NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There are two picks not included on Capfriendly's chart.

CBJ 2020 1st Round Pick (if Matt Duchene signs)
SJS 2020 (1st or 2nd) Round Pick (2nd if Karlsson signs, becomes a 1st instead of he signs AND SJS make the cup final)

(FYI, we don't get any conditional pick for SJS making the Cup final if Karl doesn't sign)

In a best case scenario we have:
CBJ 2019 1st, OTT 2019 2nd, FLA 2019 2nd/
OTT 2020 1st, CBJ 2020 1st, SJS 2020 1st, OTT 2020 2nd, CBJ 2020 2nd, DAL 2020 2nd/
OTT 2021 1st, OTT 2021 2nd, CBJ 2020 2nd

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If the pens and/or Canes can bump Columbus out of the playoffs, we could be drafting around 17th, 32nd (our pick), and 40th (Florida's pick from SJ)

That's not bad... we should get some quality players with that. If we had those picks last draft, we could have gotten guys like Ty Smith/Foudy/Merkley/Miller(or JBD and Tychonick+) at 17th, Berggren/Noel/Samuelsson with 32, and Wilde/Drury with 40th.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Unfortunately not a whole lot of RHD this draft, which is by far our biggest need. Moritz Seider and Victor Soderstrom are just about the only two that interest me, personally. Would love to grab Seider if he slips to the second round.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

SJS 2020 (1st or 2nd) Round Pick (2nd if Karlsson signs, becomes a 1st instead of he signs AND SJS make the cup final)

(FYI, we don't get any conditional pick for SJS making the Cup final if Karl doesn't sign)

OTT 2020 1st, CBJ 2020 1st, SJS 2020 1st, OTT 2020 2nd, CBJ 2020 2nd, DAL 2020 2nd/
do we not have a gaurenteed first from a San Jose ?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Unfortunately not a whole lot of RHD this draft, which is by far our biggest need. Moritz Seider and Victor Soderstrom are just about the only two that interest me, personally. Would love to grab Seider if he slips to the second round.

Its a massive priority to look for RHD from now on .

I think Docker is our only one in the pipeline that has a shot to be a top 4 guy

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
If we forget what conditional picks we are owed because it's too hard to keep track, do other GMs have to give them to us?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Any "free wallet" type guys out there for us this year? The Sens still have 2 contracts spots available and I'm assuming they were left open in the event we could snag one or two of these guys.

I'll throw out a couple of names that I know less than nothing about...

Johny Walker: Leads ASU in scoring at over a PPG. Plays ont he same team as Joey Daccord, so you'd figure the team has at least seen him play and know what they are getting. Not big, but not small. Another F might not be what this team needs, but he's at least a guy the org would be familiar with.

Oliwer Kaski: Seemingly the Euro/College FA with the most hype. Offensive defenceman who really exploded onto the scene this year with 43 points in 52 games. Going off of strictly box scores, he looks like a guy who was never a threat offensively until his outburst this season.

Any other names to bring up? (or scouting reports on the two guys I named, since I definitely haven't seen Kaski and if I have see Walker I certainly don't remember him).

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot him, but Max Verroneau is another candidate. He's a senior at Princeton and is from the Ottawa area (not that it seems to matter as much under PD as it did under BM). He's always been an offensive threat, even going back to his days in Junior B playing for the Ottawa Jr. Canadians.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Any "free wallet" type guys out there for us this year? The Sens still have 2 contracts spots available and I'm assuming they were left open in the event we could snag one or two of these guys.

I'll throw out a couple of names that I know less than nothing about...

Johny Walker: Leads ASU in scoring at over a PPG. Plays ont he same team as Joey Daccord, so you'd figure the team has at least seen him play and know what they are getting. Not big, but not small. Another F might not be what this team needs, but he's at least a guy the org would be familiar with.

Oliwer Kaski: Seemingly the Euro/College FA with the most hype. Offensive defenceman who really exploded onto the scene this year with 43 points in 52 games. Going off of strictly box scores, he looks like a guy who was never a threat offensively until his outburst this season.

Any other names to bring up? (or scouting reports on the two guys I named, since I definitely haven't seen Kaski and if I have see Walker I certainly don't remember him).

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot him, but Max Verroneau is another candidate. He's a senior at Princeton and is from the Ottawa area (not that it seems to matter as much under PD as it did under BM). He's always been an offensive threat, even going back to his days in Junior B playing for the Ottawa Jr. Canadians.
Ryan Kuffner

Reactions: stempniaksen

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ryan Kuffner

That's another good one (and another Ottawa kid).

I think I remember reading something earlier in the year about Sens scouts sniffing around the Princeton team. I had assumed it was for Veronneau, but it seems like it could have been Kuffner too. Certainly doesn't hurt that they are both from Ottawa, since the organization doesn't have much going for it and can pitch the hometown angle.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

If EK or Duchene have not signed by now I don't expect they will be signing with those teams. If they had interest in the teams then why risk the 50 - 80 mil you are about to make. They want to play somewhere else IMO.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That's another good one (and another Ottawa kid).

I think I remember reading something earlier in the year about Sens scouts sniffing around the Princeton team. I had assumed it was for Veronneau, but it seems like it could have been Kuffner too. Certainly doesn't hurt that they are both from Ottawa, since the organization doesn't have much going for it and can pitch the hometown angle.
Kuffner attended our development camp last summer. He's definitely on our radar.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
If EK or Duchene have not signed by now I don't expect they will be signing with those teams. If they had interest in the teams then why risk the 50 - 80 mil you are about to make. They want to play somewhere else IMO.
EK and Dutchy are coming back to Ottawa :P

After tomorrow's deadline results in Melnyk selling the team and Alfie somehow being part of the organization again :)

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Duchene just went to Columbus right now. I don't think there'll be a rush for him to sign there. He's going to want to see how things play out. That doesn't mean he won't sign. I think they are going to extend Dzingel within the next week or two. That gives them a player Duchene has a history with.

They've clearly shown a willingness to do whatever it takes to build a winner, which is something that will appeal to Duchene who has put fit and playoff contention as his top priority. They can also offer Duchene a much more lucrative contract than any other team. The 8th year is huge because Duchene's contract takes him to his late 30's, so it's conceivable that he won't be able to recoup that lost 8th year later on if he takes a 7 year deal now. If CBJ is willing to go all in and offer Duchene 9.5 million, a team on the open market would have to offer almost 11 to match the total money of the CBJ contract. Not saying I think it'll come down to those exact numbers, just illustrating the advantage 8 years gives CBJ.

I think both Duchene and Karlsson are likely to go to late June when they can talk to other teams. That doesn't mean they won't stay with their respective teams. I will be shocked if San Jose doesn't retain Karlsson only because they were willing to offer Tavares 13 million per season. If they were willing to pay Tavares that much, I'd imagine they'd make a similar commitment to Karlsson, which over 8 year would be difficult for any other team to beat. Karlsson is in a similar spot to Duchene, where the contract will take him to his late 30's, so that 8th year is appealing. For example, let's say the Sharks table Karlsson a 12.65M AAV offer over 8 seasons, it would take another team offering an AAV of nearly 14.5M over 7 seasons to match the total money of that offer.

It's plausible neither would re-sign, but I don't think it should be surprising if it goes right down to the wire in June. When players get this close to July 1st, they probably want to see what's out there. Stone was a different situation because his agents hustled Vegas hard and got the absolute upper end of his market value on a great contract in an amazing destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad