NHL Entry Draft 2019 Entry Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Is there any knock on Arthur Kaliyev? His stats are ridiculous but he's only projected to go between 20-30 on most draft lists.

Skating is a point of debate for scouts - some say it is above average, some say it is average, some say it is bad. Questions about his work ethic and pace of play and whether he will be able to adjust to NHL game pace. Lots of the critiques I hear of him remind me of critiques about Debrincat and Boeser in their draft years but of course you remember the stars more than you remember the guys who failed

I am sure there is someone who can explain better than me though that is just what I have read and heard in analysis

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Skating is a point of debate for scouts - some say it is above average, some say it is average, some say it is bad. Questions about his work ethic and pace of play and whether he will be able to adjust to NHL game pace. Lots of the critiques I hear of him remind me of critiques about Debrincat and Boeser in their draft years but of course you remember the stars more than you remember the guys who failed

I am sure there is someone who can explain better than me though that is just what I have read and heard in analysis

I think it's more about work ethic and pace of play than anything skating related. He's not a great skater by any means, but he's definitely not bad in that regard. When I've seen him play he's actually had some moments where he flashes some good acceleration as well. He isn't a particularly "pretty" skater, but he's not slow either.

He's kind of like a lazier Boeser, imo. The talent is absolutely undeniable, anything that scares scouts off has to be between the ears, imo and I'm not talking hockey IQ, since that's one of Kaliyev's strengths).

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
For people who keep track of what it takes to move up in the draft:

Assuming we end up with the 20th, 32nd, and 40th overall selections, how high could we move up if we bundled 20 + 40 together?

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Brett Leason is an interesting prospect- dont know where he'll end up being picked but he played with Canada at the wjc and looked good.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Assuming we end up with the 20th, 32nd, and 40th overall selections, how high could we move up if we bundled 20 + 40 together?

Probably to 15. 12 would be a stretch but 15 would be obtainable

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Brett Leason is an interesting prospect- dont know where he'll end up being picked but he played with Canada at the wjc and looked good.

I'm a believer in Leason but I also think he goes close to the top 10. Great prospect.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Any "free wallet" type guys out there for us this year? The Sens still have 2 contracts spots available and I'm assuming they were left open in the event we could snag one or two of these guys.

I'll throw out a couple of names that I know less than nothing about...

Johny Walker: Leads ASU in scoring at over a PPG. Plays ont he same team as Joey Daccord, so you'd figure the team has at least seen him play and know what they are getting. Not big, but not small. Another F might not be what this team needs, but he's at least a guy the org would be familiar with.
I'm pretty familiar with him..

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Probably to 15. 12 would be a stretch but 15 would be obtainable

Ah, that's a shame. I'd love to move up to somewhere in the 8 range and pick someone that drops. Here's hoping Columbus implodes down the stretch.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I'd be real surprised if he went higher than 20 come draft day

That wouldn't suprise me too, especially since he's been passed over twice already.

But honestly I'd gamble on him. He's big and all but he also has some great skating and skill. If we're picking 15th and it's between him and some Josh Norris type gimme Leason.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming the CLB pick falls in the 18-22 range I have a hard time seeing a better player/fit available than Leason.

Kaliyev, Pellettier, Brink, Robertson and Caufield might all be there, but they don't fit the Sens MO, imo. None of the defencemen in the top end of draft (outside of York who should be gone) are all that impressive, imo. It's kind of a sweet spot for Leason, but I'm a bit biased.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Assuming the CLB pick falls in the 18-22 range I have a hard time seeing a better player/fit available than Leason.

Kaliyev, Pellettier, Brink, Robertson and Caufield might all be there, but they don't fit the Sens MO, imo. None of the defencemen in the top end of draft (outside of York who should be gone) are all that impressive, imo. It's kind of a sweet spot for Leason, but I'm a bit biased.
I have a hard time justifying drafting a double overager in the first round. He’ll probably still be available in the second.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I have a hard time justifying drafting a double overager in the first round. He’ll probably still be available in the second.

But think about it this way. If our 2017 draft pick was doing as good as Brett Leason is right now we'd all be ecstatic. Hell he is producing as well as Cody Glass who was a high pick and is one of the top prospects in the league.

I think he projects well to be an Alex Tuch type and thats a fine pick to make in the first.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Leason is pretty much a guaranteed NHLer given his tools (6'4, terrific skater, good shot). Just a question of how good of an NHLer he'll end up.

I'd absolutely consider taking him with Columbus' 1st. Obviously depends on who else is available, but I always love betting on players with very steep development curves, and this is a kid that has more than doubled his production every year that he's been in the WHL.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In nhl 19 I selected Kaliyev and Pelletier in the first round. Got one first from Minnesota and one from Nashville. Take this with a grain of salt.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We have too many safe picks already, time to roll the dice on someone like Kaliyev who has the potential to be a star winger.

I'd be shocked if Kaliyev fell to the 20-31 range, where the CBJ 1st will probably end up.

Maybe if CBJ misses the playoffs we'd have a chance to take him.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'd be shocked if Kaliyev fell to the 20-31 range, where the CBJ 1st will probably end up.

Maybe if CBJ misses the playoffs we'd have a chance to take him.

Columbus will finish between 12 - 16 overall
that's 15- 19 isn't it?

10th place gets you pick 21 give or take 1.. So ,. they won't finish any higher than than imo

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018

I think that depends on who you're trading with. Maybe a team that doesn't have a second pick that's in the 11-13 range sees it as an opportunity to gain another asset.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Leason is pretty much a guaranteed NHLer given his tools (6'4, terrific skater, good shot). Just a question of how good of an NHLer he'll end up.

I'd absolutely consider taking him with Columbus' 1st. Obviously depends on who else is available, but I always love betting on players with very steep development curves, and this is a kid that has more than doubled his production every year that he's been in the WHL.

With the way the NHL is trending (especially regarding skating speed and headshots), does anyone thing there is becoming a point where a player can be too tall to be an effective NHLer?

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
I want a RHD... The ones in our draft range in the first round..

Moritz Sieder
Antonnni Honka
Victor Soderstrom

Anyone know anything about these guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad