2019 Entry Draft Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
So, now that he's gone in the mock we can talk about him: Holmstrom is a very interesting option if he falls to our 2nd. He's soft in board battles, but his skill game is very mature. I haven't followed his U18 (he's been very good apparently), but SuperElit was too low a league for him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Foote he has never shown much of a physical side to his game.

Yeah, I’m thinking in the Tkachuk/Wilson mold - not sure if that player is around this year.

Dillon Hamaliuk nearly fits the profile, but he’s not very mean, and he’s been out most of the year
I think Poulin fits it. He's intense and does the whole driving the net with his shoulder down a whole lot, he hits and fights but sometimes hes not intense enough.

So, now that he's gone in the mock we can talk about him: Holmstrom is a very interesting option if he falls to our 2nd. He's soft in board battles, but his skill game is very mature. I haven't followed his U18 (he's been very good apparently), but SuperElit was too low a league for him.
I love the way he uses his size to gain the middle over and over. Haven't really seen if he's soft in the corners, but thats kinda weird as Ive seen him be pretty physical for space offensively.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Nolan Foote is interesting, i think he's a good pick past the 3rd. I'd understand if some team reached for him in the 2nd tho.

Yeah, I think he falls like Matthew Strome did last year. Big and slow doesn't get drafted high these days. Like Strome, a good pick in the 4th round.

Foote he has never shown much of a physical side to his game.

Yeah, I’m thinking in the Tkachuk/Wilson mold - not sure if that player is around this year.

Dillon Hamaliuk nearly fits the profile, but he’s not very mean, and he’s been out most of the year

I have a name for you but I want to draft him in the Mock, so forget it. My next pick isn't til mid 4th round. If he goes before then I'll let you know.

I'll add that there's no one really like Wilson in the 1st round, with the exception of Poulin. Wilson was a 1st round pick and I don't see anyone being a player like that in the 1st. There are some interesting power forwards in this draft. Poulin, Beecher, Spiridonov and Pinto have been taken and they're all physical beasts. There's some more out there.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Ethan Keppen could be an option. He's flying under the radar in Flint, whom we've picked from before with Will Bitten.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Open question: who is the best power forward in this draft?

IE: who is the meanest, most physical guy who also pulls his weight offensively?

Podkolzin is not mean, but very tenacious (a big Gallagher with better hands/shot), can't get to him unfortunately. He makes me think of a young less talented Forsberg the way he plays (always on).

Boldy is probably what you are looking for here.

A our spot:
Poulin has a little edge, but its probably not meanest that will be available at our pick/BPA.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Im afraid that the Habs wont be able to help themselves an draft lavoie if hes still at the 15th pick. Good or bad, that could mean we would pass up on players such as Soderstrom, Newhook, and Caufied if they are ofc still available.
I really hope we trade another first. That would quench my fears in a big way.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
J-P Glaude scout from the Preds had really good words on Lavoie this morning on TVA Sport. He said that Lavoie really want to make the difference on the ice and how he is playing right know in the playoff is a good sign that he is ready to be an impact player in the futur.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
J-P Glaude scout from the Preds had really good words on Lavoie this morning on TVA Sport. He said that Lavoie really want to make the difference on the ice and how he is playing right know in the playoff is a good sign that he is ready to be an impact player in the futur.
Obviously wants to put pressure on the habs to draft the local boy leaving a better player for them

Smells like Leblanc

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
^Not a nutcase like Wilson/Tkachuk but Spiridonov is a freak in the corners.

I love him. He's not having a great u18s, but everything is there for him to be an impactful mid-6 player. Like Beecher, I think he can carry a 3rd line. Both are very Jared Staalish in their 2 way play, but also in their understanding of how to maximize their reach. Either one would be great.

We be very lucky if Broberg is available at #15

He'll be gone before 15. Like I said in the u18 thread, too big & too good of a skater not to go top 12. He can exit a zone like Morgan Rielly. He has IQ issues but someone will view him as the Swedish Parayko.

Looks like Leafs 1st rounder will now be 21-23. Pretty decent player will be available for Kings to go with Grundstrom and Durzi for Muzzin.

Definitely. Maybe we can convince them to trade it to us? Would love an additional pick in this range.

What he's doing in the playoffs, well, scouts love to see that. Big & skilled just inconsistent. I think he's better off in another organization. There would simply be too much media drama involving his dad. I think Bergevin/Molson understand that.

Obviously wants to put pressure on the habs to draft the local boy leaving a better player for them

Smells like Leblanc

Uh, well, that's a really cynical view!

Reactions: Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I love him. He's not having a great u18s, but everything is there for him to be an impactful mid-6 player. Like Beecher, I think he can carry a 3rd line. Both are very Jared Staalish in their 2 way play, but also in their understanding of how to maximize their reach. Either one would be great.

He'll be gone before 15. Like I said in the u18 thread, too big & too good of a skater not to go top 12. He can exit a zone like Morgan Rielly. He has IQ issues but someone will view him as the Swedish Parayko.

Definitely. Maybe we can convince them to trade it to us? Would love an additional pick in this range.

What he's doing in the playoffs, well, scouts love to see that. Big & skilled just inconsistent. I think he's better off in another organization. There would simply be too much media drama involving his dad. I think Bergevin/Molson understand that.

Uh, well, that's a really cynical view!

I agree with you that I think the best for him is to be drafted elsewhere but in the other way, he is exactly what we need, a big power forward who is a naturel scorer. I talk to some person that know him this week and I just had positive comment on him. He is really liked in the Halifax room. I don’t know what to pick think about him right know. I will wait the Memorial Cup and the combine to make a real idea on him

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I agree with you that I think the best for him is to be drafted elsewhere but in the other way, he is exactly what we need, a big power forward who is a naturel scorer. I talk to some person that know him this week and I just had positive comment on him. He is really liked in the Halifax room. I don’t know what to pick think about him right know. I will wait the Memorial Cup and the combine to make a real idea on him

I agree. It's a tough situation for the organization. They will have to do their due diligence.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I had 20 minutes free so I decided to test a theory I had. I looked at the draft picks from the years 2006 to 2013 inclusive and selected those picks that played a substantial amount of time in the NHL. Quality of play was not a factor. The amount of games was. So for the year 2006 I placed a minimum of 500 games and decreased it by 50 games for each year. So 2007 it would be 450, 2008 it would be 400 so on and so on. That was for skaters. For goalies I played it by ear.

I didn't want to go earlier than 2006 because the international talent pool wasn't as strong as it is today and I didn't go past 2013 because any later and the prospects didn't have time to develop.

My finds:

From the 2nd till the 7th round in all those years 1440 players were picked. Only a 162 made any kind of mark on the NHL. That's 11%. Of those 162, 64 were picked in the 2nd round. That's 64 of 240 2nd rounders played the minimum number of games . That's 26 % of 2nd rounders made the minimum.

So what does this prove. In my mind two things

1) Picks should be converted to first round picks or 2nd round at worst. Anything else is a crap shot. If you subtract the 2nd rounds from the numbers above you'll find you'll have an 8% success rate on picks from the 3rd to the 7th round.
2) Trading established players for draft picks is a losing proposition if they're not 1st or 2nd round picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27 and atrud66

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I won’t lose sleep if we select him.....I know this board would implode.......I'd just rather Newhook/Heinola/Harley.

Some say Poulin might even be better but at 15 it’s too early........

Gonna have to trust the habs brass on this one.

But hey, having a 6’4 RW with skill wouldn’t hurt at all

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Smells like Leblanc

We need to be careful with Lavoie but it would be a shame if we pass up on him and he turns into a top 6 power forward. Issue Lavoie is going to face is the same as Mantha. It will take time before he is NHL ready. Skating and edge work need to improve. He has a NHL shot already and his play making and vision for a winger is decent.

Very curious to see how he looks in the Memorial cup against tougher D. He scored another goal last night and picked the corner. He's surprising me more and more as these playoffs continue.

Reactions: jaffy27

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
We need to be careful with Lavoie but it would be a shame if we pass up on him and he turns into a top 6 power forward. Issue Lavoie is going to face is the same as Mantha. It will take time before he is NHL ready. Skating and edge work need to improve. He has a NHL shot already and his play making and vision for a winger is decent.

Very curious to see how he looks in the Memorial cup against tougher D. He scored another goal last night and picked the corner. He's surprising me more and more as these playoffs continue.
Seemed he had taken a dive recently but now is back in the conversation......he has been producing and I’m sure our scouts are ALL OVER his series

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

We all see it the same with Lavoie. Risky pick but has the potential to be a very good pick if he reaches his ceiling. He has history of scoring big goals and the issue is his regular season was a bit of a disappointment in terms of taking the next step from last year. We also need to realize he is one of the oldest in this draft so we need the scouts to figure out if he topped out or does he have a lot more room to grow from where he is today.

He classifies as the power forward type but doesn't really play that type of game. He's a strong boy but his focus is scoring goals and production.

Seemed he had taken a dive recently but now is back in the conversation......he has been producing and I’m sure our scouts are ALL OVER his series

He missed the NHL draft last year by like 4 or 5 days I believe. Based on his 17/18 season, he might of went top 10 and most definitely top 15 IMO in the 2018 NHL draft. We expected him to take a step forward this season and his regular season was alright but no better than the previous one. However, he has clearly stepped up his game in the playoffs and is very dangerous on the offensive end. He already has a NHL shot but with his current skating, he will get smothered and his time and space would be an issue when he turns pro

The biggest question is how much better can he get or has he topped out and may improve a bit here and there but what we see right now is pretty much what we get? This is the major question. If he has not grown and improved substantially from his 17/18 season, can he take big steps forward next year in the Q and then when he turns pro? :dunno:

Honestly, I like him a lot and he's on my target list but not at the top of the list.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Lavoie may be big but a powerforward he is not.

He's better than Poulin by a mile

Still wouldn't take him at 15, this organization can't handle guys with suspect families.

By power forward I mean a big guy that can crash the net not necessarily a guy that will hit because I know Lavoie is not mean

Reactions: jaffy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany