2019 Entry Draft Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Jost had a better draft year and he still went #10 in a deep draft, let's hope the BCHL factor scares off a few teams and he drops a bit. Tbh i think we'd need to trade up to like #10 or #11 at the very least to draft Newhook tho. TSN/McKenzie also has him at #20 which is another good sign for us (even tho it could not mean much as well, we saw that with Kotkaniemi last year).

There is a lot more buzz around
Newhook now than there was around
Jost''s draft year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Open question: who is the best power forward in this draft?

IE: who is the meanest, most physical guy who also pulls his weight offensively?

IDK
Hughes, Kakko, Byram, Dach, Tucotte, Cozens, Podkolzin, Krebs, Boldy, Soderstrom, zegras are all guaranteed to go before we pick
I also think its very likely a 2nd defenseman gets picked in the top 14 (Broberg or Heinola)

So thats 12 players, with Caufield and Newhook still available, and 2 teams picking before us.

Gotta think there will be 1 surprise pick, probably knight, brink or kaliyev going before us, or even the 2nd of Broberg/Heinola.

That means Caufield or Newhook would fall to us

Definitely hope so!

Agreed that there will be a surprise - how many people had Hayton at #5 the day before last year’s draft?

Jost had a better draft year and he still went #10 in a deep draft, let's hope the BCHL factor scares off a few teams and he drops a bit. Tbh i think we'd need to trade up to like #10 or #11 at the very least to draft Newhook tho. TSN/McKenzie also has him at #20 which is another good sign for us (even tho it could not mean much as well, we saw that with Kotkaniemi last year).

Hope he drops for sure, probably not going to hold out too much hope though. Either way, we’re going to pick up a great prospect - the top end of this draft is solid.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Open question: who is the best power forward in this draft?

IE: who is the meanest, most physical guy who also pulls his weight offensively?

Definitely hope so!

Agreed that there will be a surprise - how many people had Hayton at #5 the day before last year’s draft?

Hope he drops for sure, probably not going to hold out too much hope though. Either way, we’re going to pick up a great prospect - the top end of this draft is solid.
Like actual bruiser that fights and hits? Or big guy that drives the net and can play physical?

Anyway, probably Poulin to all those questions.

Reactions: Vachon23

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Like actual bruiser that fights and hits? Or big guy that drives the net and can play physical?

Anyway, probably Poulin to all those questions.

Fighting’s so much less common in junior now, but yeah - hits, drives the net, wrecks people physically. Who’s the one guy that a D man does not want to see coming in hot on the forecheck?

(But can play offensively)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Fighting’s so much less common in junior now, but yeah - hits, drives the net, wrecks people physically. Who’s the one guy that a D man does not want to see coming in hot on the forecheck?

(But can play offensively)
Poulin, as Ive said. Lavoie on a good day...

I have a hard time of thinking of another one though. Cozens maybe? What about Nolan Foote? Havent seen a lot of him, I know hes slow but...

Holmstrom can be a handful to contain because hes strong as hell and a big body.

Grewe is somewhat of a wrecking ball.

Podkolzin and Boldy can he a handful.

Man theres actually not a lot of them, and most of them dont actually fit the criteria.

Maybe Moynihan? Hes a big boy with good skating.

Theres no Tkachuk for sure.

Reactions: covfefe

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

I have a hard time of thinking of another one though. Cozens maybe? What about Nolan Foote? Havent seen a lot of him, I know hes slow but...

Holmstrom can be a handful to contain because hes strong as hell and a big body.

Man theres actually not a lot of them, and most of them dont actually fit the criteria.

Legaré

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Nolan Foote is interesting, i think he's a good pick past the 3rd. I'd understand if some team reached for him in the 2nd tho.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
A big 6’3 players with 36 goals, you need to consider him at the end of the 2nd round

Yea McKenzie actually has him ranked in the 1st, didn't know that. He's probably gonna be an early 2nd, Bob's list is always fairly accurate. Early/midd 2nd = not for me tho. Late 2nd MAYBE depending on who's available.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
In what way did Jost have a better draft year? I don't get to watch BCHL games so I'm just a stat watcher, but Newhook lead the league by almost twenty points while Jost didn't even lead his team. Granted their statistical production was very close. Personally I think Newhook has answered too many questions this tourney and I doubt he'll be there at fifteen...... But I'm always looking for reasons to be optimistic lol.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
In what way did Jost have a better draft year? I don't get to watch BCHL games so I'm just a stat watcher, but Newhook lead the league by almost twenty points while Jost didn't even lead his team. Granted their statistical production was very close. Personally I think Newhook has answered too many questions this tourney and I doubt he'll be there at fifteen...... But I'm always looking for reasons to be optimistic lol.

A lot of people were talking about having Jost in their top 5 in the draft, look up posts here and in the media. To say Newhook has buzz now and Jost didn't is just ridiculous.

Same time during Jost's draft Bob had him at #13, Newhook's at 20. Both had great U18's in their draft year as well. Let's not forget about how stacked 2016 was, especially compared to this year.

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-mid-season-draft-ranking-topped-by-big-three-1.435206
https://www.tsn.ca/it-s-still-the-jack-hughes-draft-1.1246625

Jost only moved up 2 spots in Bob's final list: https://www.tsn.ca/matthews-goes-wire-to-wire-as-tsn-s-top-prospect-1.511597

That said this is a much weaker draft as well so Newhook could jump way more.

Last edited:

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
A lot of people were talking about having Jost in their top 5 in the draft, look up posts here and in the media. To say Newhook has buzz now and Jost didn't is just ridiculous.
I agree there was alot of buzz for Jost, I was just looking for insight into their draft seasons, from a stat point of view it appears that Newhook is in a different level, but I don't have any context into those stats.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Foote he has never shown much of a physical side to his game.

Yeah, I’m thinking in the Tkachuk/Wilson mold - not sure if that player is around this year.

Dillon Hamaliuk nearly fits the profile, but he’s not very mean, and he’s been out most of the year

atrud66

Tank Tabarnack
Aug 5, 2014
Montreal
Foote he has never shown much of a physical side to his game.

Yeah, I’m thinking in the Tkachuk/Wilson mold - not sure if that player is around this year.

Dillon Hamaliuk nearly fits the profile, but he’s not very mean, and he’s been out most of the year

How about Beecher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad