2019 Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
As far as Byram, he is a dynamic offensive defenseman. Great skater, great iq, and very skilled. He is very aggressive offensively and isn't afraid to go below the goal line in the offensive zone. Luckily he is a great skater and can get back, a la Leddy. but he still needs to continue to round out his defensive game. That said, I think he's a stud and could be an elite d-man at the next level. Easily tops in this draft class and potential top 5 pick.

How does he compare to Ty Smith at the same age in your opinion?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This draft is loaded with centers of all kinds which is perfect timing for the Islanders. It's the only reason I advocate trading pieces for picks, because I also believe this team can be competitive. Call me crazy.

Still very early but I love Turcotte and Lavoie. Turcotte would be a great #2 C behind Barzal.

Turcotte is the real deal. Hughes and Wahlstrom and even Farabee stole most of the spotlight but Turcotte always stood out in his own right. He plays such a high energy game and he looks and plays a lot bigger than his 5’11 listed height. He’s very solid close to 200lbs I think.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
How does he compare to Ty Smith at the same age in your opinion?
Smith was better defensively at the same age, but Byram shows more offensive promise. I also think Byram plays with more of an edge, Smith is the calm, cool, collected type. That said, Byram is in a different tier of talent level. He has a chance to be in the Doughty tier of defensemen depending on his progress next year.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Let's say we have a top-5 pick and have a couple of late 1sts acquired at the trade deadline...

Bowen Byram is sitting there and is a potential top pairing LD to pair with Dobson for a decade. Do you take the BPA center or do you take the top d-man in the class first and then take centers with the later 1sts?

It's a very weak d-man class and centers are plentiful. Is taking Byram the better value play?

Always take the BPA, but honestly this coming draft may be the exception. With only 2 picks in the first 5 rounds, they sorely need to hit on a top six center. Best bet would be to trade down in that scenario, get a C and add another pick. Hopefully LL moves some extra pieces for draft picks at the deadline and it won't come to that.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
If we were drafting by need in this last draft, we would have taken Ty Smith instead of Wahlstrom. Thankfully because of all the picks, it was an easy decision to take the slam dunk BPA.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Kirby Dach, big RH shot center might be of interest. Definitely skews towards playmaker. I think it was mentioned he needs work on his skating.

For me personally, I was way more impressed with Lavoie's highlight reel as he seemed more dynamic than Dach.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Kirby Dach, big RH shot center might be of interest. Definitely skews towards playmaker. I think it was mentioned he needs work on his skating.

For me personally, I was way more impressed with Lavoie's highlight reel as he seemed more dynamic than Dach.

Dach's skating is his weakness, you are correct. I think it's correctable, for sure, but definitely far from a strength. With that said, I really like Dach, he's a prototypical playmaking centerman with size. He is a potential top 10 pick.

Lavoie is more dynamic and has one of the best shots of the class, but if you're looking for a center, I don't think he will be a center moving forward. He had all of his success last year when he was moved up to the top RW slot alongside Somppi and Zadina. He really took off after that move. We'll see if he gets a shot at C now that Somppi has graduated or if he will be Parent's RW, who really exploded in the playoffs for Halifax.

Reactions: PWJunior

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Kane 2.0? Kane is a generational talent.

All that term means is a young up and coming star with new age skills. And he has the new NHL hands and speed. He’s very McDavid light.

The most overused term in scouting. Kane is NOT a generational talent. McDavid is a generational talent. There is a distinct difference in their abilities. Kane is a great hockey player, hes not even close to generational.

Jack Hughes is also not a generational talent. Hes a very good talent with very poor size, and a very similar game to Kane in terms of size, speed and play making. Neither are one in a generation talents.

Still would love a player like Mr. Hughes no doubt.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Always take the BPA, but honestly this coming draft may be the exception. With only 2 picks in the first 5 rounds, they sorely need to hit on a top six center. Best bet would be to trade down in that scenario, get a C and add another pick. Hopefully LL moves some extra pieces for draft picks at the deadline and it won't come to that.

If Byram is the BPA, I'd rather just take him and take my chances of grabbing a center later on. Getting a potential #1D trumps a #2C for me.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It's looking like a very talented center class, matches up very well with our needs.

I'm loving Bowen Byram as a LHD option, Byram and Dobson could be our cornerstone defense pairing for a decade.

Hughes is the golden goose but if we end up with a long term stud Defensman that can partner with Dobson for over a decade on the top pair then sign me up!

This draft is look great on centers.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hughes is the golden goose but if we end up with a long term stud Defensman that can partner with Dobson for over a decade on the top pair then sign me up!

This draft is look great on centers.

Our clear weakness is at center and it makes all the sense in the world to grab one, but we also need a premium LHD as I'm not convinced that any of our multitude of LHD's are nothing more than bottom pairing guys and maybe fringe top-4 at best. Grabbing a stud LD would be the only scenario where I'd pass up on a C to pair with Barzal.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Our clear weakness is at center and it makes all the sense in the world to grab one, but we also need a premium LHD as I'm not convinced that any of our multitude of LHD's are nothing more than bottom pairing guys and maybe fringe top-4 at best. Grabbing a stud LD would be the only scenario where I'd pass up on a C to pair with Barzal.

Agreed. Dobson is the only Defensman in the system with #1/2 top pair potential. Pulock could become a #2 if he takes off but I think he settles in as a #3/4. Leddy imo with the right partner can play top pair but he’s really a #3. Toews I Believe has #3/4 upside but that remains to be seen.

I’m not advocating going defense if there’s a stud center on the board but if the Defensman happens to be BPA with top pair potential then I’m all for it.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
It's looking like a very talented center class, matches up very well with our needs.

I'm loving Bowen Byram as a LHD option, Byram and Dobson could be our cornerstone defense pairing for a decade.
Fun fact, his dad played a few games for the Isles.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I really hope Lou trades off some dead weight *cough*Nelson*cough* and adds 1st and 2nd rounders. The more I look at that expansion draft the more pissed I get. The first rounder ended up being Brannstrom (I would have picked Eeli Tolvanen), and the 2nd rounder in 2019 is a tough piece to lose. I didn't like the Salo pick either (would have picked Comtois who I had pegged as a 1st rounder). Thank god Snow is gone

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
even if we finish last he isnt a sure thing with the lottery

any of the top 5 guys would be fine (assuming we miss the playoffs next season - which barring a trade is likely)

With Barzal being a gift from the hockey gods, we aren't desperate for Hughes. He would be ideal, but a quality potential #1C type to be our future #2C is a lot more realistic with a top-10ish pick.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

This generally could be one of the main reasons Lou is overloading on forwards at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad