2019 Entry Draft Thread: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I doubt he goes that late, but I'm fully on the Cam York train. Kokkonen looks sweet as well.

Too many quality righties in this draft. What's up with that? Used to be all left-handers. I mean Korczak will probably be a stud, RHD. Germany has a good young D in Moritz Seider, RHD.

But, yeah, York would be a blessing.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He should be killing it right now and he isn't. Not sure what's going on.

Two things from I've seen:

1. Though he's still making many of the high quality plays he did last year, he's also trying to out-skill teams. Some of the games I've watched, half the things he was doing weren't translatable and ended up simply wasting time before giving up the puck. Now, he's not as bad as Drouin there since he's much more skilled and he's at least doing other things well.

2. Less line chemistry with Zegras. They don't complement each other very well, even if both are pretty high smarts players. He benefits from Hughes, but not much the other way around.

His defensive game has me worried though, I haven't seen improvement here, which is what I'd have wanted to see instead of trying to make highlight of the night type plays. Working on translatable plays and a good defensive game would have him a solid 1st OA pick.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think this draft will have some quality D in that 20-30 range again. We missed out on that in 2018 draft. I think D overall do better in that range than forwards with some exceptions. For sure really depends who's there, but ideally I'm looking at D. It's still a need.

Maybe if teams don't believe in Soderstroms offense, he goes 20-30. And, if he does, I hope we have a pick there. He's just... excellent.

Heh, who am I kidding, guy is going high. Hes just too skilled and his game is too mature for his age.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acadien86

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Maybe if teams don't believe in Soderstroms offense, he goes 20-30. And, if he does, I hope we have a pick there. He's just... excellent.

Heh, who am I kidding, guy is going high. Hes just too skilled and his game is too mature for his age.

He's also, yet, another rightie, but Soderstrom and Korczak if you have a chance to draft them you overlook that.

There's also Thomas Harley.

Alex Vlasic is currently ranked anywhere from 15-30 and I don't know why. He lacks foot speed and just general footwork ability. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of offensive upside, and isn't particularly a good defensive D either.

He's going to fall out of the top 2 rounds. I mean Adam Samuelson started out late 1st-2nd rounder and crashed all the way down to 6th round.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Can't see Tatar getting a 1st rder - at least not an early one. Our own pick is likely to be 9-17 range barring a miracle lottery win. Same with Petry more likely late 1st, but yeah, I'd take a top 10 next year too.

Hard to say who all will be in that 9-17 range, but I figure Boldy and Zegras, for sure. Lavoie.

If we can get a late 1st there are more than a few quality Europeans we could take in the 20-25 range and then the 2 seconds. We have the opportunity to keep adding talent in this draft.

With two 4th and two 5th rounders I'm thinking it's a good time to take another goalie too. They take such a long time to develop.

Hamonic is a no.4D and got a 1st and 2 2nds. I doubt the Flames thought they were giving up 12th OA and so I figure they thought that 1st would be around 20thOA. Add the 2 2nds and that would likely bring you up to 15thOA in terms of what they thought they were paying for Hamonic.

Schneider, a goalie, albeit a very good one, with one year before he was to go UFA scored the Canucks 9th OA.

Petry is a very good 3D. I would assign a value to him in the bottom of the top 10, so 8, 9, 10, if we were getting back just a 1st. That would give us about a 40-50% chance of drafting a top 6F or top 3D. Otherwise I think his value is a real good young D prospect with top pair ceiling plus a 1st around 20thOA.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's also, yet, another rightie, but Soderstrom and Korczak if you have a chance to draft them you overlook that.

There's also Thomas Harley.

Alex Vlasic is currently ranked anywhere from 15-30 and I don't know why. He lacks foot speed and just general footwork ability. Doesn't seem to have much in the way of offensive upside, and isn't particularly a good defensive D either.

He's going to fall out of the top 2 rounds. I mean Adam Samuelson started out late 1st-2nd rounder and crashed all the way down to 6th round.

Yeah, I have Vlasic as a late rounder at best. He's just not good enough defensively and doesn't have the skating to help him offensively. Good reads on offense but man is he limited.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Saying this with the preface of only reading about him and never seeing him play (and seeing he is 6’4).....would Raphael Lavoie be a good pick for us in the 14-18 spot?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Saying this with the preface of only reading about him and never seeing him play (and seeing he is 6’4).....would Raphael Lavoie be a good pick for us in the 14-18 spot?

Its always touchy this early in the year, but yes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Not a fan personally. By the time I'll want to draft him, he's going to be gone for sure, and by the time he will be picked, there will be better players around.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

saw him once and thought he looked good but I was only half paying attention. He's a late birth date, so he'll be a 1 and done in the Q.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

For the time being, at 14-18 he's a steal, he has the potential to play at C in the NHL (and he has all the attributes you want in a dominant modern day forward/center). Still have to see how he progresses throughout the year but he looks good thus far.

But yea as mentioned it's really hard to judge prospects (takes a lot of viewings to get a really good read of a player), i went from loving Sergachev in his draft year early to middway into the season to being meh on him towards the mid-point/end of his draft year. He still shows signs of the things that a lot of us were worrying about him in his draft year.

Last edited:
Reactions: dralaf

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Tough to keep the hype going for Turcotte when he's injured.
I'd still be pretty comfortable picking him high, hopefully he drops if we're out of range of the big bois.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't think Kournianos has a clue on what he's doing.

Tough to keep the hype going for Turcotte when he's injured.
I'd still be pretty comfortable picking him high, hopefully he drops if we're out of range of the big bois.
I swear its a blessing in disguise for the team that will pick him. Kinda like Galchy fell to three and people thought Yakupov was better.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Mooseheads fan that watches Lavoie's game a lot! I like Lavoie, I actually think he would be a very good piece on the right side of Kotkaniemi. The kid is a beast and is very strong but I think the measure here is how good of a skater is he in the NHL.

Habs lack shooters and Lavoie is a shooter. I actually think we need shooters on the LW though. After Drouin, it dries up. Lehkonen can play both wings but his scoring ability is limited.

However, Lavoie fits. Big strong winger that can score. Think of him like a John Leclair type. It's been a very long time we had a power forward like this. Gallagher is the closest but he is a small player that plays with heart.

Should be interesting to see his pre-draft ranking come May/June and what pick the Habs have.

Reactions: CoopersFalls
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad