Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Marner is simply not a person that wants to get his hands dirty. He wants to be like Marleau and have a career without injury. Do some fancy plays, rack points and highlight reels.

Alexander Semin
None of our top paid guys do, it aint just Marner. Matthews and Nylander a little better in that department but not much. Tavares has a good work ethic and isnt afraid to go to the dirty areas but still lacks a certain jam/attitude/swagger.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I can only imagine how much good will Marner and Marner Camp would earn in this city if he just said “I haven’t been nearly good enough, nobody knows that as much as me… and will do everything in my power to do x, y, z… to get this team closer to the Stanley Cup” instead of the “it’s Willie’s fault”, “it’s the media’s fault,” “wasn't my guy”
etc.
This can not be understated. Huge part of my disdain was the lack of awareness and accountability by the players that mattered the most. The two that did take responsibility for their part are now gone. Lets see what happens with the non responsible/deluded (we are right there) 4.

Reactions: Gabriel426

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Him staying in Toronto is a good outcome it means the Leafs get to keep a great player and that's a good thing.
LOL. "Great" regular season player.

Honeslty I really dont think he gets traded. For all the talk of wanting offense and needing offense, trading a young gifted offensive player doesn't make sense.

I can see Treliving focused on getting a coach that will absolutely make Mathews, Nylander and Marner play a different style in the playoffs though

I think its Tavares who goes instead
Denial. Marner fans are consumed with it. He's gone, dude.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Maybe if we had players who strived for going deep in the playoffs as a team, instead of compiling individual stats, we'd actually go somewhere in the playoffs for a change. If I want to see individuals perform, I'll watch badminton.
It kind of surprised me how much I enjoyed watching the leafs play without Marner. Matthews showed me a different/better side to his game. Other players had bigger roles and they seemed much much more of a team than just the core 4.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Some act like we're ditching Wayne Gretzky here. You seriously think Marner's playoffs will improve under a new coach? l have a bridge to sell.
A new coach shouldn't have to motivate him to take a hit to make a play or to help his teammates in scrums or to go to the dirty areas of the ice. That isn't coaching.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
It kind of surprised me how much I enjoyed watching the leafs play without Marner. Matthews showed me a different/better side to his game. Other players had bigger roles and they seemed much much more of a team than just the core 4.
Team played well without Mathews and Riely as well. Imagine how good we will be with all 3 gone and just carry on with the guys that carried us through those games

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Honeslty I really dont think he gets traded. For all the talk of wanting offense and needing offense, trading a young gifted offensive player doesn't make sense.

I can see Treliving focused on getting a coach that will absolutely make Mathews, Nylander and Marner play a different style in the playoffs though

I think its Tavares who goes instead
Offense in the PLAYOFF, not the core4's offense in the 82 games.

Can any coach teach them that?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wouldn’t say I don’t care, after all I do watch and do hope we win but yeah I care about the regular season more than most. I think we just were run poorly and coaches couldn’t adjust to situations and it appeared they just left it to the players. Funny but even during the regular season I remember reading several times”cmon zkeefe call a timeout. He probably had nothing to say so why bother. lol!

You certainly would know more than I, doNHL coaches influence the way the team plays or do they just leave it up to the guys and let them wing it. I think we were a wing it team.
As the games get bigger, Marner plays less like a star and more like a groggy turtle. I'm having a hard time pinning that on Keefe myself but you go right ahead. I'm not a fan of Keefe by any means but in this abysmal stretch of playoff failures with this core, I'd say that Keefe has coached much better than the players have played. He can't go out there and score for them, not much else to say.

Some act like we're ditching Wayne Gretzky here. You seriously think Marner's playoffs will improve under a new coach? l have a bridge to sell.
Yup.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
His plastic face is kinda weird...
What was also weird to me was his whole manner of speaking and his attitude. He seemed upset, like Marner was his son or something and the way he talked, he came across like a cross between Carlo Coliacovo and Jennifer Botterill, just weird.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
What was also weird to me was his whole manner of speaking and his attitude. He seemed upset, like Marner was his son or something and the way he talked, he came across like a cross between Carlo Coliacovo and Jennifer Botterill, just weird.

lf he's so upset, maybe Oates should help Marner find a new team.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
It's tough. I think Marner is a fantastic talent but in the end they've already tied up Nylander and Matthews. I'd be surprised if Tavares was traded but you never know.

They could find a way to still get Marner in there too cap wise but the end of the year presser was enough that I think he's long gone. Also.... I know to some it's no big deal but you can't make those god comments in Toronto. I know what he was trying to say but for me it came out all wrong.

In Toronto you really need some character guys that can play but actually know how to talk to reporters. Domi was a good example of that these playoffs.

I hoped Marner being from Toronto could figure it out but I just don't see it anymore. He's unreal and we'll never get full value now at this point but it seems he's most likely gone.

They need a different look and I think doing that and getting a couple good D man and moving on from a couple other guys. Letting some youth come in and getting another chippy forward. That's what I'd like to see.

They've had way too many seasons. I expect by mid July to see a pretty big shake up one way or another.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Yep, it's lazyness.
Its grit and compete level. Hockey is a tough sport.. Crosby, the best player in the world, once slashed a players pinky off which was gloved. We just saw Mcdavid, today's best player, instigate a playoff scrum and eat a crosscheck to the face.

We've grown accustomed to watching our 11 million dollar player standing 10 feet from scrums, falling under the lightest taps, and he's afraid to even make eye contact with an agitated opponent. Marner wants to be paid top dollar and walk away with his health. Can't blame him, but that's very difficult to do and have success in the playoffs.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Its grit and compete level. Hockey is a tough sport.. Crosby, the best player in the world, once slashed a players pinky off which was gloved. We just saw Mcdavid, today's best player, instigate a playoff scrum and eat a crosscheck to the face.

We've grown accustomed to watching our 11 million dollar player standing 10 feet from scrums, falling under the lightest taps, and he's afraid to even make eye contact with an agitated opponent. Marner wants to be paid top dollar and walk away with his health. Can't blame him, but that's very difficult to do and have success in the playoffs.

The only thing Marner would eat during a playoff game is a hot dog. l don't care if we barely get anything in return. The team needs a reset, and it should start with him.

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I think paying all of them a bit less wouldn't neccessarily do much. I don't think it's the contracts, it's the players themselves. Marner at 9-9.5 changes nothing, ditto with matthews at 10 or nylander at 6. They simply can't show up when it matters. We aren't 1-2 depth pieces away, we aren't a goaltender away, we aren't a defencemen away. We gave up 16 goals on a goalie, scored 12 ourselves. Our goalie gave us 1 goal against in the final game of regulation and we couldn't score more than boston. Add hyman and nothing changes.

I'm starting to believe you might not be able to win with matthews at the top. He might be a barkov level player, someone who needs to be dragged into the game by a tkachuk and get outshined by someone like that. In leafs dreams that would be nylander, but he isn't that calibre either, idk where you find someone like that

I do expect Nylander to be better, he showed he can be for 70 games, i don't need or expect 110 points, he's not that good, but I should be able to expect 95 points.

Everyone says depth wins cups, but stars have to lead the way, and ours just don't
BINGO!

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The only thing Marner would eat during a playoff game is a hot dog. l don't care if we barely get anything in return. The team needs a reset, and it should start with him.
One of the most patheric sights was the play where the Leafs were mucking it up 4 vs 6 in Bostons crease while he watched from 30 feet away...then suddenly tiny Marchand sees him and skates all the way up to him and Marner looks like he's going to piss himself and he looks at the ref looking for help as Marchand $%$#s wirh him. Same thing happened the year before vs Panthers when Reilly got filled in from behind after the whistle and Marner tried to skate by the ensuing scrum but was pushed back into it by Tkachuk. Lol what a joke of a teammate, and he wears and A!

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Well if he is, he must be weak. If it were me I’m staying the entire season. lol. Boo all you want.
No smart GM will allow his cancer to spread further. If he decides not to waive he will bring the whole team down and the season will be over after 20 games. Is that what you want?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Zone entry is him and Matthews and then Nylander and Tavares on the blueline on entry, it isn't just him.

I don't feel like he touches the puck a notable amount more on the PP than anyone else, maybe I am mistaken though.

Our PP (and failure), seems more like a group effort than a single guy.

I don't know if the tougher competition is accurate, but the Pastrnak thing and the PP are. He is a part of the failure, but I think he is being targetted as the reason everything is going wrong, and I think he is a small reason, not the entire reason.
Matty stands still waiting for the puck instead of moving around.
JT stands off to the side of the slot looking for a rebound or deflection instead of screening.
Mitch stands in the corner looking to make the impossible pass to Matty.
Mo doesn't have a dangerous shot (unless someone is screening).
Willy stands at the point passing it back and forth with Mo and Matty and occasionally shooting at an unscreened goalie.
Neither Woll not Sammy ever join the rush.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad