2019 Entry Draft Thread Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By power forward I mean a big guy that can crash the net not necessarily a guy that will hit because I know Lavoie is not mean

The thing with Lavoie is he is very tough and can be mean but this is not how he plays. I have no doubt in my mind that whoever drafts him ask him to work at his power forward game. He is not the best skater so he needs every advantage he can get at creating time and space for himself once he plays against men.

He lives on his NHL shot and his play making is solid. Rest of his game needs a lot of work if he is going to turn into a top 6F in the NHL.

If we could land either Newhook, Caufield or Broberg.... I would be happy.

I think the probability one of them is still on the board at 15th. Question is who is Timmins and his scouts going to target. I think they go after skating/skill combo. They clearly made this a focus in last years draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm now a Newhook believer. He's pass the U18 eye test and I think he has moved to #1 on my target list ahead of Dorofeyev.

At this stage, I doubt Newhook slips to us at 15th.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
The thing with Lavoie is he is very tough and can be mean but this is not how he plays. I have no doubt in my mind that whoever drafts him ask him to work at his power forward game. He is not the best skater so he needs every advantage he can get at creating time and space for himself once he plays against men.

He lives on his NHL shot and his play making is solid. Rest of his game needs a lot of work if he is going to turn into a top 6F in the NHL.
Sounds a lot like Tenderness....was big but was as mean as a tadpole

Heinola is very underwhelming. I know he's good, but wished he would show more. Turnover over turnover.
Against the Yanks he looks bad

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think those top 11 forwards are all going to be gone. Just a matter of whether you take the next forward or take the top LD on your board.

I think Podkolzin could be the forward that falls to our pick if any though, he's been very quiet this tourney, and of course the Russian factor comes into play.

Reactions: Frank JT

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Heinola is very underwhelming. I know he's good, but wished he would show more. Turnover over turnover.

I am no longer interested in Heinola...his skating is average... hockey IQ is okay.... I say, let some other team pick him.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I think those top 11 forwards are all going to be gone. Just a matter of whether you take the next forward or take the top LD on your board.

I think Podkolzin could be the forward that falls to our pick if any though, he's been very quiet this tourney, and of course the Russian factor comes into play.

If Podkolzin falls to 15, you pick him and you run out of the building.

Anybody remember how Tarasenko was ranked prior to his draft? Was he ever considered top 3-5 but actually fell to 16.

I know KHL threat was peaking back then..

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Let's put Heinolas tourney in perspective.

He played all year against men (historically well actually) and in the U20s before his injury.

Players go through dips in performances, its a normal process and his just happens to be at a time with more viewership.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Thats stupid scouting

Heinola.... doesn't stand out....he is closer to being another Olli Matta or Joelivi...at 15, there will be better choices available....
I am think your love of Russian players is stupid... Dorofeyev or Podolzin... I would prefer Jamison Rees over Podolzin.... Podolzin is no Tarasenko, no Malkin....closer to Grigorenko....
who barely lasted in the NHL.

Let's put Heinolas tourney in perspective.

He played all year against men (historically well actually) and in the U20s before his injury.

If he played with men in Finland, he should be dominant playing with guys his own age....which he isn't.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
@Mrb1p sold me on a player that outright sucked this tournament......

But it is 1 tournament.....I’m guessing this hurts his stock a little

It's weird, but he was excellent at the WJC for the Gold winning Fins. One of their top Ds. And, he did that as a 17 year old in a 19 year old tournament.

Reactions: jaffy27

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If he played with men in Finland, he should be dominant playing with guys his own age....which he isn't.

Yes, and Kotkaniemi should have been dominant at the rookie tourney, but he wasnt. Somehow, he made it through the year ok before needing a cleanup in his knee.

This dip should be raising other questions, as it's not what you'd expect. He's young, was injured and played hard minutes in a hard league. Other factors could be at work.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Thinking about Zegras, I think he might be a bit overrated.

He is a rather similar player to Pelletier. Playmaking complementary winger with no significant holes in his game, but with no real strength either apart from good playmaking.

Swap these two players and I think their production would be very similar either with the USDTP or in the Q.

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
Thinking about Zegras, I think he might be a bit overrated.

He is a rather similar player to Pelletier. Playmaking complementary winger with no significant holes in his game, but with no real strength either apart from good playmaking.

Swap these two players and I think their production would be very similar either with the USDTP or in the Q.

Zegras is a very good player....though
playing with elite skilled players like Hughes and Caufield...elevates his overall standing.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I've seen enough of what Heinola can do against polished pros that I'm not too concerned with a short junior tournament.
It's important to put it in perspective with what a player's done throughout an entire season. Tournaments like these are particular circumstances, it'd be misguided to base alot of your perception on them. Pettersson's rubbish play on the international stage was constantly brought up at the time of his draft. The people who did watch him against much better competition in Allsvenskan however, weren't bothered by it for a reason.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad