2019 Entry Draft Thread (HF Draft Discord server, post #652)

Who are we finally drafting?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think Id rather go Broberg than Harley. Harley doesnt really seem to have any standout skills and hes out of the play a bit too often. Hell make the NHL, pretty sure. But I think it may be in a quick pass and shows tools once in a while type.

From what I can tell about Harley in terms of what stands out is his play making skills. He's a great passer and he finds the seems to get the puck to the net. He does have some scoring touch as well. I think were talking about a offensive type D man that is average in his own end. But he is one of the youngest in the draft so take a guess on how he matures in his own end.

Team Canada's best D man at the U18's and one of the youngest 17 year olds in the draft. Something to be said about the kids potential.

Compared to Broberg? I think I'd be happy if we took either of them.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Broberg looks better than Harley against players his own age, he is taking way too much heat for a 17 year old playing against men. Broberg doesn't turn 18 until after the draft and isn't much older than Harley.

Not bashing Harley as I like him more than most but Broberg could end up being a true #1 if he gets back onto the course he was on prior to this past season.
His IQ is clearly limited, apparent in my viewing of him, I'd say the Allsvenskan is more telling than U18 since at the U18 he had so much size and speed advantage over everyone else, could get away with so much, didn't expose his deficits. He clearly got the physical tools though, if he can put it all together I can see him being the best defensemen out of the draft.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs D down the road without Weber and Petry... I think we would be potentially built to have 3 pairings that are all top 4D quality

Broberg or Harley / Brook
Romanov / Fleury
Mete / Juulsen

Kulak, Harris

Who fits better in the mix of who we already have? Broberg, Harley, Hienola, York ?

Broberg looks better than Harley against players his own age, he is taking way too much heat for a 17 year old playing against men. Broberg doesn't turn 18 until after the draft and isn't much older than Harley.

Not bashing Harley as I like him more than most but Broberg could end up being a true #1 if he gets back onto the course he was on prior to this past season.

I'm taking Broberg if he is on the board at 15th. But if he is not, I'm taking Harley. I'd be very happy with either of them.

His IQ is clearly limited, apparent in my viewing of him, I'd say the Allsvenskan is more telling than U18 since at the U18 he had so much size and speed advantage over everyone else, could get away with so much, didn't expose his deficits. He clearly got the physical tools though, if he can put it all together I can see him being the best defensemen out of the draft.

Broberg is a big dude that skates like Mete. That's very impressive. I'm not buying into the low IQ. I think I rather not pass up on skill like this. However, I don't think he is on the board at 15. We would be very lucky if it happens and the only way I see it is if other teams below us are going after other positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc Bergevin

Nov 2, 2018
Quebec
After Weeks of talk, we need to have an answer on Who you think I am going to draft this year, we had alot of opinions in the entry draft thread but non concrete answers from the majority of the Habs dans, so let's hear you guys!
You can debate vélos, but Mist important, make sure to vote!

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Harley don't turn 18 till Aug. Anybody actually watch him play live and know his game well? I didn't get a chance to watch him at the U18's

I got to watch him a couple times this year. Pros: great skater, good size, can run the PP, outlet passing, and edge work. Cons inconsistent defensively. I would watch him make a great play defensively and the next shift cough the puck up. That night he played close to 30 mins. I think his defensive woes are a bit overblown here. Hes defensively aware but execution isnt always great. Hes young and has good size. When I see comparables to Chabot I think that is accurate, playing wise.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
York please.

Reliable all-around mobile defenseman who needs to add weight and muscle on his thin frame. Isn't going to knock attackers down, but with use his high end skating, head, and elite stick-handling to beat you the other way. Very mobile and agile, his footwork can re-position him away from shot blockers and checkers. High IQ and high pace flyer with impressive feet and stick. Lacks size but that is becoming less of an issue if the defenseman can push the pace, pass the puck and get back in his end in a hurry. His shot needs some strength, but he still projects as a future power play QB. He was one of the better US players in the World Junior U-18s. Committed to the University of Michigan.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I got to watch him a couple times this year. Pros: great skater, good size, can run the PP, outlet passing, and edge work. Cons inconsistent defensively. I would watch him make a great play defensively and the next shift cough the puck up. That night he played close to 30 mins. I think his defensive woes are a bit overblown here. Hes defensively aware but execution isnt always great. Hes young and has good size. When I see comparables to Chabot I think that is accurate, playing wise.

Interesting when Chabot's name is called up. I do recall him having the same concerns back when. The defensive inconsistency is a concern but he only turns 18 in Aug. Some prospects in this draft turned 18 months ago! One thing I would have confidence in is if his defensive game was a major concern, team Canada would of not had him at the U18's.

So his base is Beaulieu and his ceiling is Chabot?

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Broberg is a big dude that skates like Mete. That's very impressive. I'm not buying into the low IQ. I think I rather not pass up on skill like this. However, I don't think he is on the board at 15. We would be very lucky if it happens and the only way I see it is if other teams below us are going after other positions.
Having blinders on was used when describing Broberg by souts.

Interesting when Chabot's name is called up. I do recall him having the same concerns back when. The defensive inconsistency is a concern but he only turns 18 in Aug. Some prospects in this draft turned 18 months ago! One thing I would have confidence in is if his defensive game was a major concern, team Canada would of not had him at the U18's.

So his base is Beaulieu and his ceiling is Chabot?
People need to find some downside in a player's game, then it gets overblown when a player doesn't actually have a solid one.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imo, Broberg don't fit the Habs and Harley is not better then York, so I would Still go with York...

I don't think you can say Harley is not better than York with certainty. Personally, I am very cautious with how stacked that USDP is this past year. Playing with overall talent like this increases confidence and I think several guys have bumps in stats because of it. Not saying York sucks but I think he looks very good because of the talent around him. You tell me? Does York drive offense for the US or does he benefit from their overall offense?

Harley didn't have that much talent to play with with the Steelheads this year and this was a season where he was 17 all year and don't turn 18 till Aug. There is a 8 month of development difference between York and Harley too.

If you don't think the young Harley improves his defensive ability in the next 12 months as a 18 year old, that is fair. But I don't think we can ignore his age either.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Button has McMichael going to the 20th pick, "Skate, adds offense, versatile, can play behind Scheifele".

Doesn't sound too bad from him.

Ive seen more than ten games from McMichael and none of them fit the bill of bad skater or lazy player.

Can we stop with the Thomas Chabot comparisons with Harley ? Its a comparison that comes from his name, its a lazy cognitive link because of name, position size and handedness.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Button has McMichael going to the 20th pick, "Skate, adds offense, versatile, can play behind Scheifele".

Doesn't sound too bad from him.

Ive seen more than ten games from McMichael and none of them fit the bill of bad skater or lazy player.
I also felt it was overblown tbh, it probably were the remarks that surprise me the most, I also choose not to get too influence by those, he is a good skater, compete probably isn't a strength, but it seemed harsh.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
What are the scouts doing right now? Hope their lists are set in stone at this point. There has been a lot of flip flopping on Broberg/Seider/Harley/York/Soderstrom/Heinola over last few months so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
why is Caufield listed in the poll? i haven't seen or read a single thing to suggest he'll be on the board.

i don't think the other forwards are good enough to convince the Habs to pass on need - one of the defensemen. i believe they're deciding between 3 or 4 defensemen, and possibly podkolzin in the even that he slides.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Can we stop with the Thomas Chabot comparisons with Harley ? Its a comparison that comes from his name, its a lazy cognitive link because of name, position size and handedness.

Just like the lazy comparison of Heinola with Markov.

It’s a stylistic comparison, not a literal one.

Reactions: Garnet76

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

I just think the IQ thing is very tough to call with Broberg. He was a young 17 playing in a men's league where most of these kids would look terrible.

While I like Harley quite a bit, the only comparable with the two are the under 18's where Broberg was considerably more impressive than Harley. I suspect that if Broberg played for a decent team in the CHL that their might be some debate over Byram vs Broberg.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
why is Caufield listed in the poll? i haven't seen or read a single thing to suggest he'll be on the board.

i don't think the other forwards are good enough to convince the Habs to pass on need - one of the defensemen. i believe they're deciding between 3 or 4 defensemen, and possibly podkolzin in the even that he slides.

It's possible that Newhook is on the board too.

ZiggyP

Feb 8, 2019
Harley all day.

Still not sure where all the York love comes from. I wouldn't touch alot of those USDP players. The team absolutely RAN OVER the competition this year. Everyone pit up big points, it's like playing on Tampa. In 10 years everyone is going to look back and see that too many of those guys were taken too high. York will be one of those.

Harley is extremely young. If he was to play 2 more seasons in CHL (possibly 2 World Jr. too), and even a season in AHL, he would only be 20 by the end of it all, in April 2020. That's a ton of time to to refine his game. He's going to be a Chabot-esque steal.

Although, Broberg would still be a nice pick. If somehow Newhook, or Krebs (do to injury), falls in the draft then they would be huge picks too. Wouldn't be against Seider either.

For me it's no York, Lavoie, Soderstrom, Kaliyev, or Suzuki. If it's anyone else then I think we will be okay.
Also, if we decide to pick Laasi Thomson then I would like Bergevin to try and trade down into the 20s.

Reactions: habsfan891

Fifthgear

Nov 15, 2007
Montréal
Don´t be surprised if it´s Seider, this is a guy we don´t know much of but seems to be a great player and seems to have good size. Bergevin went to Germany last week and we don´t know why he went there??? :sarcasm:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Don´t be surprised if it´s Seider, this is a guy we don´t know much of but seems to be a great player and seems to have good size. Bergevin went to Germany last week and we don´t know why he went there??? :sarcasm:

He went to Germany to attend a David Hasselhoff concert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad