many teams have won SBs with guys who I said can't win SBs?"

I'm gonna guess your answer is always zero!
My point is that you don't need an all pro caliber receiver to win in the NFL. Particularly ones that have major personality flaws that negatively affect team comradery.

Reactions: ponzu4u

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
My point is that you don't need an all pro caliber receiver to win in the NFL. Particularly ones that have major personality flaws that negatively affect team comradery.

While I wont disagree with your first sentence at all, just looking at the poster boys for prima WRs...Plaxico didn't stop the Giants from winning the SB in 07. Moss was an integral part of the Pats team that went to the SB the same year. TO was also a huge weapon on that 04 Eagles team that lost a close SB to the Pats.

For us fans, are they annoying as hell? Yep. For their teams can they be more trouble than they're worth? Sometimes, but you surround them with a good team and their talent wins out. Antonio Brown is a nut but the Steelers record with him as their 1WR is undeniable.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

You don't necessarily need one, but to act like an all-pro WR doesn't help is a bit much. That's like saying you don't need an all-pro QB bc Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and the ghost of Peyton won Super Bowls. Sure, you'd be right, but you certainly have a much better shot with one.

Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Plaxico off the top of my head. Plenty more were integral in getting to the super bowl. Owens, Moss, Julio Jones, and I think you can put a guy like Gronk in that conversation with Edelman.

That's not to say a mentally ill guy like AB or a distraction like OBJ can't be a detriment. Would you honestly say Hopkins, Julio Jones, and Michael Thomas aren't serious contributors?

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
You don't necessarily need one, but to act like an all-pro WR doesn't help is a bit much. That's like saying you don't need an all-pro QB bc Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and the ghost of Peyton won Super Bowls. Sure, you'd be right, but you certainly have a much better shot with one.

Michael Irvin, Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, and Plaxico off the top of my head. Plenty more were integral in getting to the super bowl. Owens, Moss, Julio Jones, and I think you can put a guy like Gronk in that conversation with Edelman.

That's not to say a mentally ill guy like AB or a distraction like OBJ can't be a detriment. Would you honestly say Hopkins, Julio Jones, and Michael Thomas aren't serious contributors?

Isaac Bruce was the furthest thing from a distraction. Guy didn't say two words, he just played football. Torry Holt was no diva either, he just played with a huge smile on his face.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Isaac Bruce was the furthest thing from a distraction. Guy didn't say two words, he just played football. Torry Holt was no diva either, he just played with a huge smile on his face.

I didn’t mean that they were all “divas” just that all-pro WR’s are very key parts of winning teams. I get the idea of divas being an issue but I felt the original poster was diminishing the role of high end WR’s in general saying you don’t need them hence my QB example. I could’ve added Marvin Harrison to my list - another non diva. Sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Obviously I want no part of AB ever, and I’d have to see major growing up from OBJ. At the same time some divas - TO, Moss, Irvin were really successful although I never really wanted any part.

Lousy writing on my part, sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boris Zubov

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Sad times when Powell has been way better than Bell this season. Also looks like Gase is utilizing his backs now that Bell is out. What a prick lol.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
The way things are going without Bell, really can't help but think he's gonna get traded in the offseason.

Gase didn't want him and you can see just from this game. I'll take whatever we can get if the coach doesn't want him. Maybe could get a 2nd at this rate.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The way things are going without Bell, really can't help but think he's gonna get traded in the offseason.

Gase didn't want him and you can see just from this game. I'll take whatever we can get if the coach doesn't want him. Maybe could get a 2nd at this rate.
A 3rd at best

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Learned a new football rule today. No pass interference on fake punts.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
welp 10 minutes til we play new england

my heart is already in my throat
Please win or make it a good game. would be nice to see New England sweat a little knowing they won't get the luxury of having every single freaking playoff game at home.

Reactions: Maximus

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Just a brutal Jets win, what a waste.

Hopefully they lose their next three.
They are a such a tease if they won last week against a terrible Bengals team they would have at least had a little hope in making the playoffs now (like the team I root for the Broncos) they are losing out on a top 5 pick and not making the playoffs...albeit Lock did look good today ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad