2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Add Bode Wilde, who at one point, some of us would’ve been fine with him at 12. What a draft ! I think the Russian kid was a weird choice in round 2 (thought there was way better talent available). But to come out of the draft with Wahlstrom, Dobson and Wilde after 2 rounds is an A+ draft.

Loved the goalie pick in round 3, and Pivonka was an interesting pick, he seemed to be on the ice a lot with Wahlstrom for a decent amount of his goals. All in all, and A+ draft considering the first 3 picks.

Idk, I have a good feeling about our "Russian Gaudreau" - he is small, but highly skilled in ways Taylor Cammarata dreams about

high risk, high (1st line wing) reward

after the first three picks I think going for the sleeper homerun here was a nice selection

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Idk, I have a good feeling about our "Russian Gaudreau" - he is small, but highly skilled in ways Taylor Cammarata dreams about

after the first three picks I think going for the sleeper homerun here was a nice selection

There were some that thought Ishtar had some of the best hands and skill in the entire class. He may not be a speedster and skate like Barzal, but he is very elusive. It's easy to chalk the pick into a swing for the fences (which it is, haha) like Cammaratta and Golyshev, but this one feels a little different.

The big plus for me is that he'll be at UConn this year where the organization can keep their eyes on his development. It won't be grainy bootleg footage that needs to be smuggled out of Russia to see how he is developing.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
There were some that thought Ishtar had some of the best hands and skill in the entire class. He may not be a speedster and skate like Barzal, but he is very elusive. It's easy to chalk the pick into a swing for the fences (which it is, haha) like Cammaratta and Golyshev, but this one feels a little different.

The big plus for me is that he'll be at UConn this year where the organization can keep their eyes on his development. It won't be grainy bootleg footage that needs to be smuggled out of Russia to see how he is developing.
Like i said when he was drafted loved the player but i thought he would go later mainly because of his size. Kid is so shifty and has great edge work even though he is not a speedster. Im thinking the islanders picked Ruslan where they did because they didn't think he would be there when they picked in the third round.

Reactions: nyisleslover

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Like i said when he was drafted loved the player but i thought he would go later mainly because of his size. Kid is so shifty and has great edge work even though he is not a speedster. Im thinking the islanders picked Ruslan where they did because they didn't think he would be there when they picked in the third round.

I don't mind the selection at all with Wahlstrom, Dobson, and Wilde supplying positional and talent level value where we got them. I thought the selection of Skarek in the 3rd was a very good pick as well. Maybe Jenkins or Pivonka can surprise. A decade later, the 2018 class could be a foundational class the way the 2008 class was for our last rebuild.

Following that up with a strong 2019 draft could set us up for the long haul. Then it would be all about keeping the talent supply flowing in all the subsequent drafts. The crap results from the 2010-2014 classes really railroaded the Judas era. We need to do better this time around.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

You don't hit a home run unless you swing for the fences. Islanders could have made a safer pick, but that safer pick might have amounted to a solid but unspectacular NHLer and does that make us better off?

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It has been reported that Whalstrom is more than capable of creating his own shot. And I agree with you I’m still in shock we got both Whalstrom and Dobson I was coming home from a wake that night and was watching the draft on my phone on the NJ/GS Pkwy,not the driver. My buddy a Ranger fan wanted to know what was going on I told him rangers just gave us an early Christmas present.0

Weird, I was at my Grandmothers wake that day/night on LI though.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Add Bode Wilde, who at one point, some of us would’ve been fine with him at 12. What a draft ! I think the Russian kid was a weird choice in round 2 (thought there was way better talent available). But to come out of the draft with Wahlstrom, Dobson and Wilde after 2 rounds is an A+ draft.

Loved the goalie pick in round 3, and Pivonka was an interesting pick, he seemed to be on the ice a lot with Wahlstrom for a decent amount of his goals. All in all, and A+ draft considering the first 3 picks.

I would have taken David Gustafsson, and Curtis Hall over Pivonka and Iskhakov but I agree. This draft was definitely was a HR

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
No interest in losing for Hughes

Winning the lottery is a different matter.
i disagree, getting Scott Scissons instead af Jaromir Jagr and Nino Neiderreiter instead of Ryan Johanssen because of one spot in the draft and Losing Adam Larsson does Matter Elite talent is elite talent and beats okay talent every time.

this year the cards fell just right for us but you cant depend on that. We arent winning anything by being middle of the pack this year. its thinking like yours that keeps teams mediocre for generations;

the buffalo sabres Sure love having Eichel and Reinhart instead of McDavid and Draisaitl dont they? one spot in the draft can make all the difference in the world. and if you know youre not winning anyway, then why not maximize your opportunity

remember your actual Lottery chances are dependant in the order of the final standings. We have a history of winning meaningless games at the end of losing seasons....its one of the reasons we've been bad for so long.....

winning when it matters is the mark of a good team......winning when it doesnt matter is the mark of a bad one.....but knowing when and how to tell the difference is the mark of a great one

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
i disagree, getting Scott Scissons instead af Jaromir Jagr and Nino Neiderreiter instead of Ryan Johanssen because of one spot in the draft and Losing Adam Larsson does Matter Elite talent is elite talent and beats okay talent every time.

Just, now we have that lottery.

And that means that even if you do lose bad, you're not guaranteed the pick you'd likely need to pick up a talent like Hughes.

remember your actual Lottery chances are dependant in the order of the final standings. We have a history of winning meaningless games at the end of losing seasons....its one of the reasons we've been bad for so long.....

Then again, we basically made out like BANDITS by "settling" on picks 11 and 12.

Thus, kind of rewarded for not worrying about the draft on the ice.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Just, now we have that lottery.

And that means that even if you do lose bad, you're not guaranteed the pick you'd likely need to pick up a talent like Hughes.

Then again, we basically made out like BANDITS by "settling" on picks 11 and 12.

Except making out like bandits was dependent on several teams going off board if that hadn't happened we could have wound up losing out again.

The fact is we aren't winning cup this year and winning a few meaningless games and finishing with 75 points instead of 69 points could mean we are dependent on others making off the board picks again or having the best players available to us.

Being cognizant of where you realistically stand in the scheme of things leads to informed decisions, while ignoring facts or poor planning leaves you floundering in the dark for years on end. Brian Cashman understood that. So does lou. Short term pain can lead to long term gains and only by being honest with yourself can you take advantage of the opportunities as they present themselves. I for one could give a rats ass where we finish this year, as long as we use sound logic and properly thought out long term planning. This quick fix routine we've followed for years doesn't work and just because a few of you can't bear a little pain, that's no reason to continue being stupid.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017

Karma wise maybe. But I look at it like we lucked out in spite of ourselves.....what if winning those late season games had cost us the 7th and 12th picks we still could have drafted Dobson and Wahlstrom. Or had Svechnikov and Dobson

Or if teams hadn't gone off the board....Veleno and Smith, on the whole id rather use sound logic and understanding where we are in the scheme of things and put ourselves in the best possible position to succeed. That way you make your own luck. And not hoping somebody else screws up.

Last edited:

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
I think 72 makes some good points but I don’t think we can go into this season with the mindset of getting the best draft pick possible. I work in college athletics so I constantly see high level athletes come thru at 18 years old. IMO, more of an emphasis needs to be put on developing these kids and instilling good habits. If you compare draft lists over the course of a year, there’s so much change because these kids are still developing and no where near a finished prospect.

Now obviously, developing a more talented player will obviously be better than a less talented one, but good talent can be found later in the first round and developing them properly can still yield us a difference maker.

Isles Drive For 5

Aug 20, 2014
Except making out like bandits was dependent on several teams going off board if that hadn't happened we could have wound up losing out again.

The fact is we aren't winning cup this year and winning a few meaningless games and finishing with 75 points instead of 69 points could mean we are dependent on others making off the board picks again or having the best players available to us.

Being cognizant of where you realistically stand in the scheme of things leads to informed decisions, while ignoring facts or poor planning leaves you floundering in the dark for years on end. Brian Cashman understood that. So does lou. Short term pain can lead to long term gains and only by being honest with yourself can you take advantage of the opportunities as they present themselves. I for one could give a rats ass where we finish this year, as long as we use sound logic and properly thought out long term planning. This quick fix routine we've followed for years doesn't work and just because a few of you can't bear a little pain, that's no reason to continue being stupid.

You are 100% on the money. Even if we don’t get Hughes, there are a few high quality centers available this upcomg year. The worse we finish, the more likely we are to get one. However, we finish 9-10th in the conference again this year, we probably get none of them. We as a fan base need to suck it up and deal with it this year. That’s why I keep calling for the trading of Bailey, Lee, Leddy, and Nelson. Not only can we get back a multitude of 1sts and 2nds for them, but not having them on the team this year will ensure we finish with a low point total, thus ensuring we get one of the centers in the draft. Then 2 seasons from now, you’ll be able to have that center join dobson, wahlstrom, bellows (unless he solidifies himself this upcoming year, which he might), ho-sang, and toews on the team. Would be similar to when Toronto opened up the year two seasons ago with matthews, marner, and nylander.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
looking back, we spent nearly a decade catering to a Prima Donna, everything was about getting Tavares this, getting John that, but realistically what did HE ever bring in? in other sports, your stars recruit others. Tavares couldnt even convince Vanek to stay. He said often enough that he didnt feel it was his place to do that. As a result we had to overpay players to come here which made it harder to achieve our goals.

instead of using the limited finances to fix the infrastructure, it was used to cater to our prima donna captain, so much so that eventually he felt entitled and walked right on out the door. he felt no Loyalty, no Responsibility that he failed to draw others. he felt that his on ice presence was enough and we owed him to build him a team.

now finally after decade we are finally supporting the infrastructure, coaching, facilities, development, all things that were neglected because we were too damned focused on catering to Tavares.

I hope lou Is smart enough to ignore our chicken hearted fans. focus on putting the best product on ice for the new arena, with proper personnel throughout the system. if it takes a little pain so be it. the time for catering is over.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I think 72 makes some good points but I don’t think we can go into this season with the mindset of getting the best draft pick possible. I work in college athletics so I constantly see high level athletes come thru at 18 years old. IMO, more of an emphasis needs to be put on developing these kids and instilling good habits. If you compare draft lists over the course of a year, there’s so much change because these kids are still developing and no where near a finished prospect.

Now obviously, developing a more talented player will obviously be better than a less talented one, but good talent can be found later in the first round and developing them properly can still yield us a difference maker.

you said it yourself in the bolded

no one is saying to tank at all costs, just be cognizant of the fact that the next 2 to 3 years we are not winning a stanley cup. develop players, give them opportunities to grow and learn and if that costs us points in the standings who the hell cares

being cognizant of who and what you are in the standings allows you to make long term quality decisions about players development paths, winning at all costs leads you to ill informed decisions, I just see too many of you being to afraid of losing, to fearful of being a laughing stock and picked on, to do the right thing

if finishing in last place allows us to develop players properly without the pressure of being afraid to make a mistake so be it. get it through your head, we are winning NOTHING IN THE NEXT 2 YEARS

If you as a fan cant accept that find another team. I call em as i see em, and I dont believe you. I see those of you who refuse to see this team realistically AS IT IS, AS A BUNCH OF WHINY CRYBABIES.

the phrase no pain no gain applies here. im not saying we should tank. im saying look at where we are in the scheme of things and develop players, regardless of wins and losses. if we win zero games but properly develop players to be the best they can be, even if we are laughed at by ranger and Devils fans. I couldnt care less.

the object is to win the Stanley Cup and if we finish 22nd or 30th overall makes little difference other than the talent of the player we draft

Last edited:

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
My question is who do people think can be this year's riser who everyone talks about how they really like who then ends up going really high?

Dubois, Hischier, Kotkaniemi, Heiskanen, etc.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
My question is who do people think can be this year's riser who everyone talks about how they really like who then ends up going really high?

Dubois, Hischier, Kotkaniemi, Heiskanen, etc.

This is shaping up to be a stellar American class, the USDP is churning out talent. The WHL class is just as impressive and maybe even better at the top of the draft. If someone has a monster season in one of those leagues, they could rocket up the charts.

Too early to tell.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

this year the cards fell just right for us but you cant depend on that. We arent winning anything by being middle of the pack this year. its thinking like yours that keeps teams mediocre for generations;

the buffalo sabres Sure love having Eichel and Reinhart instead of McDavid and Draisaitl dont they? one spot in the draft can make all the difference in the world. and if you know youre not winning anyway, then why not maximize your opportunity

winning when it matters is the mark of a good team......winning when it doesnt matter is the mark of a bad one.....but knowing when and how to tell the difference is the mark of a great one

Another way to look at it,if the Islanders beat Carolina one more time, or won two more games in regulation that they ultimately lost, they would have won the draft lotto with their own pick.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Sorry, I missed your post Matt. Yeah we are both high on Dach. I hate putting all the eggs into the Hughes basket. Isles will have to get lucky winning the lottery. Depending on how the year goes. I frankly do not know how this season will go. Part of me says they will tank and get a high pick, the other part of me for some reason says they are going to surprise a lot of people. If it's the former. I would be ticked pink if Dach was an Islander.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Sorry, I missed your post Matt. Yeah we are both high on Dach. I hate putting all the eggs into the Hughes basket. Isles will have to get lucky winning the lottery. Depending on how the year goes. I frankly do not know how this season will go. Part of me says they will tank and get a high pick, the other part of me for some reason says they are going to surprise a lot of people. If it's the former. I would be ticked pink if Dach was an Islander.

I'd be good with any of the top centers in this class. When you already have Barzal, you don't need to be picky.

I like Dach's projection into a big playmaking center. I do worry a bit about his lack of goal scoring, but this kid can really dish the puck. With questions whether or not Lavoie and Cozen's are actually RW's and not C's, that gives Dach a boost in my preferences. Big and tall players are always going to have their skating questioned, as long as he's not a slug I can live with it.

Hughes is a lot like Barzal, that would be a scary combo of skating and skill.

Turcotte, Newhook, and Krebs (I read his game really took off when moved to center) all profile as speedy playmaking centers that can handle their own end.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'd be good with any of the top centers in this class. When you already have Barzal, you don't need to be picky.

I like Dach's projection into a big playmaking center. I do worry a bit about his lack of goal scoring, but this kid can really dish the puck. With questions whether or not Lavoie and Cozen's are actually RW's and not C's, that gives Dach a boost in my preferences. Big and tall players are always going to have their skating questioned, as long as he's not a slug I can live with it.

Hughes is a lot like Barzal, that would be a scary combo of skating and skill.

Turcotte, Newhook, and Krebs (I read his game really took off when moved to center) all profile as speedy playmaking centers that can handle their own end.
Almost makes this season a win/win PW.

You can root for the team to have a good season, especially if they are in a playoff race with Wahlstom, Bellows and Dobson. All most likely on the team next season. But if the Isles do falter. We can still watch Barzal for fun. But having guys like Dach(yeah I really like what I see too) or Hughes as possible picks makes this season a bit torn each way. As the year progresses with more viewings more to say on the draft.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Almost makes this season a win/win PW.

You can root for the team to have a good season, especially if they are in a playoff race with Wahlstom, Bellows and Dobson. All most likely on the team next season. But if the Isles do falter. We can still watch Barzal for fun. But having guys like Dach(yeah I really like what I see too) or Hughes as possible picks makes this season a bit torn each way. As the year progresses with more viewings more to say on the draft.

I'm not worried about the standings. As long as Barzal keeps progressing in his game, I consider that a big win no matter what happens. I would also like to see Beauvillier and Pulock make strides into bigger contributors. I'd also like to see Wahlstrom and Dobson make strides in their development as both could be serious contenders for a roster spot in 2019-2020.

If we are fortunate to grab one of these highly touted centers, that would be the cherry on top and really set us up for the future.

#1C - Barzal
#2C - TBD
#1RW - Wahlstrom
#1RD - Dobson
#1LD - TBD
#1G - Sorokin/Soderstrom/Skarek

Beauvillier, Pulock, Bellows, Ho-Sang, Wilde.

Fill those 2 holes at #2C and #1LD, the potential is there for this new core in the era of Barzal Islanders to be a really good one. Team built on speed and skill. Isn't that what Lou promised us when he took the job? It won't be this year, but I think we see it next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia