2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think were at least getting an extra first this year.

Ever since the three win streak, the teams been treading water and its been open season in the slot. Everyones playing full throttle and we barely hang on. Were bound to drop soon and that means some guys are going to be traded at the TDL,
The only way I see us getting that extra first is by trading Petry since Juulsen steals his spot. I don't think we will trade Tatar. Also, we still have two seconds to move up from. Last draft I would have been against trading up after Smith got drafted, but this time I kind of support it. Also here is hoping that Plekanec can miraculously get us another 2nd.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
For the 13090230923rd time, I'd love to add a bubble first rounder for Tatar or Petry... Imagine landing a top ten this year or next, yeahhhhhhh.

Can't see Tatar getting a 1st rder - at least not an early one. Our own pick is likely to be 9-17 range barring a miracle lottery win. Same with Petry more likely late 1st, but yeah, I'd take a top 10 next year too.

Hard to say who all will be in that 9-17 range, but I figure Boldy and Zegras, for sure. Lavoie.

If we can get a late 1st there are more than a few quality Europeans we could take in the 20-25 range and then the 2 seconds. We have the opportunity to keep adding talent in this draft.

With two 4th and two 5th rounders I'm thinking it's a good time to take another goalie too. They take such a long time to develop.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Can't see Tatar getting a 1st rder - at least not an early one. Our own pick is likely to be 9-17 range barring a miracle lottery win. Same with Petry more likely late 1st, but yeah, I'd take a top 10 next year too.

Hard to say who all will be in that 9-17 range, but I figure Boldy and Zegras, for sure. Lavoie.

If we can get a late 1st there are more than a few quality Europeans we could take in the 20-25 range and then the 2 seconds. We have the opportunity to keep adding talent in this draft.

With two 4th and two 5th rounders I'm thinking it's a good time to take another goalie too. They take such a long time to develop.

Wingers with Tatars production and up usually net 1st rounders. Top 9 centers, top 4Ds and top 6 wingers are basically a rule of thumb of what you can expect nets you a 1st.

A smart GM would trade Petry and Tatar in the next two years if this team plays at the level I'm expecting (bottom 10).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

Really? I think Tatar can get a mid 20s 1st+2nd if he scores around 50 points. I also think Petry can get a mid 1st straight up right now. Nevertheless, 3 1st 2 2nds(maybe 3 if we get lucky with Plekanec again) sets up a fantastic draft year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The only way I see us getting that extra first is by trading Petry since Juulsen steals his spot. I don't think we will trade Tatar. Also, we still have two seconds to move up from. Last draft I would have been against trading up after Smith got drafted, but this time I kind of support it. Also here is hoping that Plekanec can miraculously get us another 2nd.

I wouldn't have traded up, but I'd have been happy to see the team move a roster players for one of Alexeyev/Berggren or even Miller.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I wouldn't have traded up, but I'd have been happy to see the team move a roster players for one of Alexeyev/Berggren or even Miller.
I'm just not sure what we could have given up for a chance at Alexeyev. I'll use Alexeyev since I was crazy high on him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm just not sure what we could have given up for a chance at Alexeyev. I'll use Alexeyev since I was crazy high on him.

Well, personally, I wouldn't have trade Galchenyuk for Domi. He, Pacioretty and Byron would have been my choices for extra firsts. Petry if he'd have accepted to waive his NMC.

Heck, I'm open to trade Price/Weber.

I don't see how we couldn't have added a first if we wanted to.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Deep in averageness. Wait until teams like Washington and Pittsburgh get going and when the play gets tighter, the team goes on roadtrips, plays back to backs...we'll see what the roster really is made of, which isnt much.
Sure, but depth is huge in this league, having what could be considered three second line (average ones) and Price ,in this league will get you in the bubble spot. I'm not advocating for the PO's, I'm saying I expect Bergevin to go for it, kinda like your argument about him and Galchenyuk back before he was traded.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well, personally, I wouldn't have trade Galchenyuk for Domi. He, Pacioretty and Byron would have been my choices for extra firsts. Petry if he'd have accepted to waive his NMC.

Heck, I'm open to trade Price/Weber.

I don't see how we couldn't have added a first if we wanted to.
I'd rather have Suzuki rather than a late 1st. Domi instead of a late 1st. Petry instead of a late 1st because maybe Juulsen struggles a lot this year and we would have literally no top 4 rhd.

I will 100% agree about Byron though(totally forgot because of his extension).

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Thats why moving Tatar to a bubble team, for a 2020 pick is a good gamble, IMO. A team like Edmonton or the Flames or something like that, I don't know. There's a chance they win the division, but theres also a chance they finish bottom 5.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd rather have Suzuki rather than a late 1st. Domi instead of a late 1st. Petry instead of a late 1st because maybe Juulsen struggles a lot this year and we would have literally no top 4 rhd.

I don't know about Suzuki.. Not the biggest fan of his. I agree about Domi though, you'd have to luck out considerably to get a better return than that with a first rounder... I mean he was a solid top 15 pick himself.

I think Petry was managed right, his value is probably crazy high ATM, higher than it was even last year... Not expecting Bergevin to smarten up though.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't know about Suzuki.. Not the biggest fan of his. I agree about Domi though, you'd have to luck out considerably to get a better return than that with a first rounder... I mean he was a solid top 15 pick himself.

I think Petry was managed right, his value is probably crazy high ATM, higher than it was even last year... Not expecting Bergevin to smarten up though.
You'd rather have a late 1st instead of Suzuki? What?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I don't see it as a "late first". I see it as it as the player who's available. If I'm taking this to the extreme, then the worst (or best?) example of this is turning Busthart into a mid-first, i.e. Barzal.

Whether you prefer Suzuki or Domi is fine. We didn't know Suzuki would be ours by that point however and any deal involving Pacioretty would have us getting some sort of other compensation back. I wouldn't have cared for roster players coming back, so the deal would've been easier to make.

As for Domi. Like I said, its the player coming back and whether the deal can get sweetened by other assets. I might have given the late first as an example, by I really think Galchy could've netted a top 15 pick if he got us Domi. Maybe something with the Islanders could've been done and we'd be looking at Dobson in our pipeline.

Petry I would have traded straight up for Alexeyev without a seconds thought.

Like I said, I prefer looking at targeting players, because its the whole point, to add a guy you want. There would have been a huge difference for me to get pick 13 instead of 12, yet both are "early mid firsts".

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Thats why moving Tatar to a bubble team, for a 2020 pick is a good gamble, IMO. A team like Edmonton or the Flames or something like that, I don't know. There's a chance they win the division, but theres also a chance they finish bottom 5.

We'd have to pull a Colorado and that means finding a desperate team. Edmonton is a good call, but I do think they're actually an improving team, especially on D.

We definitely need a 2nd 1st rder this year. I'd like to take a forward with one and a LHD with the other. There are some interesting D out there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't see it as a "late first". I see it as it as the player who's available. If I'm taking this to the extreme, then the worst (or best?) example of this is turning Busthart into a mid-first, i.e. Barzal.

Whether you prefer Suzuki or Domi is fine. We didn't know Suzuki would be ours by that point however and any deal involving Pacioretty would have us getting some sort of other compensation back. I wouldn't have cared for roster players coming back, so the deal would've been easier to make.

As for Domi. Like I said, its the player coming back and whether the deal can get sweetened by other assets. I might have given the late first as an example, by I really think Galchy could've netted a top 15 pick if he got us Domi. Maybe something with the Islanders could've been done and we'd be looking at Dobson in our pipeline.

Petry I would have traded straight up for Alexeyev without a seconds thought.

Like I said, I prefer looking at targeting players, because its the whole point, to add a guy you want. There would have been a huge difference for me to get pick 13 instead of 12, yet both are "early mid firsts".
Well I mean just because you and I are both huge fans of Alexeyev doesn't mean that the Habs(and other teams) were. I agree that it's the opportunity to draft Alexeyev, but I can seriously see Bergevin drafting a Veleno which would have been disappointing. Barzal was ranked in the top 10 by everyone IIRC, but Alexeyev varied from mid 1st to mid 2nd by different scouting agencies. Also, it's not like our drafting in the late 1st has been any good. It's actually been awful.

We did't know that Suzuki would have been available, but I would have been patient with the Pacioretty situation just like Bergevin was.

Trading Petry without Weber coming back seems like a very risky move. The defense would only consist of bottom pairing dmen and prospects with very little nhl experience. Anyways, I think Petry's value is even better than last year right now.

I agree, it's about where you rank the players that come into play, not the pick you would trade for. With the Habs awful draft record in the late 1st, history would have not been in our favour for them to choose a good player.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
We'd have to pull a Colorado and that means finding a desperate team. Edmonton is a good call, but I do think they're actually an improving team, especially on D.

We definitely need a 2nd 1st rder this year. I'd like to take a forward with one and a LHD with the other. There are some interesting D out there.
It always depends whats out there for me. I wouldnt mind going all forward in the first, really load up there. Miracles can be done with 2nd and 3rd rounders for Dmen.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Welp, it depends what first, in what year, and when it's acquired.

Would I rather have Poehling or Vesalainen or Hague or Timmins or Alexeyev instead of Suzuki ? I think so.
I personally wouldn't. Also keep in mind that you are getting Suzuki after seeing his d+1 year. I seriously doubt that you predicted ALL of these guys d+1 year and knew that they were better than Suzuki.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
It always depends whats out there for me. I wouldnt mind going all forward in the first, really load up there. Miracles can be done with 2nd and 3rd rounders for Dmen.

I think this draft will have some quality D in that 20-30 range again. We missed out on that in 2018 draft. I think D overall do better in that range than forwards with some exceptions. For sure really depends who's there, but ideally I'm looking at D. It's still a need.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think this draft will have some quality D in that 20-30 range again. We missed out on that in 2018 draft. I think D overall do better in that range than forwards with some exceptions. For sure really depends who's there, but ideally I'm looking at D. It's still a need.
I doubt he goes that late, but I'm fully on the Cam York train. Kokkonen looks sweet as well.

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad