2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I’m so torn on taking a D in the 1st. If we are convinced the guy is top 4 material, great, and my limited viewings of Seider, Heinola, York and Soderstrom do support that thought. But I’m seeing a lot of intriguing D ranked outside of the 1st:

- Korczak
- Johnson
- Kolyachonok
- Misyul
- Knyazev sp?
- Bolduc
- Johansson
- Ahac
- Zach Jones
- Spence
- Fairbrother

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a gap between those guys and the D ranked in the 1st. But I feel that gap is smaller than it is for the draft’s comparably-ranked forwards. Just something I’ve been mulling over...think I saw b1p mention something similar
It's not so much the gap as that forwards are more predictable. You look at production and it gives you a pretty good idea. Goalies are voodoo, defencemen are not well evaluated at any level.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It is always L.A. because they have 2 firsts and a high 2nd. They have the currency to move up, it is that simple.

Yeah I get that, but unfortunately they have given away so many picks recently that I doubt they will be wanting to move up.... you never know I guess. I think the Avs may want to move up if Knight is still there and we start to take offers on the pick.

philipsson

Jan 12, 2014
Philly is really high on Boldy but with Knight being available at #11 i could see them finally getting there franchise goalie.......now with that being said, lets say Boldy drops to #15. If i was the GM of the habs i would call Fletcher up and make this offer.....
To Philly.....pick#15, Shaw and Byron
To Mtl....Gostisbehere, Ratcliffe

Just playing armchair GM.......can hardly wait for Friday night

Would never do this tbh, i'll take Boldy and cry from happiness

Lol at the Tomasino love while shrugging off McMichael. McMichael is a much better goalscorer than Tomasino. McMichael has better production when you account for team and his tools are just flat out more impressive.
McMichael had really bad comments by the scouts in the Black Book, probably the player who got picked apart the most.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: habsfan891

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Lol at the Tomasino love while shrugging off McMichael. McMichael is a much better goalscorer than Tomasino. McMichael has better production when you account for team and his tools are just flat out more impressive.

Nobody's saying McMicheal is bad, but Tomasino's skating is one of the best of the draft, and that makes him stand out in a big way. Its one of the main reasons he is systematically ranked above McMicheal, and he is my bet to be the Hayton/Dellandrea of that draft. I'm sure he'll be gone by 20, and probably sooner... He'll probably go really soon after Krebs as the next best C available in the draft.

It's not like London had a poor roster either, and McMicheal had plenty of icetime as the #1C for most of the year.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Nobody's saying McMicheal is bad, but Tomasino's skating is one of the best of the draft, and that makes him stand out in a big way. Its one of the main reasons he is systematically ranked above McMicheal, and he is my bet to be the Hayton/Dellandrea of that draft. I'm sure he'll be gone by 20, and probably sooner... He'll probably go really soon after Krebs as the next best C available in the draft.

It's not like London had a poor roster either, and McMicheal had plenty of icetime as the #1C for most of the year.
Tomasino is closer to Foudy than Hayton/Dellandrea in talent, McMichael is the kid that has the tools a la Dellandrea/Hayton and that upside. London had a terrible roster early on when McMichael was burning the league, then a lot of the big guns came back and it slowed him down, I have little doubt that he leads the league or is very near the league lead in points next year. Tomasino ? Not so much, and he was on, probably the best line in junior hockey with Robertson and Thomas.

Also I don't see a 100% center with Tomasino, his game would work well on the wing and he doesn't have it in him to be an offensive pivot, IMO.

McMichael had really bad comments by the scouts in the Black Book, probably the player who got picked apart the most.

What were the comments ?

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Tomasino is closer to Foudy than Hayton/Dellandrea in talent, McMichael is the kid that has the tools a la Dellandrea/Hayton and that upside. London had a terrible roster early on when McMichael was burning the league, then a lot of the big guns came back and it slowed him down, I have little doubt that he leads the league or is very near the league lead in points next year. Tomasino ? Not so much, and he was on, probably the best line in junior hockey with Robertson and Thomas.
That last bit is just disingenuous, he spent most of the season playing up and down the lineup with a guy like Castleman. He also got very little powerplay time and made any line he was on instantly better

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
I have only seen a few games of his, but I can tell I've seen a lot of floating around. Seems like I'm not the only one who thinks that.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Surprised at the engagement comments on McMichael. The impression I got, he played at good paces and applied pressure on defenders.
But coming directly from Edwards, I might have to do some last minute tape watching.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Oof. I always thought Tomasino was better than McMichael anyways.

And Tomasino played with Akil Thomas and Oliver Castleman. Niagara spread their offence out.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The MHL level is just as stacked though, best team in the league and all.

Change my mind on Pod being taken by the Blackhawks. Didn't realize Turcotte was from Chicago. Pretty sure they take him now. Talented local boy

But personally, I like Pod a bit more.

Harley don't turn 18 till Aug. Anybody actually watch him play live and know his game well? I didn't get a chance to watch him at the U18's

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Change my mind on Pod being taken by the Blackhawks. Didn't realize Turcotte was from Chicago. Pretty sure they take him now. Talented local boy

But personally, I like Pod a bit more.
I don't think I've seen even one recent mock that doesn't have Turcotte going to the hawks. It seems like a foregone conclusion.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Concerns about defensive IQ and play translating are the biggest knocks i've seen

Thanks. I wonder how much more room he has to grow since he is one of the youngest in this draft? He did step up this year on his OHL team.

Just watched some video on Harley. His vision and shot looks very good to me. I like his skill/skating/size combo. His play making from the point kind of reminds me of Markov

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Thanks. I wonder how much more room he has to grow since he is one of the youngest in this draft? He did step up this year on his OHL team.
A lot. A lot of room for muscle gains. A lot of upside. Players his size with his skating, you don't see that often. He is smarter than Broberg.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Oh really. Pretty young. That might change my mind on him a bit. I still really like broberg and heinola tho

I was trying to decide who I would take as a LD if Broberg if off the table. Spend some time with Harley and he appears to be a good character guy with offensive skill and decent mobility for a tall skinny frame.

He really stepped up for the Steelheads this season as a 17 year old and playing a bigger role. I like his vision a lot from the video I watched. Reminds me of Markov. If we are talking about weakness, it looks like he is average in his own end but he does have solid mobility and a long reach which causes problems for forwards.

I wish I could see some video on his defensive play. Most of the video I see if all offense. The other thing I noticed is he has a solid shot but it's a wrister most of the time. I don't think I have seen one slab shot

A lot. A lot of room for muscle gains. A lot of upside. Players his size with his skating, you don't see that often. He is smarter than Broberg.

The more I look into Harley, the more I am warming up to him.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Surprised at the engagement comments on McMichael. The impression I got, he played at good paces and applied pressure on defenders.
But coming directly from Edwards, I might have to do some last minute tape watching.
Same. Its as if Im living i a twilight zone. He seemed engaged and really fast, but they say hes slow and lazy ?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
I don't care about people assessment of Harley's defensive game since he is so young and it is what takes the more time to develop, he clearly has above average IQ, he will be big and fast when he reaches the NHL, I doubt people will say it is a weakness years from now, I don't see why it wouldn't be the opposite actually.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Broberg looks better than Harley against players his own age, he is taking way too much heat for a 17 year old playing against men. Broberg doesn't turn 18 until after the draft and isn't much older than Harley.

Not bashing Harley as I like him more than most but Broberg could end up being a true #1 if he gets back onto the course he was on prior to this past season.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Id rather go Broberg than Harley. Harley doesnt really seem to have any standout skills and hes out of the play a bit too often. Hell make the NHL, pretty sure. But I think it may be in a quick pass and shows tools once in a while type.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't care about people assessment of Harley's defensive game since he is so young and it is what takes the more time to develop, he clearly has above average IQ, he will be big and fast when he reaches the NHL, I doubt people will say it is a weakness years from now, I don't see why it wouldn't be the opposite actually.

I think I would trust team Canada choosing him to play in the U18's. We typically go with the all around talent on the back end and he played a key role as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I think I would draft him! I like his vision and play making a lot. He looks to make plays and has vision like Markov if you ask me. He also has a wrister like Markov and you rarely see him wind it up

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad